Extra long component video cable

damonrpayne

I am probably going to re-arrange my house this weekend to better accomodate my HT. Part of this will be re-positioning my rack, which means I would need perhaps a 25' component video cable to reach the TV. I am very skeptical that buying Monster is worth my money and I don't want to spend a lot on this. What have people done for their projectors, etc?

At that distance, you might want to go with better cables.

The reason is signal intergrity and strength.

Having said all of that.. I do feel Monster is a rip off... imho.

However.. to go inexpensive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045268053&category=14965

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045403544&category=298

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3430298966&category=3668

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045865924&category=15066

I think the Python cable looks good. Actually, all cables in the pictures look thick enough to have have good transfer of signal. Thats the second link.

Good luck.

James

I don't use component cables with my projector (sanyo Z1), I found that even my 3-4 year old PC with TheaterTek, Nvidia GeForce2, and PowerStrip gives a vasty superior image then my DVD player (Denon DVD-1000). I would love to see how a $$$ DVD player compares to a HTPC.

But this isn't what you asked....for 25' I would suggest a reasonably good quality component cable. To be able to cleanly pass a 1080i HDTV component video signal requires a minimum video bandwidth of 35 MHz to do properly (According to HomeTheaterMag). For some Canare component cables of 100ft, you have approximatly 1-2dB signal loss for 50Mhz, an acceptable value. So an average quality cable would be fine, I'm just not too sure of those ebay links. I would be more apt to try a cheap RadioShack version first and if it's not good enough, look for better options. Perhaps a DIY route?!?!?!

-Dave

Damon - do yourself a favor and call Frank at signalcable.com. This is top grade stuff made by hand to length by a really talented guy who won't charge you an arm and a leg. Check out his feedback at audiogon.com and tell him Art from Arlington, texas sent you, I just spoke to him today. You won't be sorry about calling him, you can get better than you're imagining for far less than you think.

I know everyone has their opinions on cabling, but I found this site, and am VERY happy with their products. Read their write-up on cable philosophy. Not everyone will agree I am sure, but it made absolute sense to me.

Plus, in my field (Broadcast Engineering), Belden is a well known and respected manufactuer of cabling.

Anyway, I choose to go with these guys for my in the wall cable runs:

www.bluejeanscable.com

-Alan

Belden cable with Canare connectors is the answer. I use cables very similar to Bluejeanscable.com that run 50ft, 25ft and two 15ft cables with no ghosting. Good cables and should be a good price especially when compared with the likes of bettercables.com.

I like the bluejeans argument that professional mastering labs are using Belden cable, etc. If there was a difference between that and exotic stuff like Monster and Kimber would have you buy, you'd not be hearing sound any better than when it was mastered anyway.

Now if only companies like this could break into major chains! I much prefer to feed my impulsive nature and walk into a store to buy something rather than scour the 'Net but I won't buy any more monster cable and they have far too much market share in the retail arena.

I went ahead earlier this year and "bit-the-bullet" and purchased Monster's M Silver Series, 8 meter component video cable (M1000CV-8M) for $350 smackers. There was no other way around this for me. It seems to work very well. I am getting a sharp, clear picture with no noticable interference. I figured it was better to go with a high-end cable given the distance, especially when the signal to the projector means everything as far as viewer-perceived quality. I know it's expensive, but it's one less thing I need to worry about in my system. I read the other posts and I am unfamiliar with some of the brand names they are mentioning, so I cannot comment on their performance. It does sound as if their may be some less expensive performers out there according to our fellow members messages. Sure wish I'd known about them back in January! Best of luck!

-Picky 2.gif