HT Advice Needed -- education needed, too

Daddy Dee

Well, I'm basically a two channel guy, but my daughters enjoy movies and I'm been getting enough speakers together by refurbing Heresy's that I've been thinking about doing 5.1 using my LaScala's as mains.

We watch movies, just playing the dvd's over the two channel set up. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but it sounds pretty good. It consists of a Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp and Wright 2A3's. Also have ordered a sub to use.

I've considered an entry level 5.1 receiver, like the HK whatever it is, and have thought that the easiest way to do this would to change the La Scalas to the receiver when watching a movie. I think I'd just leave the Heresy center and r and L rears connected to the receiver all the time.

Another option I've wondered about, but I don't want to spend much money, would be to get some kind of standalone decoder, or (what piece of equipment is it?) to employ using driving independent 2A3 monoblocks. I've got a couple of spares on hand, and would need to get one more to have five channels on 2A3's. Any other options to do this other than acquiring a horrendously expensive AV preamplifier? I just don't watch enough movies to justify that. Actually, I probably could, but then I'd be completely worthless.

Appreciate any guidance here.

Best regards,

Dee

I don't know if this would work for you, or if it has the quality you would want in a DD/DTS decoder, but check out the Klipsch PROMEDIA DD-5.1.

It may not provide pre-amp outputs to connect to your amps, but, OTOH, it might! Give the folks at Klipsch a call, or maybe someone on the board knows (Justin?).

DD

I know this probably might not be what you want to do but from my experience I would recommend this:

Yamaha RX-V440 reciever

Klipsch Quintets

Klipsch KSW-10

I currently use the Quintets and I must say they are just awesome. They don't provide great sound you would find in a more expensive Klipsch loudspeaker but they still sounds pretty big and they don't let you down.

The reciever is $300 at list price, the Quintets run about $550-600 usually WITH the sub included.

Also, the reciever has an A/B switch so if you want you can always run your stereo set-up on there as well. The Quintets are very small so they could just be mounted on the wall or hidden in with your furitue, only standing about 7" tall and about 4" deep it makes them pretty easy to hide.

The cheapest dedicated pre/pro I know of that's any good is the Outlaw Audio 950, it comes in at $799. If this is not what you want to spend, then I think HK receivers are the way to go. I have the HK AVR325 and at low to medium volumes it sounds similar to my Parasound. It's pre/pro section(same as the AVR7200 minus HDCD and analog input bass management) and bass management flexibility is unbeatable in it's price range. You could use this as a pre/pro as well. I bought a refurb'ed one from www.onecall.com for around $400, I never in a million years thought I could get this kind of sound from a receiver in this price range.

What sub did you order?

Thanks for the info and advisement guys. That's helpful.

The sub should be interesting to try out. It's the Cambridge Soundworks P1000. For my light duty purpose and expectations, it should be o.k. What actually sold me on this one is that it has remote control. That is just such a smart feature. My sub experience has been minimal, but I know it has always been a hassle to make adjustments between movies and two channel.

Best regards,

Dee

Use all Heritage... La scalas with Heresy's are a great match. Get the sub tuned in, and you will be fine. Since your a passive listener at present, get a good Yamaha or Denon SS reciever in Dolby Digital, DTS-ES, etc., etc., about 300- 400 dollars.

Tube amps are not great for soundtracks in movies.. OK, maybe just my opinion, I am sure a lot of people on this board will dissagree. Heck, even a Radio Shack receiver in your local store would be a great intro to hearing it all through Klipsch!

The main key is this... (as a general 99% of the time rule..) Keep whatever speaker line you have in the same family. In your case, Heritage mains, Heritage sides, and Heritage rear surrounds.

Dee, my advice is to keep the 2 channel system as separated as possible from the HT. I liked your idea of switching the speaker wires to the LS. I'd like separate speakers even better. I did real well with a used Onkyo digital 5.1 receiver for about $250. They're even cheaper now. Do get the digital. I have found that I only watch movies a couple of times a month, if that, and we never listen very loud. I can't believe these guys that have a Heritage setup for their HT, it's just too much. I can't imagine listening to a Heritage system at anything more than 25% of what it's capable of for HT. I find movies irritating at high volumes, theres too much change in the volume from a car chase scene to dialogue, and the overall tone usually leaves a lot to be desired. It's impressive, but doesn't need to be 110db. I use KSB 3.1's all around with a KSW-12 subwoofer and KLF-30 center, completely separate from my 2 channel system.

Greg

Dee

I have sucessfully incorporated at HT and 2 CH setup. It is not impossible.

What I do is have a low gain phono switch before my mono McIntosh MC-250 amps. This allows me to select the McIntosh C36 for 2CH and my Lexicon MC-1 for HT into the 250's and Khorns. All the other amps and speakers are set up for the HT only.

If you are a component 2CH Heritage listening guy like me, just a warning, you may not be happy with the performance of an all in one AV receiver.

JM

Hey Dad,

Heresies and La Scalas can make a nice HT system. If the components are good enough, the 2-channel function will not be affected. That's the key. I don't think you will be happy with a cheap receiver. To get the most from your money, do look at used and try several Pro/Pros at home. Tube amps can be used in a HT system, but I'd be worried about the available dynamic range of 2A3 SETs. The Dolby reference level for dialog is 85 dB.

A sub is a MUST for HT and especially with La Scalas. Don't scrimp, it will need muscle and low distortion, but properly selected and setup, it will be a wonderful addition to the movies *and* LPs.