how do you set delay time

ballenone

I tried two HT receivers and they were not to my liking and I returned them. So I did not get to this part of tinkering.

But I'll hazard a guess.

The problem arises from the fact that the center channel speaker is closer to you (at the listening position) than the two flanking units. At least it is that way if you have the three lined up on a straight line.

So, you have to measure how much closer the center is to you than the flanking units. Maybe the center is 10 feet away and the flanking units are 12 feet. A 2 foot difference.

That means the sound from the center arrives earlier than sound from the side mains.

Sound in air travels at about 13.5 inches per millisecond (mS). So for each 13.5 inches closer the center in, you want to compensate with a delay of 1 mS. I the example, that means a delay of just under 2 mS. Then sound arrives at the same time.

So (difference in distance/13.5) = delay

Distance is in inches and delay is in mS.

Gil

It looked to me that Ballen was thinking there is something to do with distance from the front wall overall.

But the real issue as a starting point is difference in distance of flanking and center. An important concept. Once that is nailed down, the settings may be in feet, inches, or mS.

Perhaps I'm being too picky and imagining there is a misconception.

Smile

Gil

moon, i have been reading up on this to see if i could help, myself included, and it seems that different manufacturers have different ways of describing it, i no longer think distance and delay are very different. and maybe only in dd is because of the dedicated tracks?12.gif

The delay should be set in accordance to how far behind you your rear speakers are located from main listening position. So you can compensate for various room sizes. You can make a shallow room sound longer, with more delay. Just play with it!

Never underestimate a good whizzer cone - Gregg