Stripped Speaker screw holes

MotorHead

----------------

On 8/12/2003 3:15:33 PM JamesDL wrote:

I have tons of experience with filling stripped screw holes on my dad's boat - and 2 part epoxy works best. It is extremely strong, permanent and hard. It will hold a screw better than wood glue.

----------------

Hmmm. A serious answer. I had resigned myself to using gorilla snot!

Isn't it a little hard to screw the wood screw into epoxy? Do you use a specific kind or brand of epoxy? Do you just fill the hole and then drill it?

----------------

On 8/12/2003 3:21:07 PM MotorHead wrote:

----------------

On 8/12/2003 3:15:33 PM JamesDL wrote:

I have tons of experience with filling stripped screw holes on my dad's boat - and 2 part epoxy works best. It is extremely strong, permanent and hard. It will hold a screw better than wood glue.

----------------

Hmmm. A serious answer. I had resigned myself to using gorilla snot!

Isn't it a little hard to screw the wood screw into epoxy? Do you use a specific kind or brand of epoxy? Do you just fill the hole and then drill it?

----------------

Actually, if he's thinking the same as I am, fill the hole with epoxy and put the screw in while still wet. When it dries, that screw won't be going anywhere for a very long time.

OK, I have been a proponent of the toothpick method all along, but I think this thread has convinced me: The best idea is to get out of the audio hobby altogether. Collect spoons.

fini

Fini.. give up all together?? LOL..

Other than demanding a new speaker on their dime???

I will 3rd the toothpick glue option. If you use the epoxy, and need to replace the speaker in the future....and you can't get it unscrewed cause you used the worlds best glue..LOL.. your even worse off than you are now.

So toothpics with glue or maybe another set of holes is my option. Take the money, laugh at them after you get your check, and buy some great music and dvd's.

My gut feeling is that your best course of action is to demand, in a nice way, a new speaker as a whole. The folks in Indy (Klipsch) will back you on this.

You're entitled to what you paid for. There is some temptation to get a small refund. However, that just muddles things if the home repair is not as good as you predict, or if anything else goes bad. There is no warranty on your repair.

Yes, I can well appreciate you want to keep these to listen to and not go through the hassle. However, that may not be the best in the long run.

I believe that in any business deal, it is more prudent to go back to the status quo. Request the "perfect tender" which you're entitled to. If there are any other problems down the road, you've established a record that the goods were damaged and you're being cooperative and fair and standing on your legal rights.

Gil

Spoons fini? That sounds like a serious hobby but you must remember not to try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. Then one can ask for a new speaker as a hole and listen to sounds that are unreal. Ugh Oh! I thought I saw an agent in the next thread. Im outta here as soon as I finish this BLT sandwich. Yeeeeeeouch! These cotton pickin toothpicks are everywhere!

Ha ha ha ha. Attention everyone! Attention! This thread is now closed. Fini has come through again and solved our quandary with his no-screwing-around approach to problem solving. The only man we could count on to capture a box of the very illusive Acme Toothpicks. So rare is this find that there are no known photographs of them. Only crude cartoon-like drawings. Im taking the chia-pet Elmer head off the wall in my trophy room to make room for this baby. It appears to be an open-box item but I never look a gift horse-gluing item in the mouth. Most excellent fini.16.gif

I agree. The thread is ended. Thanks for all the "advice", but more so for the entertainment!

By the way, Reliableaudiovideo has offered the afforementioned $100 for me to repair the speaker, awaiting confirmation from their management. When/if that is accomplished, I will be making the "toothpick repair".

Thanks again!

Jim

well... I'll say this anyway.

If you epoxy the screw in it will be pretty permanent, although you could always drill it out if you had to. If you just fill the hole with epoxy, then you can drill a pilot hole and get the screw in very solidly, but not permanently.

The best way to fill the hole with epoxy is to put the speaker on its back so that the hole is facing up (I am assuming the hole is on the face of the speaker). Put masking tape or duct tape on the back of the hole and make sure it is sealed all around. Then fill the hole with epoxy and let it cure for 24 hours. I don't know what specific brand of epoxy I use off the top of my head, but if you go to a marine store or probably any hardware store, any 2 part, clear liquid epoxy would work. With the stuff I use, the epoxy is clear and the hardener is amber colored.

Personally, I believe this method is much easier and will yield far better looking, and performing, results than toothpicks and wood glue - that just sounds messy to me.

Good luck - let us know how the repair turns out either way.

James

I would not keep this speaker if I were you. The damage you describe does not sound like shipping damage to me. Make them replace this speaker with a new one, in a factory sealed box. Remember, they are not an authorized dealer and should not be trusted very far.

Welcome to the Reliable audio/video return line. If want to use a rotary we will connect you with a salesman. If you are dialing from a touch-tone phone please press 1. If you are returning a video item please press 2. If you are returning an audio item please press 3. If you are returning an audio item you fixed with epoxy please press 4. If you are returning an audio item you fixed with a screw please press 5. If you are returning an audio item you fixed with Gorilla Glue please press 6. If you are returning an audio item that you attempted to fix by any other unusual methods please dial our emergency hot line number at TOO-THP-ICKS. Thank you for letting us give you the business.