New setup for the Living Room, Need help from the Gurus'

Diss

Ok Im a newb when it comes to Home theater setup, I currently own a set of Klipsch promedia 2.1 for my pc, and the own. So i decided to go with Klipsch for the Living room. Im looking to spend about a $1000 and go to $1500 if really needed too. I need a receiver, and speakers. the listening position is about 14 feet from the tv and the front speakers will be about 13 feet a part. The surround speakers will also be 13 feet apart and 14 feet from the fronts, basically a square. I'm giving these dimensions so maybe someone can tell me if what im considering will fill the room. I want sound to feel like it blasting in my face, and I want to be able to feel the bass, in movies and stuff. I was considering the " KSW12 , SF-2 for the fronts, sc-1 for the center, and ss-1 for the surrounds. STill dont know what kind of reciever to buy. Keep in mind im new to this so correct me if im going in the wrong direction. And if im gonna need to take a loan out or im allready overpowering the room.

Thanks

The Synergy is a good line. Its not the same as reference line, but not bad. You can find Synergy 6 for under 900.00. That will leave you with about $600.00 for a good AVR. Synergy 6 is sb1, sc1, ss1, ksw10.

If you go the route of SF-2, ss1, sc1, ksw12, some place on the web have them as the following:

289 for the KSW-12,

468 for the SF-2,

250 for the SC1,

$299 for the SS1

Which equals 1306

Or go with Reference 15s for the same price.

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=976&crid=63&cat_name=Home+Theater+Systems

Choose the RW-12 instead of the JBL and you are in Reference line instead of synergy for $50.00 more.

James

keep in mind that everything you are considering are entry level. reference has synergy beaten in all categories, sound and build, i had (have) the ksw 12 sub, and once i bought cornwalls it could no longer be heard-felt, so it is now my sons. they are better than average speakers, and would give you alot of what you are asking for, but reference is just alot more speaker12.gif

ok since the synergy are ok speakers and the RF-15's that were suggested are a better line of speakers, would they get the job done. Anything has to be better than what I have, I currently have a Aiwa mini 5.1 system, it sounded good in the apartment but now it doesnt fill the room without distorting. If I go with the RF-15's what kinda reciever and im gonna be looking at. Like how much power out am i gonna need per channel, do i need a 100 W out since the speakers are 100w continuas? And are pioneer recievers good, a firiend told me that had bad soound?

Thanks

Diss,

If you are wondering if the RF-15s will do the job versus the Synergy... you are in for one big surprise. They rock. Of course, RF-35s are much better and RF7s are even better, but you are in a much higher price class. You can audition the Synergys at Best Buy. I see you are from Texas. There are a few dealers around I think you can listen to the RF-15s in the store.

You are going to first have to distinguish what the Pioneer is.

Are you looking at the Regular Pioneer series, which is built for the mass market crowd? Yes, some of the lower end models do sound bad. Lots of distortion at times. BUT... almost AVRs at the Mass Market crowd will sound bad. High Distortion, hiss noise, humming sounds.. lousy reproduction, sound always seemed colored..etc etc. This is not a shot at them, its just reality. They cost less. If you go Pioneer Elite, however, much like the Synergy versus Reference lines, you will be amazed at the regular line versus the elite line.

I have a Kenwood 1080VR (the only affordable Dolby Digital AVR when I started HT) and hooked it up my little quintets and the results were decent but then I got my PE VSX43TX, I was truly amazed at the difference. I think if you step up to a PE, even your friend will be amazed.

One thing, if you decide to go PE, do not get the VSX-41TX. It has higher distortion and the build quality is not up to par. You can get the VSX43TX for about 500.00 on Ebay and unitedonelineshopping.com or you can get the much better VSX-45TX for about 600.00. Search google.com if you need leads.

The price has dropped as the newet 53tx and 55txi has arrived.

I personally feel its better to get a used better product then a new lower quality product. Just be careful because sometimes on EBay, used product sells for as much as new product.

Just listen alot. You will be amazed at what is possible.

I would consider using the reciever you have now. Buy the best speakers you can, and upgrade your reciever later if you you find it unacceptable. My leftover Aiwa reciever is adequate for now, but I am running JBL N28s, a less efficient, less revealing speaker than what Klipsch produces.

Also consider used Heritage. I now it's like a mantra around here, but if you can deal with their size and placement issues, a Heresy/SVS setup is not altogether out of reach. If you get good deals, you would certainly have enough left for a reciever.

----------------

On 8/27/2003 10:31:37 AM chinoloco wrote:

Diss,

If you are wondering if the RF-15s will do the job versus the Synergy... you are in for one big surprise. They rock. Of course, RF-35s are much better and RF7s are even better, but you are in a much higher price class. You can audition the Synergys at Best Buy. I see you are from Texas. There are a few dealers around I think you can listen to the RF-15s in the store.

You are going to first have to distinguish what the Pioneer is.

Are you looking at the Regular Pioneer series, which is built for the mass market crowd? Yes, some of the lower end models do sound bad. Lots of distortion at times. BUT... almost AVRs at the Mass Market crowd will sound bad. High Distortion, hiss noise, humming sounds.. lousy reproduction, sound always seemed colored..etc etc. This is not a shot at them, its just reality. They cost less. If you go Pioneer Elite, however, much like the Synergy versus Reference lines, you will be amazed at the regular line versus the elite line.

I have a Kenwood 1080VR (the only affordable Dolby Digital AVR when I started HT) and hooked it up my little quintets and the results were decent but then I got my PE VSX43TX, I was truly amazed at the difference. I think if you step up to a PE, even your friend will be amazed.

One thing, if you decide to go PE, do not get the VSX-41TX. It has higher distortion and the build quality is not up to par. You can get the VSX43TX for about 500.00 on Ebay and unitedonelineshopping.com or you can get the much better VSX-45TX for about 600.00. Search google.com if you need leads.

The price has dropped as the newet 53tx and 55txi has arrived.

I personally feel its better to get a used better product then a new lower quality product. Just be careful because sometimes on EBay, used product sells for as much as new product.

Just listen alot. You will be amazed at what is possible.

----------------

I have to disaggree with your comment that all lower end recievers sound bad. personally, I would never spend money on a "high end" receiver, because it's still just that: a receiver. high end receivers suffer the same negatives as low ones, it's not like they have magical parts that allow all the components within the receiver to pick up zero interference between eachother, and have the equivilant of seperate power supplies. I would just get the cheaper receiver, especially at that price range.I have had to pioneer's and they work fine.

----------------

On 8/27/2003 12:45:53 PM prodj101 wrote:

high end receivers suffer the same negatives as low ones, it's not like they have magical parts that allow all the components within the receiver to pick up zero interference between eachother, and have the equivilant of seperate power supplies. I would just get the cheaper receiver, especially at that price range.I have had to pioneer's and they work fine.

----------------

Um, but high-end recievers DO have seperate powersupplies in them. I know my 3801 has 4, and the Denon 5803s have 8. You're right: you won't get zero interference but the higher end models do address this best they can. Not only that, but lower end recievers have much cheaper DACs (96khz and possibly lower) which is much more noticable to the average listener than power interference (at least on the scale of reciever vs. seperates).

I didn't check what his budget would allow, but there is a definate difference between the reciever lineups, IMHO.

I just read a good review on the Panasonic SA HE200 HT receiver, Crutchield. com has some in their scratch and dent area for only 339.00 or new for 399.00........sounds like a good Basic unit to start out with along with the Synergy 6 recommendation................jmo

i have run a set of rf 3's on an yamaha 50 wat per channel, reciever, and to be honest i still could not turn it up all the way, so do not worry especially in the beginning about max output, and listen to the guys about some used heritage, but that takes a little more patience. and always remember, as far as recievers go, you do!!!! get what you pay for, the posts about power supplies, and dac are so true, you can hear the difference, especially on klipsch12.gif

Yep,there is a BIG difference in avr's,from 99.00 to 4500.00 you will hear a BIG difference,no doubt.Thats not to say a 139.00 Pioneer cannot do the job,it can,just not as well as a more expensive avr.If you can spend at about 400.00(or more) you can get a good avr with decent quality components inside.On the speaker end I would go used older Klipsch or REF line,rf 3's would be great and are still widely available.If you can spend a little more now(I hear ya) it may save you taking a loss when you upgrade sooner rather than later.

I have to disaggree with your comment that all lower end recievers sound bad. personally, I would never spend money on a "high end" receiver, because it's still just that: a receiver. high end receivers suffer the same negatives as low ones, it's not like they have magical parts that allow all the components within the receiver to pick up zero interference between eachother, and have the equivilant of seperate power supplies. I would just get the cheaper receiver, especially at that price range.I have had to pioneer's and they work fine.

----------------

Just as someone else mentioned already, the improved DACs and the multiple Amps do make a huge difference. You just do not get continuous power with the lower end guys. The specs show Max Power, not constant power. The Functionality of the AVR is very important too. Can you set the crossover settings for the LFE? Does it have Digital Audio Support? Can you set speaker distances, speaker delays and amount of sound from each speaker to align them better? Can you run a Subwoofer with the speakers set to "Large" or do thay have to be "Small"? All these things contribute to finished sound output your ears hear.

Other things to consider:

How many Audio/Video/Digital inputs and outputs are available?

My most important setting is:

Can you listen to "Direct Source" or do you have to chose one of their "Colored" modes like Stereo, Jazz Club...etc. Listening to "Direct Source" on my mom's new kenwood ($299 HITB things) and my Elite are as far apart as night and day.

Do a blind test one day. You will be impressed how much difference there really is.

Well I've come to one conclusion, and that is Im paranoid. Every since i posted here all I've been able to think about is getting the best system for the money. Then I go through all the specs on the speakers, and I keep asking my self is this gonna be what I want, and thinking maybe I should look at the next level speaker. I started at the synergy series SF-2's and am now thinking of RF-35 line, with at least a RW-12. As for a reciever I'm still not sure what would be the best buy (about $500). Im so paranoid that im gonna get a set of speaker,reciever, and gonna sit down to listen and enjoy it, and think Dang it why didn't I go with the bigger stuff 8.gif. Cause its alot easier to save a little more now then, buy and have to save all over again to get the good stuff and repeat this whole process. Anyways Im still searching for good deals. And Thanks for everyone's replys and suggestions, there greatly appreciated.