Crackling on my RF7s....

Ou8thisSN

I think it's a problem in a source or a receiver, it is unlikely you would drive the RF-7's to the point of over driving and causing distortion in the tweeters, not in your room anyway, maybe if you were doing a live show or something with them. 200 watts RMS is an insane level of power to be pushing to these speakers. you're probably only hearing it now because the RF-7's are sensitive to the point where they bring out any flaw in the system and amplify it to annoying levels. try using them with a different amp. also, you shouldn't over equilize with the treble, this can be hard on the speakers.

well, i found a quasi solution; sometimes when i do hear the crackling, i switch to radio mode for about 2 minutes, That has resolved my crackling problem, I'll have to get a new reciever eventually anyway to power the bose. I was gonna get something ****ty but instead I think I will get a 2803 or something. These RF7s will be used for two channel in the immediate so I just need something that will send it 100-150wpc and have a low THD. Any suggestions within $300 maybe?

----------------

On 8/15/2003 8:07:57 PM bruinsrme wrote:

does the onkyo have preouts for channel b? you could just get an amp then, assuming the preamp is fine.

----------------

Very good point. You can find some very nice amps for 300. Most standalone amps are going to be way better than a receiver.

Does this happen when you are running both set of speakers? Does volume play a role in it, you could be clipping that amp. If so be careful because the tweeter is the first to go.

1. yes, there are pre-outs for all inputs

2. what cheap/good 2-ch amp can I get?

3. no its crackled at very low volumes as well. I have not "pushed" these speakers. I dont even try to play at reference levels "0dB". The highest I've gotten is like -15dB or -10dB and thats only for a few minutes. When the amp works, it sounds wonderful. Again, I know I couldnt have blown anything, because it sounded like this from day one. also if i switch to radio, then the crackling goes away on all inputs.

Just to let everyone know, I have noticed the crackling on my RF3's for some time. It happened with my Denon 2802 and my current HK AVR525. I've narrowed it down to the digital crossovers that they use in these machines. Set all your speakers to large (no crossovers) and the crackling disappears. (Although sometimes it's a product of DD compression). This is what has happened in my experience, anyway.

----------------

On 8/17/2003 8:38:30 AM dblue wrote:

Just to let everyone know, I have noticed the crackling on my RF3's for some time. It happened with my Denon 2802 and my current HK AVR525. I've narrowed it down to the digital crossovers that they use in these machines. Set all your speakers to large (no crossovers) and the crackling disappears. (Although sometimes it's a product of DD compression). This is what has happened in my experience, anyway.

----------------

If this is the case which it probally is than a external amp won't help. Junk in Junk out. I pulled out my old receiver and was playing with it and it doesn't crack when I set the eq to pure direct. This is because it will bypass the whole circuitry and go direct into the amp.

On another note. You don't have to have your receivers turned up to 00 to get them to clip. I have a denon with 170wpc and I could get it to clip fairly easy with dvd's and loud inputs like that. If you are running the speakers in large and the receiver has to deliever bass to the speakers than it is even easier.

Do you have a friend that will let you try out his receiver? This would be good for some digastic work.

Good luck and let us know what you are doing and what is helping.

If this is the case which it probally is than a external amp won't help. Junk in Junk out. I pulled out my old receiver and was playing with it and it doesn't crack when I set the eq to pure direct. This is because it will bypass the whole circuitry and go direct into the amp.

On another note. You don't have to have your receivers turned up to 00 to get them to clip. I have a denon with 170wpc and I could get it to clip fairly easy with dvd's and loud inputs like that. If you are running the speakers in large and the receiver has to deliever bass to the speakers than it is even easier.

Do you have a friend that will let you try out his receiver? This would be good for some digastic work.

Good luck and let us know what you are doing and what is helping.

----------------

in my case, I hear extreme crackling, sometimes, again if I switch to radio, it goes away. I watched an entire movie today with no problems. I really do suspect a reciever problem. I cant imagine that at the reciever is clipping because I dont listen to it that loud. I have heard the extreme crackle even at like -55 (mine only goes down to -60).

I dont have friends how own high end audio gear. The only friend who does have an reciever is from a Sony HTIB and I really dont want to hook up these speakers to that reciever. He's at school now anyway. whatever, at least it doesnt happen all the time and I do have a ghetto way of fixing it.