5Y3 rectifier question

Daddy Dee

The Wright WPA 3.5's use an American 5Y3 rectifier tube. (Which Geo Wright calls "full wave".) Being a non tech type, I just don't know, even in a lay understanding of what this does. (interestingly enough, he uses a European 5Y3 in other applications and they are not interchangeable)

Noticed that there are still some of the 5Y3G tubes out there with the antique looking coke bottle shape glass. Would one expect an American made 5Y3G to match the more modern American 5Y3 styles?

While this antique tube may look cool and have some fireplace, low light appeal, it could spoil one's whole day to smoke an amp over it.

Also, would the older tube hold it's own sonically, if in good shape?

Appreciate feedback here.

Best regards,

Dee

Don't take this like it's written in stone since I am not familair with a 5Y3's different flavors. But I would venture to say that any 5Y3 should work fine in your amp. Being a simple SET amp they should all have there own sonic signature also. But before you dive in let some of the people more experienced with your amp confirm my thoughts.

Craig

I have a pair of RCA 5Y3's. 40 years old and still test 80, 90 Percent.

The ol' 5U4's hang as well too.

I tend to prefer indirectly heated rectifiers, but I would gather the Wright amp uses DC on the filaments of the other tubes, with the 5Y3 having it's own AC filament supply itself.

I actually pinged George Wright on this last year when shopping for 5Y3's for my 3.5WPA's.

He said he specified the "American" 5Y3 because it was directly heated, whereas the European version used indirectly heated. Or perhaps the other way around.

Nevertheless, they aren't interchangable ... If it says "American", buy "American".

Good luck!

Thanks guys for the informative posts.

Yep, if Geo Wright says American, it works for me. He has also just gotten back with me on e-mail and confirms what has been said in these posts.

Have to say that he is good about getting back on questions.

Best regards,

Dee