Rectifier Myths

Deang

I am still wondering what this Tenor sounds like. I have always been a bit suspect about this beast and ole Jeffus sure had it hidden under the bed when I arrived. We have debated that amp back and forth for a few years. It's either TOO hot, too badly bias, too big, too good, or too something for ole Kelly to hear. I gave him some hell last time and he got bent outta shape and refused to open the third bottle of red. Swine. I had to console him and things got better.

The Tenor still slept under bed however...

kh

ps- Ole Jeffus and I would fire emails back and forth debating SS vs Tube rect. heh, notice what he uses when he makes his own amps! FROOT! Stop that blabberin; about the Tenor. Only 7 were made so it's SAFE to say you hold the "magic" amp. Lordy. Send it here after bias! Put in your MONSTER CRATES!

----------------

On 9/8/2003 10:04:56 AM mobile homeless wrote:

I am still wondering what this Tenor sounds like. I have always been a bit suspect about this beast and ole Jeffus sure had it hidden under the bed when I arrived. We have debated that amp back and forth for a few years. It's either TOO hot, too badly bias, too big, too good, or too something for ole Kelly to hear. I gave him some hell last time and he got bent outta shape and refused to open the third bottle of red. Swine. I had to console him and things got better.

The Tenor still slept under bed however...

kh

----------------

Remember, funny boy, that you left Quebec one day earlier without your freakin TT rack and without hearing the Tenor (as what was originally planned).

Hearing the Tenor and going back to "normal" amps have the same effect on me than spending 1 month in Southern France then going back in our God Blessed North American Continent. Cultural shock to say the least...

A trip to Tenor Audio's office is planned for November. This will come just in time with the heating season for the living room. So you might consider bringing some decent wine this time (though the horror you came with did OK as "sauce wine").

Well, I think I finally figured out how to handle you guys.

How Do You Know If You Have a Drinking Problem?

An Inability to control your drinking: It seems that regardless of what you decide beforehand, you frequently wind up drinking too much. This includes drinking all of the available Red Wine at any residence you visit. It also includes drinking all of the Red Wine before friends arrive.

You use alcohol to escape your problems. This includes escaping from Quebec, or living in Quebec.

Changing from your usual reserved character into the "life of the forum". Posting, or being heard on MP3 files of dubious quality would be an example of this.

A change in personality -- does drinking turn you from Dr. Music to Mr. SET?

Blackouts -- sometimes you don't remember what happened when you were drinking. Sometimes you don't remember what you were drinking when you blacked out.

Alcohol blocks the messages going to your brain and alters your vision and hearing. It also blocks messages on answering machines going to, and coming from Quebec.

Greetings:

Hi Kelly, I got the gist of Dean's postings.

It has to do with theories, be it tube or solid state. Adding filtering, decreasing filtering.

But, you can take two identical Amplifiers, tube or SS, put them side by side, using singulars of the rest of the system and the sound can be different.

Lot runs, tolerances can make the difference.

So in reading Dean's initial post the question why was asked.

That is why I paraphrased as I did and responded to that.

As you said, there are many theories, many different principles. Read and studied ad nauseum.

I see what the absolutes are stated to be, by many different people, approaching it from their own perspective and then I look at the variables.

It can be as simple as a bad batch of tubes, a bad batch of parts or pushing the wrong limits in design.

SET 2A3 vs 300 vs push pull, class A, AB, B, vs SS vs zero feedback. As in theory, the reality of the end product. How much is too much and how does something change a properly designed circuit?

We just need to bring humanity into the equation and then some equations become proven shakey.

Dean any clarification as to where you were headed?

Win dodger

----------------

On 9/8/2003 11:22:39 AM DeanG wrote:

Well, I think I finally figured out how to handle you guys.

How Do You Know If You Have a Drinking Problem?

An Inability to control your drinking: It seems that regardless of what you decide beforehand, you frequently wind up drinking too much. This includes drinking all of the available Red Wine at any residence you visit. It also includes drinking all of the Red Wine before friends arrive.

You use alcohol to escape your problems. This includes escaping from Quebec, or living in Quebec.

Changing from your usual reserved character into the "life of the forum". Posting, or being heard on MP3 files of dubious quality would be an example of this.

A change in personality -- does drinking turn you from Dr. Music to Mr. SET?

Blackouts -- sometimes you don't remember what happened when you were drinking. Sometimes you don't remember what you were drinking when you blacked out.

Alcohol blocks the messages going to your brain and alters your vision and
hearing
. It also blocks messages on answering machines going to, and coming from Quebec.

----------------

Wow!

Wine give my that quick fix I'm looking for... The fun of it is that after two bottles, all rectifiers sounds alike so I can listen to some music instead of concentrating on tube rolling. So in a way, wine help to ease my "journey" to audio. After 4 bottles, I might be drunk enough to listen to Journey on my audio system (yet...).

Note: Post was edited

----------------

On 9/8/2003 12:20:22 PM mobile homeless wrote:

See what happens when YOU DONT DRINK???? Jeff is SOBER and look at that damn last post! Poor bastard. Ole Dean was trying some humor this fine monday. Give him some credit. He worked on that one for awhile. heh..

kh

----------------

Ooooops...

----------------

On 9/8/2003 12:51:43 PM garymd wrote:

I didn't know you were a Styx fan. I hope I didn't put my foot in my mouth this weekend.

BTW, I know absolutely nothing about rectifier tubes or anything sounding close to that so sorry to interrupt the thread

----------------

See what happens when you got tooooo much (clap clap) time on your hand!

----------------

On 9/8/2003 1:23:51 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Good lord...heh.

Sadly, I STILL prefer STYXX to Journey if not just for that little sap Tommy Shaw on the guitar who made me laugh whether trying or not.

Still, I try to block this time of popular music out of my head. There was so much interesting stuff happening below the radar...

kh

----------------

Can we get enough of Suite Madame Blue... The final on the guitar is so inspiring.