Cheap speaker switch...

Mallette

A couple of years ago I paid 60.00 for a Niles DSP1 amp selector which is the only one I know on the market designed to allow switching between amps as oposed to speakers. I still use it for the purpose, that of switching between my passive Quadaptor and my Mc 2100 for discrete rear sound. Recently, I wanted to be able to test surround on my all identical Frazier speakers in the HT setup. Money is a bit tight, so another 60.00 was to be avoided if possible. I remember a pair of single pole, double thow knife switches I'd obtained many years ago for a now-forgotten project. They were still in one of my old junk boxes.

I was a bit concerned about trying this, but I really couldn't think of a reason it would not work or pose danger to the equipment. I hooked the speakers to the center pole, and the two amps to the others. To my surprise, it not only worked, but is completely silent in operation.

Not sure where one would find these today, but perhaps Edmund Scientific or similar. They'd certainly be cheaper than the Niles.

Anybody see any problems with this I've not anticipated?

Dave

As long as the connections are clean and solid I see no reason it wouldn't work like a charm. What do this switches look like ? I wouldn't mind building something along these lines for my shop. Oh some amps don't react well to being under no load so switching while amps are on would be something to be carefull about. Not sure what amps your using or how they respond to it.

Craig

Well, I've never quite figured out how to post pix. However, I presume you are familiar with the old fashioned knife switches often portrayed in Frankenstein films and electric chair scenes? These are like that, except they are double pole. The leads to the speakers are on the knife part, and the amps at each end of the 180 degree arc of the knives.

I hear you about the load issue. These are low power SS amps and one is a Crown. They don't seem to suffer, but if they were tube or of real value, I'd probably shut them off before switching.

I don't know if the Niles provides a load, but that may be part of the cost. OTOH, shutting one off for a savings of 60.00 still floats my boat!

Dave

The Niles is good, handles high power, and is silent. However, the connectors are just little (too small for large gauge wire) holes with a very small screw at 90 degrees to tighten. I'd recommend pins on all your lines before attempting to connect.

That's my only real beef, other than the 60.00 part. The DPDT throw switch works just as well, though the WAF might be lower! My PAW would prefer the 60.00 anyday. :-)

Dave

BTW, the Niles are now about $88 according to another member who has been looking and emailed me about mine. I have no problem with the size of the opening although I agree they could be larger. Then again I don't have 10 gauge wire either. Nilesaudio.com for an authorized internet dealer. They have lots of good products on their website.

----------------

On 9/8/2003 3:36:39 PM Mallett wrote:

60.00. I didn't check shipping and am finding that many "cheap" dealers are jacking up shipping and handling.

Dave

----------------

This price is for a used part, and they are out of stock.

I like the DPDT switch idea, and I used to have practically unlimited access to such items. However, that is no longer the case.

A word of caution to those considering this route: If you have young children, reconsider. The blades on this type switch are not insulated, and would look awfully inviting to a youngster's eye. Although I don't think there would be any danger of shock, shorting across the two blades could damage your equipment if the amp was running.JMO

I considered this route when I bought my Russound amp switch. I was afraid my wife would throw the switch to the tube amp when the SS was on. The owner of the local electronics said that the tube amp should be able to take it if it was shown no load, but the SS would probably be damaged. He compared SS amps to two elephants on a teeter totter.

Greg