HELPING AN OVERSEAS FRIEND

dodger

Hello:

As I have staed, posted some equipment for sale first, and received with greatfulness, some needed parts and an offer of equipment that is accepted):,

I note that I see this Forum as a family.

I am posting this without his knowledge, but Wolfram's MX-110 fizzled out and he may be in need of a transformer for the unit.

As I look at equipment available, I try to make sure the Forum has priority. The members of the Forum have been more than fair to me, of which I extend my thanks and appreciation.

This time, I mention a member with a problem (his Eico is already in for service, possibly similar.) This time I ask to help a Fellow Forum Member.

He did not ask me to post this, it was my thought. Times are not great and prices for parts overseas is ludicrous. He is Dubia2000, for those that do not know. This is not a charity request. If I had one, it would be on its way.

He will get his diagnosis within a day or 2.

Win dodger

Th

----------------

On 8/15/2003 11:44:21 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

Win, I totally support this effort ... It was a pleasure working with Wolfram as I sold him my Wright 2A3's ...

Wish I could help but I plum out of McIntosh equipment right now ...

----------------

Thanks, Chris.

I hope all know that if I can be of help, please contact. This is not a one way street.

I also have a bit more oonph to try to help Wolfram as he is oversaes and I do like to see positive relations with those that are truly our friend.

Not just taking money and saying the heck with you.

Thanks Again,

Win dodger

Hello:

I got it Chris and you'll be within 1/4 mile of the largest Wegman's yet! For all: Contact Wolfram. As a personal quirk, I would not want someone thinking it's for me.

Another note: My cousin was over, may be selling double power 730 - he's the type to want a lot for it. If there's interest, I'll send out his email.

Now if we can get Wolfram fixed up.....

Over the years I've gained a number of different contacts. If I can help, I will as I know that really is the way the Forum works.

Happy Birthday to someone I knew,,,,,

Win dodger

Ole Wolfram is having some bad luck if his McIntosh just lost a transformer since I do believe he is having trouble with one of his Wright Sound 2A3 Monoblocks as well.

Seems one unit has developed a bad buzz making it necessary for tech aid in his country. I know his attempt to get a schematic has been for naught unless one turned up in the last 24 hours. George doesnt let them float about the net like many of his colleagues do with their documents. Indeed, I think I posted the very first shot of the Wright 3.5 2A3 interior little over a year or two ago, this on the SET Asylum, which in turn brought ole George out of his lair to post about the only time. Perhaps he sent the schematic over to Wolfram this morning. George is a very fair and nice guy, yet he can be hard to reach when in need. As of yesterday, ole Wolfram had run into zero luck.

Having the McIntosh nightmare as the partner in crime is definitely not summer luck!

kh

Hello:

Definitely not his summer as he mentioned a problem with his Eico, also.

When one is having luck like that, he definitely needs some assistance.

I don't mean frree, but a reduced cost parts would help.

Thanks for checking in Kelly.

Win dodger

----------------

On 8/15/2003 6:20:53 PM NOSValves wrote:

Find one for sale and we can all pool up and buy wolfram a transformer. Heck McIntosh may still have them brand new ! Paul bought one for his older SS MC for $65 directly from McIntosh .

Craig

----------------

Craig:

That's a great idea. You are da man as Chris says.

You get my vote for California governor. You get to tell him, the one that comes in with the best idea gets credit.

On behalf of Wolfram, Danke

Win dodger

Thank you everybody for your kind words. I was indeed unaware of Win's post until recently. It seems that this summer is really not kind to my audio equipment. Fortunately it's not the MX110 which might need a new transformer (at least not until last night, fingers crossed!), but probably my beloved Eico. I was a little imprecise when 'talking' to Win, so the misunderstanding is all my fault.

But both Eico and the Wrights are with the tech right now and I'll post about developments later.

BTW: In case the Eico really needs such a part, what do you suggest doing? We have a company here which winds transformers (and they seem to be good - unfortunately not cheap) but is that the only option?

Wolfram

Wolfram, sorry to hear of your troubles. Dang.

For the Eico, I'd suggest buying a similar model that needs a lot of work and keep it around for parts. Chances are the transformers are okay (unless otherwise stated by the seller) and you could use it in the future if other parts go bad (short of using it for old passive components).

Good luck!

Wolfram,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I would go for the transformer winding and wind it to 220V. That way you won't need the stepup transformer any more.

I did wind my eico to 220V and it worked just fine.

I contacted a friend of mine that had a mx110 parts unit but he already restored it.So no luck this time but I'll continue my search.

Regards,

Guy

Guy,

turning the Eico into a 220V unit is an interesting idea. I shall consider it as an option if the power transformer is really 'gone'. I am still hoping that my tech's preliminary assumption might be wrong - so let's wait and see.

Wolfram

Craig,

thanks for the offer, but it might be the power transformer. I cannot tell yet because.............somtimes it doesn't rain, but pour:

I just had a call from the tech who wanted to check the Wrights when.......he dropped both RCA 2A3's onto the floor. They didn't smash, but apparently something broke inside so they are gone!!!!!

Fortunately he's insured (and I didn't have my new AVVT's in the amp and still have some used Sylvanias as a back up), but I am SICK of all those misfortunes7.gif . He has expressed his deep regret and will get different 2A3's but this means more waiting and even more before he gets down to the Eico. Sh*t happens but why all in my quarters - sorry but I had to voice my frustration - and know of course that worse things can happen in life than just some broken audio gear.

Wolfram