5.1 vs 6.1 vs 7.1

i080054

hi guys,

i'm setting up what i thought would be a very simple, straight forward home theatre. as i do the deep dive into the details it becomes clear that nothing is clear! everyone you talk to, everything you read seems to point in different directions. i'm sure many of you have similar experience so i'll stop ranting...

i was initially set on 7.1 based on it being "latest & greatest". talking to a few salesmen i was given the impression 7.1 was overkill since most content is still produced in 5.1. that said does it make more sense to get a more basic receiver (i'm looking at onkyo - any comments?) and less speakers and upgrade when 7.1 is more mainstream or did i just get poor advice?

thanks for your help!

There are quie a few movies now that uses Dolby Digital EX (5.1 plus a third non discrete surround channel) and DTS-ES (Discrete and non discrete flavors).

Daredevil, The Two Towers, Attack of the clones. are movies that are either DD-EX or DTS-ES.

Here is a excerpt that helps explains this stuff.

The page is: http://www.timefordvd.com/ref/THXSurroundEX.shtml

THX Surround EX, also known as Dolby Digital EX, refers to the Dolby Digital version of the new "6.1"-channel surround sound format that extends the 5.1-channel surround sound format with one (or two) additional speaker(s) located in the back of the audience (i.e., back surround channel). THX Surround EX is actually a 5.1-channel format with the back surround audio channel matrixed into those of the right and left surround. The back surround channel is matrixed in similar fashion as the front center channel is matrixed into the front right and left channels in the Dolby Surround Pro-Logic format. As such, the back surround channel is not discrete and therefore THX Surround EX is not a true "6.1" format.

What about the extended surround "7.1" format? Well, "7.1" is not a true surround sound format. Rather it refers to home theater equipment manufacturers' proprietary implementation of two back surround channels using the same back surround audio signal that was discussed above. Usually, the audio signal fed to the two back surround channels are identical, but some manufacturers may choose to mix some information from the left and right surrounds. Again, these are proprietary implementations that vary across manufacturers and are not industry standards. The use of two back surround speakers fills in the sound better from the rear of the audience than single back surround speaker implementations.

http://www.timefordvd.com/ref/dts-ES.shtml

DTS Extended Surround refers to the Digital Theater Sound's version of the new "6.1"-channel surround sound format that extends the 5.1-channel surround sound format with one (or two) additional speaker(s) located in the back of the audience (i.e., back surround channel). DTS Extended Surround (or DTS-ES for short) comes in two flavors: (1) DTS Extended Surround Matrix, or (2) DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1.

I have been looking at new recievers for some time now, and am planning on going with a 6.1 receiver which has the capabilities of 5.1 as well. 7.1 does not impress me much, with little to no DVD's out in this format yet and the fact that I have no desire to set up two more speakers in the side of the room.

I read somewhere that Yamaha has an 8.1 reciever out already? Which really confuses me because if things are only in 6.1, very little in 7.1, when are they ever going get around to 8.1? Point being, do what you think will do you best and keep you happy the longest. If you feel the need for a 7.1, go for it, I have no need on my end.

GO at least 6.1 as it will be pretty much the standard for good DVDs in the near future......7.1 is not much above 6.1 other than the 2 rears in liue of the rear center.....which depending on room size may not matter too much.......

hth

7.1 with the right processor adds a bit more to the overall surround experiance than a 5.1 or 6.1 IMHO. Having two rears and sides makes it easier to project sound from all angles.

The key is having a good processor that can convert the 2.0, 5.1 or 6.1 into a high quality, well defined 7.1

JM

I think 7.1 is better then 6.1 because you will have better fill.

It won't matter because EVERYTHING out right now is 5.1 with the sound combined for the third rear channel. Even your 6.1/7.1 is still just enhanced 5.1.

Getting 7.1 shouldn't cost you that much more and its just more flexible in case you want to get a little more fill in sound for the room. Also think about the type of speakers you are going to put in. if you use a center for your rear, its hard physically to put in. 1 bookshelf or surround may not be so good at filling in the room, so if you can do it, go with 7 speakers.

To be honest, there is nothing out in 6.1 that is a discrete channel (dedicated, mixed for that specific channel). Everything in the 6th channel is just the two surrounds combined.

----------------

On 9/6/2003 3:16:21 AM chinoloco wrote:

I think 7.1 is better then 6.1 because you will have better fill.

It won't matter because EVERYTHING out right now is 5.1 with the sound combined for the third rear channel. Even your 6.1/7.1 is still just enhanced 5.1.

Getting 7.1 shouldn't cost you that much more and its just more flexible in case you want to get a little more fill in sound for the room. Also think about the type of speakers you are going to put in. if you use a center for your rear, its hard physically to put in. 1 bookshelf or surround may not be so good at filling in the room, so if you can do it, go with 7 speakers.

To be honest, there is nothing out in 6.1 that is a discrete channel (dedicated, mixed for that specific channel). Everything in the 6th channel is just the two surrounds combined.

----------------

There are a lot of movies out now with a discrete 6 channel.

What are we going to do when the 11.1 format comes out and is the norm? I think I will need a bigger room 6.gif6.gif

----------------

On 9/6/2003 2:13:37 PM easylistener wrote:

There are a lot of movies out now with a discrete 6 channel.

What are we going to do when the 11.1 format comes out and is the norm? I think I will need a bigger room
6.gif6.gif

----------------

Easy,

Are you sure? I know there are alot of DTS ES, but most of those DVDs are Matrixed 6.1 and not discrete 6.1. I am more interested in finding all the discrete 6.1 DVDs out there.

Yikes! 6.gif SDDS? Hey m00n, I am all for the latest technology too. But as "Oven Mit" in the Arby's comercials says, "Will it ever en----d?....." (LOL) Please, correct me if I am wrong but, SDDS appears to currently apply to only commercial setups. Is this true? I too, would enjoy experiencing SDDS as well. Let us know if you hear anything on the consumer-front, m00n. Getting back to 7.1, I must recommend it highly to "i080054". I have 5.1 in my video production suite and 7.1 in my theater. And, although the 5.1 sounds dazzling at times, I receive so many more comments about the 7.1 setup, such as, "Hey! I keep hearing sounds coming from behind me. Are there speakers back there somewhere?" (Yes....in the walls!) 7.1 really takes things to the next dimension. As for 7.1 being considered as "overkill", I can only say that the one aspect that I can consider to be "overkill" could be 7.1's actual price (extra speakers and the processing equipment, etc.). But, if that is not an issue for you, then, I'd say go for it!

-Picky 2.gif

thanks for all the input guys. i think i'm sold on 7.1. to get me there i'm looking at a pioneer elite vsx-55tx driving two sets of rcr-5s as my side and back surrounds (rb-75s + rc-7 in the front). ceiling mounts while not optimal appear to be my best bet based on wife feedback, room layout, small kids etc.

any feedback on the receiver selection? any placement experience for the ceiling surrounds? i'm under the impression sides should be on either side of main listening area, rears roughly 5 feet back closer together. i'd like to get this right the first time!

thanks!

On that receiver selection, it's pretty hard to beat your choice of the Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi. That's Pioneer's brand new answer to those who don't wish to lay out a king's ransom for the 49, yet still want many of the 49's features, including i-Link and bass management for SASC and DVD-Audio. I think it's a great choice. The only other way I might go would to be to look at what Denon offers. But, I'm sold on the Elites at this point. HAPPY SHOPPING!

-Picky 9.gif

• 2 months later...

Not sure if there really would be a difference between 5.1 & 6.1 if you are using dipolars as surrounds as the sweespot would anyway be wide and if you are using good speakers the imaging should be good as well so as to create a good soundstage behind you...

Anyway the above is only for movies. As per latest theories this arrangement would not be right for music as for a seamless soundfield you need 5 identical speakers that too at specific angles from the centre of the listening point so as that all speakers are in the circumference of an imaginary circle....Blah..Blah..Blah !!!

God these things are so confusing that I would rather cling on to my 2 channel for music !!!!7.gif