HI-DEF Audio

PhilMays

I'm sure many of you are perhaps considering a "universal DVD player" that is able to handle SACD & DVD-A. At the time, the market does not seem to have many players and most are in the $1,000 range. I understand that Pioneer (Best Buys) has a new universal at a $179 price point which I am considering. If these formats do not make it then I don't have too much money tied up. If they do make it then the initial price will be reduced for a great player.

I have questioned folks at CC & Rex about these players and no one knows much at the store level, no big suprise. However the gentleman at one store told me that he did not believe either format would survive. He commented on CD's in DTS surround sound format that any player would accept that has digital out or fiboer optic out. He commented that he could not tell a difference between SACD and DTS Surround.

What are your thoughts on this subject as I have not had the pleasure to hear either format.

I recently bought a Sony SACD player for $250, and some SACD's don't sound much different from their regular couterparts, but some sound absolutely incredible. I think it must depend on the particular recording. My absolute favorite is Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" the difference the SACD format makes is obvious, and I find myself listening to this one CD over and over for hours. It sounds much clearer and cleaner, and it sounds more like Norah herself is standing right in front of me.

BTW, I haven't taken advantage of multichannel SACD at home because I only have a 2 channel setup, but while I was shopping a few weeks ago I demoed Pink Floyd's "Money" in multichannel, which was pretty cool. Although, it was a little disconcerting, I think I'd have to try and get used to it to listen like that all the time.

PhilMays,

Both my SACD and DVD-A players are priced $499 each, so I am really sceptical of the quality of the multi player you are looking at.

Both formats offer an outstanding quality - altogether I have about 30 DVD-A and SACD disks, and some are better than others in terms of mixing. My best DVD-A is "Riding with the King" - BB King and Eric Clapton, and my best SACD is "Strange Beautifuil Music" - Joe Satriani.

I am pretty sure one of the formats, if not both, will survive and replace CDs over time.

IMO DVD-A has more value since it provides some visual content as well, be it lyrics, pictures, or even full video clips.

Vladi

Oh yes, forgot to mention about multi-channel versus two-channel. I personally like multi, but you have to see for yourself if you like it or not. Again, it depends on the mix - some multi-channel recordings place you in the middle of the stage amongst the performers, others use the extra channels to recreate the accoustics of the recording room/hall.

Vladi,

I agree that the pioneer sounds too good to be true. However for $179 I may just give it a shot and if these formats gain momentum then I would get a better player and retire that unit to my bedroom system.

I know that the NEO6 music does seperate the music somewhat. Is this the same as DTS surround?

Also, do you use two seperate 6 channel inputs for both SACD and DVD-A. This too me is why a universal player seems to be a bargain.

i had 1 of the lower end players, pioneer as a matter of fact, all of the players i heard under 600 dollars were really not very good, i was bringing home 1 a week for a while, my salesmans was a little irritated, but as someelse said some discs played well others not so good, not acceptable. the higher end players have dedicated audio sections for the different formats, which makes playback better. so it depends on your budget, but you absolutly do get what you pay for12.gif there are a very few good players for under 400, but they dont play all formats12.gif

Both formats have the potential of outperforming CDs easily... even in many bargain priced players, but my main complaint is software. There is a very limited selection of disks available in both formats, and most are aimed at the baby-boomer market (to which i don't belong). These are often remastered recordings which vary greatly in quality... and you know the saying about garbage in? This said, I have been impressed with a couple of disks, disappointed with a couple of others... but mainly, very few disks interest me.

When properly done, the sound quality is better than a good CD and obviously a DTS recording.

I suppose it depends on your musical tastes, but it's an evolving format which is fun to have... I just wouldn't invest a fortune into it until the dust settles.

My prediction is the multiformat player is the future...

Rob

Vladi - Please, do tell us, how you have 2 6-channel inputs connected into your system.

Others - Here's a few threads that might interest you, two on the Pioneer 563a and another on the yet-to-be-released Denon 2200 universal player:

Pioneer:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=289644

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=281094

Denon 2200:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=289733

Thanks everone for your input.

DougDrake,

Great Links!!! With those links I have just decided to wait for the Denon 2200. I'm not sure if I missed it but does anyone know the release date. I took from the posts that it will be in the $600 range which I do not mind "wasting". My threshold for "waste" is $1,000. I do not mind spending it, just want it to have some sort of shelf life.

PhilMays and dougdrake,

My Sony STR-DA5ES receiver actually has two sets of multi-channel inputs. One is 5.1, the other 7.1. I have the Yamaha DVD-A player connected to the 5.1 inputs, and the Sony SACD player to the 7.1 inputs, but the rear L/R are not used. So I just switch between the inputs using the receiver.

Two multi-channel inputs are only available on the most expensive receivers from other companies, e.g. Denon 5803 - it has two 5.1 7.1 inputs. So one area where Sony is better is this.

Vladi

Yeah, Sony springs for two multi-channel inputs as their way of compensating you for the fact they are never gonna release a universal player - at least not until the handwriting is on the wall so clear that a wayfaring audiophile, though a dweeb, could not miss it.

I think the real thing that guarantees the success of SACD and/or DVD-Audio is the fact it gives copyright holders much more control over content use. First of all, there is currrently no way to import hi-rez music into a PC; and in any event, both formats let the copyright holder allow, limit or prohibit copying. Welcome to 1984; it's just 19 years late. 14.gif

It's just that Sony and Philips need to have some extra sort of marketing angle considering their players only have SACD (being that they invented it). It seems to me that anyone in the market for a universal player would get the best deal with units that play both sacd and dvd-a.

I also believe that the universal player is the way to go. I'm just waiting for the price to come down. My target date to purchase is November/December. I'm not sure if these units will come down in price by then. Maybe the new Denon 2200. I hope Yamaha lowers the price on theirs as I want to stay with the Yamaha product.

I recently had an incredible itch to buy the Pioneer Elite 47AI (being that it won best product at the home theater magazine awards, i think). But after researching all available titles for SACD and DVD-A, I must say that titles are quite lacking for people in the teenage - post college age, as I am (22). There is plenty of good stuff for baby boomers and admittedly, others...but it just seems that until all album releases are released as hybrid cd/sacd or cd/dvd-a (i don't think this is even possible), universal players are not all that appealing yet - price wise, and available media wise.

The titles are limited now. However being a baby boomer I can find many titles I would enjoy. I think the reason they have those types of titles is that that age group has more disposable income so they have to apeal to their taste.

I have to admit that I want it just for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album. I understand that Emilou Harris has a great title as well.

Im not sure which format (SACD or DVD-A) will survive. At least one of them will. At this point it looks like DVD-A has the edge marketing wise. Although I think SACD with its Direct Stream Digital (DSD) process is far superior & more transferable to future upgrades in sampling rates.

SACDs that were originally recorded with the DSD recording process (not transferred from CD, a PCM format), I think are far superior to CD. Much more analogue-like without the noise. Best way I can describe it is a purity of sound. Its just there. Rises from nowhere.