A Possible Convert to Tubes

PAR69

I wanted to share my experience yesterday with you all. Edster00 and I live close to one another here in Atlanta, and he had graciously offered previously to let me hear his Belles (about 5 years ago). Dumb me never took him up on his offer. Now, I have my La Scalas with the lackluster AL network and as I am considering building the ALK design, I imposed myself on him so I could hear them. So yesterday afternoon he had me and a handful of my favorite CDs over.

I have to say, first of all, when I have a place with the space and the corners, I am getting KHorns. I love my La Scalas, but the KHorns showed what the Scalas were missing on the low end even with a sub. And on top of all that, his little flea powered tube amps at about 3.5 Watts, handled all the music we played. The only time I found them lacking was at the end of the day (and a bottle of wine) and we were playing "Fuel" off of Metallica's S&M at 106dB,they just couldn't give a little more 9.gif . But, Ed's system is just enjoyable. Oh, and I will be building ALK's networks, very very soon10.gif

Ed, thanks for a GREAT day. It was fun to talk and share music and equipment thoughts. I really appreciate it and look forward to getting together again sometime.

Paul

Someday, the either/or and "this cant ever be" crowd will stop saying examples of this. In all the years I have been messing with this sordid hobby, it's one thing I have finally given up on even if backed by "science" of the day. Again, give yourself another situation, and suddenly you see otherswise. OF course, there are limits...but the variables are all rarely accounted for in any blanket statement.

Hell, I dont even use the same type blankets I did five years ago...

kh

Paul was the 5th or 6th forum member to come over for a listening session. I really enjoy these little get-togethers, it is great meeting other "Klipschheads", it is fun to be introduced to music/artists I am not familiar with, and it is nice to be able to share the SET sound.

We started off listening to most of the music in the upper 80-low 90dB range and gradually kept pushing the old volume control higher and higher as the merlot got smoother and afternoon progressed into evening. The last couple of hours listening were pretty much steady in the ~98 to ~104dB range on the SPL meter. Our final two CDs were Trans-Siberian Orchestras Beethovens Last Night and Metallicas S&M. Both albums were played pretty much ~100+dBs. This was the longest and hardest I have ever pushed the Horus (my wife was out of town) and I was extremely pleased with their performance on these pretty musically complex CDs. BTW the SPL readings were at our listening position ~15 back from the speakers.

I had a great time and look forward to Paul coming over again for another taste of K-horns + SET.

We used both analogue and digital Radio Shack SPL meters, both set to "C" weighing and slow response. Of course, needle swings can be very wide depending on what albums and particular songs were playing. Those last two CDs (particularly the TSO) has some really dynamic parts that go from quiet to very loud. The Low parts might have gotten as low as high 80's or so, I'm not really sure, we checked more often during peaks rather than during lows. As I remember, we were running pretty much steady in the low 100's when Paul said the amps ran out of steam. Paul had the SPL meter and volume control at that time (Paul please correct me if I am wrong).

(By that time we had finished our 2nd bottle of red and had graduated to Modelo!)

The digital meter was pretty much in the ~98-104dB range most of the time...at least on the last two CDs, probably more than CDs than that, I was having too much fun to remember when we really started crankin' it. I didn't think to check what the peak SPL was (the digital SPL can be set to display the peak I think), maybe next time.

We were pretty busy playing air guitar, air drums, and conducting the musicians!

----------------

On 9/8/2003 12:17:36 PM edster00 wrote:

. Our final two CDs were
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
s
Beethovens Last Night
and
Metallica
s
S&M
. ----------------

Trans Siberian and Metallica and beer...

Sound like a killer time! If you tell me it was Heineken I say we were long lost Brothers

2.gif

Although these days I'm in training and have limited myself to Michelob Ultra (pretty much water but better than nothing).

Seriously though-sounds like a great time was had by all.

Jeff

Sure is pretty, although I do prefer something with a bit more menacing look.

Kelly, would you mind elaborating a little on the "either/or" comment. You said the same thing in an email to me after something I said in Tim's Cornwall thread -- and I never did quite undertand what you meant by it.

What Craig was alluding to was the range of the peaks.

Either/or? The idea that if THIS is right, than THAT is wrong. In other words, this notion of looking at audio/music and the whole reproduction as a world of absolutes with clearly drawn conclusions instead of answers with extinuating circumstances, variables that contribute, and the existnce of DEGREES. This place has seen a lot of statements without looking at the variables or perhaps seeing more shades of gray. And the newbies eat this type of post UP as well as it provides a simple answer. I find these type os statements seem to diminish the more exposure is gained although a strong personality type can override this with ease.

On a more specific note, Edster, have you tried different rectifiers such as the GZ-37? I dont know how Jeff did your amp regarding the rect voltage etc but was wondering if you had done this.

btw, love the rosewood chassis. Jeff originally designed that amp to be displayed from end to end with the trans in the rear but it looks neat to the side as well. I always preferred the Moondogs displayed this way.

kh

ps- as for the range of peaks, some of that music listed does not have a ton of dynamic range. A lot of this DOES depend on the music played, something not mentioned and an influence on the range of peaks besides the gear. Again, these are the type of variables that get missed as well.

I would prefer to have the amps end to end also, but because of the weight of the beasts and the length vs width of the shelves, I have them this way. If the amps were on a "normal" rack they would be viewed front to back.

As for the SPL meter...with a digital meter there is no needle. When you are reading it on the slow scale you don't see as much of the range of the peaks and valleys as you do on the fast scale. I also could have left it on for an entire track/CD and read the actual peak for the whole track/CD but I didn't do that, I just checked on where we were generally.