RC-7 with RF-3IIs?

LoLo

Hey everybody, I am thinking of upgrading my center channel from an RC-3II to an RC-7. I was wondering if the RC-7 would overpower my RF-3II mains? I watch a lot of movies and the RC-7 sounds like it would be right up my alley. Just wondering if anybody has tried/heard this or a similar setup. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-LoLo

I am beginning to think I should get RC-7 as well. The RC-3II is good, but it shows its weakness in SACD and DVD-A multichannel music. I was wondering the same, will it match the RF-3II since the horn is much bigger on the RC-7. How will it sound?

before i went all heritage i had the, or should i say similar set ups, first i had the rc 3, not very good, for ht, a bit weak even for rf'3's, and i went the rc 7 route, it did everything i wanted even for cornwalls, the reason i gave my son the 7 is because voice is very different between heritage and reference, so i found an lascalla, but yes, the 7 is the way to go, it will increase your viewing ten fold, it just seems to be more natural, and plenty of power-authority12.gif

I have been eyeballing the RC-7 also to step up from the RC3-II. I really like the sound of the 3, but have heard so much about the 7's...but then you know what comes next....

hmmm, those RS3-II should be RS-7's to match....

might as well get these RF3-II's to match too...how much $$$ hmmm....

Then I am sitting in front of the flagship Ref series and rubbing a gaping hole where my wallet used to be....ouch not yet.

I couldn't do it piece by piece15.gif

thats funny tank, i have been feeling that void for some time now, i started with a good reference series, than these fine gentlemen attracted me to heritage, now i have 2 complete klipsch systems in house, my son has 1 of the finest gaming/ ht/2 channel systems for a child his age in denver, he's 14, he runs 2 rf5's 2rf 3's 1 rc 7 1 ksw 12, and all off of an onkyo 797 reciever12.gif, i purchased all of this brand new less than 2 years ago, money pit? yessiree bob

Persoanlly I would not recommend replacing your RC-3 with a RC-7. Both your RF-3 and RC-3 use a 1" compression driver (with a 6" tractrix horn) whereas the RC-7 uses a 1.75" one (with an 8" tractrix horn). It is true that center is very importmant, but what is just as important is that all three front speakers MATCH. You could try listening to the new RC-35. It uses a 1" compression driver and a 6" tractrix horn and with the larger enclosure it might sound a little better overall.

Do you have your RC-3 set to "large"? If not, try that first. I suspect that when some people are replacing their RC-3s with RC-7s they are also changing it's setting to "large". Depending on how your A/V rec'r works, it could be the fact the center is set to "small" is what is really making it sound sub-par. I know my friend's SCW-2s sounded noticibly worse when set to "small" (but on "large" they sounded excellent).

----------------

On 8/27/2003 12:13:14 PM PhilMays wrote:

While it may not completely match up with the RF-3II's, I don't think it matters as much for home theater as most speaking goes through the center and the mains produce more effects.

----------------

Wrong -- it is very important for HT. When you have a sound pan across the front soundstage you want all your speakers to match (in level AND tone). Maybe the RC-7 sounds "better" to you, but then again some people thinks Bose sounds better than Klipsch.

STL, that is exactly my concern. I understand now that unless I hear it in my HT room, I would not know how it will sound. Might as well get one from my dealer just to try it out. Another thing is it will not fit in my TV stand, so I will have to place it on top of the TV which I might not be ready to do from aesthetics point of view. Also the RC-7 is substantially heavier than the RC-3, and I am not sure if it is recommended for my Sony 36".

Vladi,

Did you try setting your RC-3 to "large" -- or did you already have it set that way? I know that setting made a difference (more than just the addition of bass) on my friend's SCW-2 speakers. It won't hurt try try a RC-7 or RC-35, but you might as well exhaust all your options with the RC-3 (you already own) first.

Vladi,

Yes, change all three front speakers to "large" and let us know. Actually you will probably want to watch at least a couple movies before you make to final determination. I know sometimes, right after a change, you mind tries too hard to hear a difference. Sometimes it is the small details you here (when you aren't even trying) that really make the difference.

Even if don't like the RC-3 on "large", you probably should leave the RF-3s set to "large".

I am really glad I waited to chime in.....cause my question was....if you use a RC 7 for the center, wouldn't it be wise to go with RS 7's for the Rear, (or does this not matter at all?)

Sure its been ask before....but I am planning for HT set up now.....................AH -the quest!

Bill H,

If you have a RC-7 center then what is most important is that you have RF-7 towers. It is most important to match the front three speakers. Yes, what you use in the rear does matter but to a much lesser extent (since they are only creating reflected sound). In addition, I'm not convinced Klipsch's surround speakers are the best in all situations. I think a matching Klipsh bookshelf or tower would be better in a lot of instances.