Preamp: Eastern Electric MiniMax - I got a good feeling

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/28/2003 3:54:07 PM mobile homeless wrote:

PErhaps you can ask the original seller if you still keep in touch (I have the ole top hat testing wire from Jeff).

kh

----------------

They test the same as the KT88 in every respect (other than the hat) ... Thanks for the plug.

For those of you considering a home brew KT88 PP amp, I would spec these in. They can be had for much less than Tube World is asking.

OTOH, maybe Brendan would be interested in buying them?

Yeah, I was just trying to guage Kellys devotion to the Eico. Chris and I both said at one time we would never sell our Eicos.

I actually have a desire to get one of the HF series monoblocks. Keeping my eye open for a pair of HF-35s. I almost moved on the HF-14s that were on Ebay last week. I think runing the AE-3 into some of those wonderful Eico transformers would yield a very nice sound indeed.

- tb

>Talk about tongue-in-cheek!

Anything but guns... And of course, another EICO jab by Craig. Anything but guns and an EICO comment by Craig...and Religion..yeah, add that too. Might as well put politics in there. Actually, anyhing but CRAIG talking about EICO or politics... heh. Yep.

I am just amazed that a thread on preamps/tubes/etc can hover around 1500 viewings with over 100 posts! That number sounds insane. 100 respones.

Strangely enough, Tim has that damn preamp and it's time for another update. Did you get no sonic differences with the tube rolling?

On a tube note, I have now actually TESTED all my RCA 12AU7A Cleartops and EVERY one measures NEW or better. This was a hell of a haul. I am hoping to get a neat guitar amp from it as well. Fini, I barely remember you getting that amp and had forgotten it was a CONN. Now I DO recall it. I need to take a better look at my model. It appears to be a Single-Ended 6L6 design. I'll get it out and get some shots. It's not as good condition as yours. I supposed you got the monster load of 12AU7 as well? Some have Sylvania, others bugle boy... The RCA Cleartops were a great find. I have two pieces of gear that use them and the rest go on the block as matched pairs.

kh

Funny you should ask...

Yes. There are sonic benifits to be had with the Minimax, but they are not with 12Au7 but the E80CC tube. Specifically with the Tungsram E80CC.

The Tungsram E80CC is not a direct replacement for the 12Au7 as it draws twice as much current as the 12Au7. The minimax can deal with the increased draw without meltdown.

The Tungsram was mentioned in the ETM article, but what was not mentioned (or tried), was to have them in both the buffer and gain stages. The net result is a bold detailed and yet lush sound you would expect from a nice 6SN7.

Does it beat the AE-3 with the 6SN7... not sure yet, I'm going to go back and compare that later tonight or tomorrow night. I THINK probably not though.

The E80cc tube is far more lush than ANY of the 12Au7s I have here.. and with what Bill has supplied me with, there are some pretty exotic 12AU7 beasts here.

- tb

>Strangely enough, Tim has that damn preamp and it's time for another update.  Did you get no sonic differences with the tube rolling?

----------------

On 8/28/2003 9:11:21 PM NOSValves wrote:

On another note, I wouldnt sell my original EICO for $850, tongue in cheek or not. Hard to believe but true.

You have completely lost your mind! That is about 84 times what a stock EICO will ever be worth sonically or monetarily
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif">

----------------

A $10.12 value for an Eico?

I'll buy any quantity you can supply, and promise to leave the Scotts to the other members.

And the Eico vs. Scott debate continues........................

Guy,

who mentioned Scott hmmmmmmmmmm I think it was you stirring up bullsh!t!! I love Scott amps to death and would sell just about any of them or any EICO stock for lot less then $850 any day of the week !! Heck completely rebult they don't go for that much. They all sound just so so in there stock form !! Although this was all in fun the statement of not selling a HF-81 or a Scott for $850 like its some sonic marvel is absolutely ridicules. Maybe some prefers the blurred and total lack of control the stock warn out HF-81 produces (hmmm remind you of SET he he) but to me its just so so and all the hours he has on his by now it is in dire need of a rebuild I can just about bet money on that.

Craig

Craig, your comments and delivery make it awfully hard not to respond, although I have done my best. If you are in the business of rebuilding gear, and on a public forum, it behooves you not to say these types of things. The fact that few on this forum seem to recognize these type of statements, even though very blatant, is troubling enough. Actually, I am all for keeping a GREAT sounding vintage integrated as STOCK as long as possible, especially if it's sounding GREAT. I would consider the PS caps if they start humming, but to me, the amps sonics can be quite outstanding with stock parts, even BECAUSE of stock parts. And I feel an amp used most of the time, actually has a better chance of keeping the rebuild away than a dormant amp, capcitors and parts left unused. This really seems to hold true with Caps. So I am actually NOT FOR overhauling the unit unless needed. Ironically, we used to agree on this one fact, although its not good for business. I can assure you, Craig, my EICO HF-81 is neither blurry nor exhibits a lack of control in the bottom (or any other part of the spectrum). Indeed, it's exactly the opposite.

If would make more sense if I wasnt exposed to a number of great tube amps. Why start this type of exchange? Your comment that $850 was 84 times what a stock EICO was worth sonically was unnecessary, as well as untrue. I didnt see Guy start this type of exchange. I was hoping you had risen above it as well. Perhaps we can keep it in good form here.

kh

ROTFLOL

You guys trip me out. How can it possibly be missed that Craig was just making a point? And Guy, you are trouble you turkey. I've busted you several times pushing Craig's buttons.

Kelly, what did he say wrong? I don't get it. Let's get real here. You wouldn't take $850 for a stock Eico? I even have trouble with that. Maybe he meant 8.4 times. :)

You guys may not believe this, but in phone conversations with Craig, he has told me that the Eico is pretty much all he listens too.9.gif