A possible STEAL

Deang

----------------

On 8/6/2003 10:20:51 PM NOSValves wrote:

Now that you mention it that done seem strange doesn't it !

----------------

I know nothing about this stuff and that was the first thing I thought of. If it was a quick fix he would spend an hour and make another $500 - $1000.

Just because he's a "hobbyist" doesn't mean he knows how to troubleshoot. He might not have some of the tools necessary to do it either. This "popping" thing he's describing is probably a bad cap. I've heard this described several times on DIY forums -- and everytime I go into the thread, it's -- "check those caps".

Dean,

From the several reviews I have read the Power I sounds more like a SS amp than a tube amp.Kinda like the difference between my former Stingray and Scott LK-48.

If you had your eyes closed you'd swear the Manley was SS-not so with the Scott-just more relaxed across the board,which is a good thing with the Heritage line.

Jeff

Guy,

Actually I really don't know alot about this particular tube amp-I was just refering to the reviews I have read.Sounding like SS is not to be construed as a bad thing...shoulda made myself more clear.

It really might be a great amp for someone after the problem is resolved.

Jeff

I don't remember SF having a reputation for unreliability, this is kind of surprising. I've owned several of their products, and they were always trouble free.

You know, saying a tube amp sounds like SS is similiar to when someone says a SS amp sounds "tube like". Well, yeah, O.K. -- but not quite.

Wide bandwidth tube amps, usually employing solid state rectification and Beam tubes -- really kick some serious butt. They have excellent drive, superior control on the bottom at high SPLs, and possess extended HF response. So, from this standpoint they "sound like" solid state. However, they're also completely free of grain and hash, throw an almost 3 dimensional soundstage, and are very good at making the speakers disappear. These attributes are certainly not the things that come to mind when listening to solid state.

The inverse is true with SS that sounds "tube like". Sure -- warmer, smoother, and much cleaner than your standard fare, but one is always aware of the somewhat filmy, ever so slightly hashy backround.

I like tube amps that can give me the best of what SS has to offer.

Sonic Frontiers made some good gear but their designs tended to be a bit too complex, they used circuit boards which sometimes failed and they put out a lot of hybrids which usually received good reviews but because they sat on the fence, didn't draw much interest from the tube and SS camps. Just for the record, I've had several pieces of SF gear (although no amps) and never had a problem. SF stopped production a few years ago but the Anthem budget line is still produced.

If the SF uses circuit boards the problem could be a momentary trace in the board breaking contact which could be harder to trace down and fix but still fixable. You just either replace the trace with a jumper wire or in some cases solder over the break in the trace. It still seems funny the guy isn't fixing it himself.

Craig