Preamp: Eastern Electric MiniMax - I got a good feeling

Evidently Tim has done some listening to the Eastern Electric MiniMax and reports this is an excellent preamp. But in doing so, he also realizes how good the tube rectified AE-3 DJH is (both are tube recitified). I was wondering how big an improvement it would be. This might be a comparison of the 12AU7 vs the 6SN7/5692 as it appears as if the AE-3 DJH tube rectified unit is more lush and sweet sounding, this in the best sense of the words. I have always preferred the 6SN7/5692/6SL7 OCTALS to the mini tubes for this very reason. Still, Tim has not done any tube rolling which is necessary in my view. I know the better NOS 6SN7/5692 bring the respective preamp up a major notch, this in my experience with various 6SN7/6SL7 pres.

We'll see what happens. It's a bit early to make judgments. I wouldnt mind a comparison myself.

kh

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Froot, can you once again fill me in as to WHY you sold your AE-3 DJH? I still dont understand why you would sell stuff that was actually GOOD? I know you want to experiment, but some things you actually DO HOLD ON TO. heh... Then again, ole Edster sold his too. My Cary is so modified, I wouldnt know what I could replace it with, with the only thing making me even consider an upgrade the Patheon pre, and even then there was some things I liked better about mine. What was it that made you dump it?

kh

----------------

On 8/27/2003 11:18:03 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Hey Froot, can you once again fill me in as to WHY you sold your AE-3 DJH?

the only thing making me even consider an upgrade the Patheon pre ...

kh

----------------

I was actually thinking about selling my Pantheon and Horus combination for the new Sony integrated that just came out last week.

Home Theater magazine says it's that "absolute end of the road towards sonic perfection!"

Dean,

This particular Minixmax is fully broken in. It was Bill O'Connels own unit. He estimated about 150 hours on the unit.

I think Kelly is correct in his statement about the difference between the 6SN7 and 12AU7. My AES AE-3 DJH is fitted with some really nice Sylvania 6SN7W tubes which are the best I have heard in the unit. That tube took the AE-3 up a notch or two and I liked it so much I stopped tube rolling at that point.

Now, If I can find a 12AU7 as lush or sweet for the Minimax, these preamp might be on even ground. I don't know if that is possible though.

- tb

>IIm not surprised by this. The AE-3 DJH has an outstanding sound to it -- and would be hard to match, much less beat. Of course, the Minimax is hardly broken in, and is bound to smooth out considerably as the caps break in.

I don't think anything in the 12AU7 family can measure up to the 6SN7.

Kelly, you were gone for a while, so you may have missed the reason why I sold most of my gear off -- it sure wasn't because I didn't want to keep it. If it wasn't for Edmond -- I probably wouldn't have had music in my house of 6 months.

----------------

On 8/27/2003 1:25:10 PM DeanG wrote:

Kelly, you were gone for a while, so you may have missed the reason why I sold most of my gear off -- it sure wasn't because I didn't want to keep it. ----------------

Dean, speaking of which, how are your daughter and son doing? Well, hopefully.

Ok, I vaguely remember that. Hope all is well. That was actually the time when the entire forum was dedicated to politics, religion, patriotism, guns, and whatever else came up. I am glad it's back to audio, even though I love some of those subjects; just not here particularly.

Well, I hope your new Hong Kong special will bring some good things to the equation. Hell, while I was gone, you sold the little SLP-94 as well. I wasnt here for that, either. LAst thing I remember, you loved it. I sure do prefer the 12AU7 to the average 12AX7.

My guess is the MiniMax is an EXCELLENT unit and probably gets about the best from the 12AU7. One could probably be happy as a clam with it. I just happen to prefer the octal sound, personally as people are probably tired of hearing. I pushed too many of the damn things here (6SN7 preamps) and now the tube selection is getting cut in half! One more example of me cutting my own throat with my typing jowls!

Dean, did you hint at another preamp that was a whole different approach?

kh

----------------

On 8/26/2003 11:39:39 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Mike, you still on the Joelist? Dont get too wrapped up! heh.. Sounds like you have a lot of things cooking. You might be disappointed with the SS rect. Then again, you might not. There are quite a few that arent bothered by it at all.

How are the Cornwalls with your various tube setups?

kh

----------------

I just read the Emails from Joelist, I've yet to post there.

As far as getting too wrapped up, I think it's too late.

(With the help of the retired EE friend, it's a full blown obsession.)

The 50C5 SE amp is just a little cheap phono amp with no power transformer and a half-wave rectifier.

(At present, a dangerous little noise monster.)

One of those projects for when there is absolutely nothing to do. Could be a interesting project, however.

All I done to my Cornwalls is put Linseed oil on them.

I haven't even taken off the backs off of them yet.

Haven't seen the need, they sound fine to me.

Maybe I'll mod down the road, I'm just not terribly concerned about it at the moment.

Yeah, they are '83's, and more than likely have ferrite magnets and the B3 crossover.

But I like the smoother mid and top end of the Cornwall over the Chorus II.

The Chorus II mid and top end seemed too hot to me, and I'm sure my home-brew crossover didn't help much.

The stock circuit did not seem much better, other than the bass.

(Lynn Olson is playing with a pair of Chorus II's. He's been posting in the other Forums, interesting to see what he comes up with.)

The Chorus II is more sensitive, maybe that's why I like the Cornwall, who knows.

My cobbled Eico HF-12's ala HF-14's do really well, and can rock. That's what I use them for.

The bass is nice, but there could be more of it. Although it makes up for it in the midband.

The SE 6BQ5 amp seems to mate with the Cornwalls, the bass is there like the Eico's, and seems to play as loud at normal listening levels.

I had one night of bliss with the Montgomery Ward SE 6BQ5 AM/FM receiver and the Corns.

The vintage tone was so cool! But now the receiver needs help.

Another project.

First, I need to get this 300B amp going.

(This thing must weigh 50 pounds, a serious boat anchor.)

Then build a Pre-amp, I'm still pondering what.

These two are the priorities.

I need a pre-amp now, I just bought a Rega Planet on the cheap. They don't have volume pots.

I really need to pull out of it.

The kids are fine. Renata is a well as can be expected, and Austin is still having bad luck with cars. I'm too tired to go into that one -- it would take more keystrokes than I have the energy for.

The Cary is actually what I've been using until very recently. I offered it back to Edmond, who decided he wanted it, but couldn't solidify the deal until the end of the month. Due to others making offers on the unit I wanted, I was forced to make the buy before Edmond was ready. Consequently, the Cary ended up being used in a trade/cash deal with Bob Bergner, the sole distributor for Bruce Moore Audio Design. I have Bob and Edmond talking, and it appears Edmond will have the Cary back in his possession on the 20th or so. Of course, it no longer has the gold faceplate, which is now black. Edmond is unhappy about that. My 11 year old "inadvertantly" pitched a box of my parts into the trash which also had some fiberglass batting stuffed in it. Deb wanted the fiberglass out of the kitchen, and I told her she could get rid of it. Deb told Ethan to take the garbage out, and he happily obliged. Of course he didn't know he was just supposed to take the batting.

Do I really have to talk about what I'm doing? I'm tired of getting grief. I don't even want to write anymore reviews since the impression is usually that I'm as thrilled with the new piece as I was with the piece I replaced. Never mind that I wear myself out trying to characterize the differences I hear. Yes, I'm feeling a little pissy. I need sleep.

Anyways, I want to be able to change up flavors in my system, and I want to do it with preamps.

Here is a taste though.

bm_c_3_2.jpg

Kelly,

In defense of edster, I believe he plans to keep the Syrah and is very happy with his decision. It was a move up, plain and simple. I may just follow his path.

I don't know If I would of sold my current unit until I knew the knew one would float my boat, but hey, that's me.

As for Dean.. I might not agree with his seemingly endless quest, but as long he is enjoying himself that's what matters. Different strokes for different folks right.

- tb

As for Edster, I hope so...as I felt guilty for awhile since I tried to talk him into getting that damn preamp a long time ago. It's an impressive beast but I believe he was uncertain about it for awhile. At $2500 or so, it's not inexpensive but considering all that is involved, it is a great value. It's ordered straight from Australia and Mick Maloney's hands...

syrah_2.jpg

syrah_wire.jpg

I recognized the interior shot as something up the Bruce Moore alley. I just jumped on the RB Audio site and there was the very same shot. While it's not my ultimate choice I bet there will be some nice symmetry between the two Bruce Moore pieces. Strangely enough, it almost seems like a stop you should have gone through 13 months ago. It's interesting you ENDED up here. You using that SS pre you love so dearly in the past (80s)? Or do you still have that? By the way, what's wrong with the "Endless Quest" title? Wear it proudly, fish! Many have lived vicariously through your purchases!

The CHARDONNAY, line stage only, is about $2100. I'd probably go the Syrah route though since the phono pre would allow me to go MC someday.

Heh, and the Syrah is just the start of the Pre-amp product lineup.

I only read a small spattering of postings of someone selling their Syrah and going with something else. I believe one chap sold it for the Exemplar EA-1 which uses the 5670 standard, WE 396A or 2C51 optional (direct plug ins).

At $4500 though, it's not a tube pre I will consider.

- tb

The G.A.S. Thalia is gone. Sold when I dumped the Aragon and DQ's. There is a Thaedra out there right now, and some solid state freak should buy it -- they are very sweet.

Think of the Companion as a moderately tweaked out Audible Illusions Modulas Linestage -- which is what it basically is. The original Modulas, and those that followed have most of the effort and money put into the phono section, so the linestage suffers somewhat. Bruce Moore did with the Companion what he probably wanted to do with the original Modulas he designed. I also requested Cardas internal wiring and Dale resistors in the attenuators. I'm looking forward to hearing it with the Dual 70, and yes, it's good synergism between the two pieces I'm looking for.