Upgrading AL Crossovers

rtaylor

My 86 Lascala's have the AL crossovers and I'm looking to build a set of type A's. Can or should I use any of the parts that are in these already? In the future I also intend to build a set of Al K's crossover but would like to hear what all the raves about the simple A's are about. The price isn't a concern here.

Does anyone have a list of components and maybe a location of where they are available? Thanks, Randy

Thanks John,

I'm printing the files now. The DHA looks good. On the type A it looks like the AL can be changed by adding two new parts? The 13uF cap and the T2A. Or will the T3A that's in there and the 8uF cap work?

There are some blurry parts on the AL schematic. Thanks, Randy

The Type AL has a 2nd order high pass on the squawker and maybe some EQ; the Type A & AA have a first order. You must change to the values of the A/AA if you want that type of configuration. I believe you can reuse the T3 autoformer. I'd try before I'd buy another autoformer. Both the Type A & AA sound good IF you take out the zener diodes the AA has on the tweeter. If you use premium components either the A or AA will sound great. The Type A has little to protect the tweeter from too much power, though. That's why I offered the DHA design. It will also attenuate the tweeter 1 dB to recreate the Type AA voicing.