Monster Power!

Hey Guys,

Anybody running Monster power conditioner?

Make a big diff.??? Any feedback would be great!

Thanks Cool.gif

------------------

Sony 333ES Receiver

Sony 36" Wega

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd

Klipsch RP-5s Front

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch KSB1.1 Rears

Boston 10" sub

Hughes DD Sat Receiver

I have a Monster 2000 power strip-on-steroids. I bought it more for the surge supression than for conditioning. I'm one of those with a tin ear, I guess, 'cause I can't hear differences in power or interconnects or speaker wire.

Doug

P. S. Where in the Cape are you? My wife and I think that Cape Cod is one of the most beautiful places in the country, and we will have a home there one day...

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 05-18-2001 at 10:37 AM

I am using a Monster Power HTS-2000 strip and basically I got it for the surge suppression, but any conditioning it is doing is fine also.

I can't really say that I noticed a huge difference in the sound, but just having it there is good peice of mind. I also ran a dedicated 30 amp breaker just for that power strip so nothing else would be on with it....that alone cut out alot of noise and interference that I had troubles with.

I paid $130 for it and I think it is worth it.

Good Luck.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Thanks Myram, I am thinking about getting one.

I always like to hear from someone who has the product in question!

Cool.gif

------------------

Sony 333ES Receiver

Sony 36" Wega

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd

Klipsch RP-5s Front

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch KSB1.1 Rears

Boston 10" sub

Hughes DD Sat Receiver

avaddict,I've used a Panamax Max 1000 for over 6 years.

I recommend Panamax highly.Its a small price to pay to protect your investment.I remember being happy with it when I first bought it,but can't remember now exactly the difference it made at the time.I've never had any noise problems,I can tell you that.The only time that it went into protect mode was about 6 months ago when I was watching TV and the power failed.Had a surge just

seconds later and power failed again.About 10 seconds later BOOM! power came on and instantly heard it click off.No damage.As I said,I highly recommend them.If you ever have a problem Panamax will charge you a "bench" fee ($25-$30), of whatever they call it,to repair it.I like the delayed turn on and off sequence for the power amp,too.They make small base plus size protectors

that are great for the RP's.BTW,how are you liking the powered towers? I've pretty much finished my tinkering for now and the sound is satisfying to me,but not so surprising.Still,when I start a CD,and you get the big bass note start,my friends smile and say something like

GOOOLLLLLLLEEEEEE!Have fun with em!

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 05-18-2001 at 05:54 PM

Keith,

Havin' fun with the new towers. AWESOME with an action film! I am messin' with the EQ and crossover adjustments and the sound for music is gettin' better all the time! Thanks for the info on the Panamax.

Gonna' go listen to those RPs! Biggrin.gif

------------------

Sony 333ES Receiver

Sony 36" Wega

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd

Klipsch RP-5s Front

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch KSB1.1 Rears

Boston 10" sub

Hughes DD Sat Receiver

I also have a Monster power conditioner. I am not sure there is a difference with sound. I do believe, however, that having a power/surge conditioner is very important. Constant power spikes and drops can do terrible harm to a computer. I can only imagine what it can do to my HT system that is 3x the cost of my computer.

What harm can spending $150 on something that will give you clean and steady power to expensive equipment. I don't care if it improves sound as long as it does not take sound away and it protects my equipment. By the way, they do not take away from sound and cable quality.

I hope I did not offend anyone, but I have always been very adamant about power conditioner because I spend so much money on my equipment, it only makes sense to spend a little more to protect against uncontrollable power inconsistencies.

I work in an office supply store, so I see the effect of surges on computers. After each lighting storm at least 10 people come in to replace their computer modem. I also know people who have had their house struck by lighting and lost all their electronics (including their stereo).

So in short protect protect protect your valuable equipment!!! It is worth the extra money. You can not see most of the spikes and drops in electricity, but they are there constantly to harm you valuables.

I have a Monster HTS3500 Reference Powercenter Conditioner...besides protecting from spikes it is supposed to clean and filter the AC coming in and prevent interaction between components via AC...however any possible improvment in sound has been extremely minor, hard to detect...the money should be spent to protect your equipment not if you expect some big improvement in sound..YMMV...however after hearng so much about the PS Audio AC regenerator I am again attracted to tweaking the AC...perhaps that is the way to go?...regards, tony

• 3 weeks later...

i don't have a monster or p-max conditioner/surge protectorFrown.gif. i DO have a regular g.e. power strip/surge protector running to another surge/strip that goes directly to the outlet. BUT, i've been lookingEyes.gif into purchasing a "real" conditioner/protector. tweeter etc. sells one for $80.00 by monster. is it worth it or should i just keep the two i have now. if there are any suggestions within the $100.00 range, let me know. oh BTW, will the setup i have now hurt, or should i just use one "cheapo" instead of both?

Yes Sam it is worth it. Power conditioners allow a clean flow of power into your receiver and other equipment. This will protect your expensive circuitry for many years of healthy use. BUY BUY BUY it!!! I work at Staples and we sell APC UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply). I am always amazed at people who will spend $1500 on a CPU alone, but are to cheap to spend $70 on a power protecter. Power is something we cannot control without spending a little money on line conditioners. YOUR EQUIPMENT IS WORTH THE MONEY. Before getting my monster power protect, I would unplug my system and cable connection EVERY lighting storm. I have seen the damage unconditioned power can have on equipment. Do NOT TAKE any chance. No I do not work for APC or Monster. Trust you instinct to protect your system and get the power conditioner today!! Dont wait any longer terrible thing will happen if you dont act now!!

BobG and PhilH do you agree?

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3

RC-3

Synergy Rear surounds

Sam I noticed you lived in Middletown...I live in Newington. Which Tweeter do you shop at neighbor?

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3

RC-3

Synergy Rear surounds

avaddict-

I also use the Panamax surge protectors, been running an incarnation of one for over 7 years. The latest one I got, couple years ago, has 8 outlets, as well as a coax spot, so not only do I shield the electricity but the cable signal as well. I have a similar set-up for my computer, but it has one for the phone. I am pretty sure Panamax makes one that has both coax and phone, especially useful for those who have DSS dishes.

Fortunately, I have never needed the protection, but just like insurance, if I ever needed it, but didn't have it, I'd be one unhappy camper. And, yes, Panamax will replace up to a certain level of equipment if it is damaged while using one of their products. The $$$ goes up as you get a better unit.

As far as conditioners, I have heard both sides (best product to own vs. introducing unwanted interference) on that one and haven't done any comparisons of my own. But I'll swear by (and so far, not at) my surge protector.

HEY!! i just got in a 'new' panamax max 8 dbs+5 surge prot'r/w/emi/rfi filter. THE unique thing about it is it will cut-off power if there is AN UNDERVOLTAGE as well as over voltage! it also gives you a 5yr warranty on your satellite system (if you're so fortunate to have one!) Smile.gif this one can acommodate add-on modules should the need arise,etc.etc. go to www.panamax.com for more info. we sell it for about $100. avman.

bensilb, i shop at the newington tweeter(berlin tpke). i deal with john y. i've brought him tons of business from friends and brother-in-law whom couldn't get enough of my "budget setup" so they got their own.

my setup:

denon avr4800

pioneer c302d three disk dvd player(will be upgrading)

panasonic ctsf12 27" superflat tv

mitsubishi sr-sd1 direct tv dss

playstation 2

3 m-1000 silver monster s-video cables

2 monster interlink lightspeed 200 optical cables

1 monster interlink lightspeed 100 optical for dss

newly purchased monster mcx-is bi-wire for center

klipsch rf-3 mains(not bi-wired yet), rc-3 center

cambridge soundworks "surround 5.1" bi-dipole rears

will have denon poa-5200 ex amp and rs-3's by end of year.

by the way, is this considered budget?

Samuel I live about 2 minutes away from the Newington Tweeter. I just bought my biwire from John. I have also dealt with John B the assistant manager and Eric. They are all very knowledgeable and helpful.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3

RC-3

Synergy Rear surounds

cool, it's pretty weird seeing someone online so close to home, not to mention dealing with the same sales reps. bill is probably the only one i know there who owns klipsch speaks. john y. isn't a big fan of klipsch, so if i have questions about them, i usually ask bill. i do the buying from john y. though. he's good with price negotiating. he's also been my sales rep the past two years. if you ever want to give an e-mail, it's micronob@hotmail.com. who knows, we probably been there at the same time. i'm going on vacation after i leave here from work. i'll be using my step-brothers computer to place my setup on audio review.com.

I bought a Monster HTS5000 for my stereo and can't really say I notice a difference. My equipment:

Krell KAV-250a

Krell KAV-250p

Sony S7700 DVD/CD (CD Only)

Monster HTS5000 Line Conditioner

Klipsch LaScallas (Whenever they ship!!!)

The only thing I can tell you is that I NEVER worry about my stereo when we have lightning storms.

------------------

wired1@ameritech.net