Buying New Speakers: Need Advice

Doc Holiday

I actually already bid an a pair of rf-3's on ebay, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to buying a new set of speakers I would like to hear anyone's input. I definatly want a decent set of floor speakers and something around the price of the rf-3's would be very ideal. They will be going in a preety small room but will be used heavly. I really like the rf-3's so that seemed to be ideal. anything bigger would probably sound worse because the room they are going into is preety small. They are going to be used with music only.

----------------

On 8/23/2003 11:20:13 PM foldedhorn wrote:

I here you can get some real quality speakers from Best Buy. I think the speakers are called Klipsch. After all if Best Buy sells then they gotta be top quality.

----------------

please tell me you're just kidding about that....pleeeeeeease!

Doc - saying you're buying speakers around here is an invitation for eveyone and their brother to tell you what you should do, how whatever you choose is wrong, and why whatever they tell you is right. Take in all they'll say, then go sit down and listen for yourself and decide for yourself based on your ears and your wallet. RF-3 is a nice speak, find 3 other brands at the same proce range, audition them and then buy what sounds right to you. In the end you'll be happier and everyone will still be right in their own minds......Klipsch is a fine fine brand, but let your ears tell you that, not us.

----------------

On 8/24/2003 12:31:39 AM arthurs wrote:

Doc - saying you're buying speakers around here is an invitation for eveyone and their brother to tell you what you should do, how whatever you choose is wrong, and why whatever they tell you is right. --------------

Thats the truth if there ever is one. Doc, you have alot of options. I have the Quintets too, but my RF15s are so much deeper, so much more full then the quintets which is a fine speaker for such a small size.

I think the most important thing is you lay out the furniture in your house first, then bring in speakers to audtion. I made the mistake of getting the speakers and then re-arranging the house to make them fit.

Since you are listening to music only, there is alot of debate whether bookshelfs are the way to go or floor standing models. Also there are alot of "reference" type satellites now(not just klipsch.)

Do you plan to use a sub and what kind? I have listened to RF-3 at Good guys, not in my house. Nice set. Anything in "Reference" line by klipsch are great, but your listening tastes will most likely be different from mine. Anyways, if you win the auction and you don't like the RF-3s, you will still have great re-sell value.

Other things to consider.. how do you listen to your music? I usually sit on the floor which is great for my RF-15s because I think they are a tad on the short side. If you sit at a desk or sit on a higher chair, you may have more flexibility with a bookshelf and stands.. you usually want your ears to line up with the tweeters. At least this is what I was taught. If you get speakers that are too short or too tall, you will have to adjust the height with boards or spikes or other stuff. Good luck!!!

James

Don't worry about Ebay.. unless there is only 5 minutes left, no telling your chances of winning are...

Doc,

My advice come up with a budget and what you want out of your system. Whether it be a 2 channel, 5.1, 6.1 or a 7.1 system make a list of the speakers you will need. some will by a lesser speaker to fulfill their 7.1 set up while other will build one piece at a time.

with the right reciever the RF3 are no slouch. but as others have said audition audition audition. Its your ears that are going to enjoy the new speakers so buy whatever sounds the best for the money.

If I was doing it all over again The RF3 and RF7 would be on my short list.

This is only going to be for 2 channel, and I probably won't use a sub, i've listened to them a bunch of times and found that i like them better than the rf-5's, i'll be hooking it up to all tubes, the only thing that worry's me is that having really sensitive speakers with an active pre-amp is the hum that may come with it. But all in all they will be hooked up to preety decent set-up or one that would match with what i have nicley. They will be going into 1 of 2 rooms. They will either be in a room that is 20 by 15, or a room that is 10 by 15.... which is going to be the more likley case. To go along with the comment about Best Buy.... Boy what the hell are you thinking?!?!?!?!? and the quintets to say the least they are only used of home theater. Since tweeter doesn't carry klipsch anymore I am rather far away from any refrence line. Although I am thirty seconds away from a circuit, best buy, grants, tweeter, and coming soon Fry's. Can you believe that more or less all of the top selling electronics retailers all literally down the street from me and none sell refrence. Anyways my budget for my speakers is between 500-700.

Doc - Get a pair of Forte's or Chorus's. Both are on Ebay right now, and will be in your price range, and IMO will kick the pants off the RF-3s. They will perform magnificently with your tubes, and will fill rooms the size you mentioned with beautiful sound. Since you are foregoing a sub, you may prefer the Forte over the Chorus, as they dig pretty deep. However, the Chorus have more open midranges and highs.

DD

Fry's is nothing to get excited about.

They only hire people who can't speak English and 60% of the stuff you buy there doesn't work when you get it home. Its because they sell Open Box like its new. You can return anything for 30 days and after you return it, they slap a sticker on it saying its verified to work (whether it works or not.. is anyone's guess.) and sell it as new. Also, don't mention the super long lines there.

Yuck. Here is a parady of a Job application to Fry's Electronics.

Its hilarious.

http://braith.best.vwh.net/frys.htm

James