SS pre amp / Tube amp

Stovebolt6

Does using a solid state pre-amp eliminate the advantages of a tube amplifier? I am considering bi-amping, tubes for HF and SS for LF. What I am wondering is will it be worth while with all that solid state gear in the signal path? (SS preamp, electronic cross, and SS amp for LF)

a tube amp sounds very different than a SS amp - at least with klipsch speakers....

i'm using a dynaco sca-35 tube amp with a pioneer elite receiver preamp section.... it produces a very different....much improved sound with my klf-30's....

i had been using a carver tfm-25 amp prior to this.... the tube amp is a definite upgrade for me....

If you are to have a mixed SS and Tube setup. It's best to have a Tube Pre-amp. Don't underestimate the importance of a good pre-amp.

Many solid-state preamps tend to make the treble dry, etched and metallic. Steely-souding strings, unnatural vocals (s and sh sounds). A natural-sounding tubed preamplifier can tend to ameliorate the system's tendency toward these amusical characteristics.

I agree with Chris and Tim here -- but Russ' post should give one pause.

What Chris and Tim said is for the most part true. I've done it myself, and when you think about it -- it doesn't make a damn bit of sense. The speakers are hanging directly off of the amplifer, and if anything -- one would think a tube amp and SS preamp would sound more "tube-like" than doing the reverse. Experience doesn't bear that out however. Instead, what we find is that a good tube preamp, pushing the source signal to a SS amp -- can sound very tube-like.

But Russ is seeing the obvious here: That in spite of ending up with a HF sonic signature more comparable to SS -- the fact that you would be using a tube amp means the signal would be devoid of the grain hash normally propogated by SS. I think getting tubes anywhere into a system is more times than not -- a very good thing.