Preamp: Eastern Electric MiniMax - I got a good feeling

You bring it up on a variac? I tend to find those multi stage caps to be fine most of the time, but not all; still, for the most part, these caps are far less problematic than the regular PS caps in the 30uF position. Bringing up these vintage pieces on a variac is the best way to reform these caps. Also, these caps WHEN USED do much better than when left dormant for years. The variac is a way to bring them back to life. My friend made one out of a damn light bulb (same guy with the Scott 222c and HF-81).

By the way, searching the archives of the 2 Channel forum for posts in the January-February of 2002 time frame surely leads for different takes on tube amps. You know, that's not that long ago in my view.

kh

ps- Didnt see ole Guy's post. btw, you can also GET LUCKY and skip the variac but damn if it's not a great way to reform the caps. I fired my first EICO up with NOTHING but my hand on the on/off switch, top off, eyes peeled! I got lucky. I would advise finding one on ebay.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, you do remember correctly. It's on my webpage as well, so confusion doesnt have to be an option. I had forgotten that. Sadly, the loon that owned the second hand shop in PA where I bought the beast DID try the amp by turning it on first to see if it worked. But before offering on ebay, he had his freaky ancient geeber that hung out at the place (who was quite the character) go through making sure it wouldnt catch on fire. This same freak changed out some caps for a few oils and Military caps in several positions but left all the PS caps the same (according to him, it was some underground stuff..heh). This guy deserves a WHOLE WEBPAGE himself as he appears to have Downs Syndrome but is gifted as a bastard with the iron and old amps). Audrey wanted to adopt the freak except he was 65-70 and had sideburns BEHIND his ears.

So technically, it was fired up the first time without a variac but did have someone with some knowledge take a second look. I guess what this boils down to...and needs repeating since it's implied but not directly stated - Send your Vintage Amps to NOSValves for a checkup! Your house might be left standing some day!

kh

ps-by the way, anyone on this forum in the Philly, PA area needs to check this place out! It's called THE STEREO EXCHANGE and it's not too far off the highway. He has TONS of great tube stuff there from 5-6 Quicksilver amps rotating to old ConradJohnson to Scott to Fisher as well as modern alternatives ie Cary, ASL, OTL stuff etc etc all USED. As I remember, he had a pristine pair of Heresy and Cornwalls, the CW already sold when I arrived. It's a GREAT place and WELLLL worth the drive. I wish there was a place like this in every town. I drove a couple of hours myself and went back there parting with ducats SEVERAL times. He had a great NOS tube stash too. The guy's name is MIKE.

Great! One more place to stop when driving through Philly. I have never been in his shop but emailed an inquery about LaScalas to him and he promptly returned my email promising to let me know if any crossed his doorstep in the the next few weeks! Thanks for the heads up!

( this was a few months back, I have since aquired LaScalas)