Looking for Opinions on Samsung DLP's

HT Rookie

Hi all, it's me again, looking for some more help. After careful reviewing, listening and watching, I have decided not to go with the Mitsubishi 55" w/ the intergrated HDTV tuner. Instead, I have falling in love with the Samsung DLP, everything I have seen about it and all of the review have raved about it. I was wondering if anyone on this board has any of the DLP models and what they thought about it. For those that do not have it, but have seen it, let me know what you think. I have a room that is 15 feet long and 11 feet wide. After taking measurements, I am estimateing that I will be sitting about 8 feet from the TV, so I am thinking about the 46" or 50" screen

Thx

Thx for the forum URL CO1. Unfortunately, now I am even more confused, as with most places, the place I am shopping at pushed Mitsubishi, but a lot of the reviews I have read on them are a lot more mixed and lower than the stores keep telling me.

Doug Drake, as for buying a front projector, I checked with Ultimate Electronics and the smallest front projector they sell is going to be about $8,200.

If you know of a place where I can get one for under $3,400, please let me know.

Thx

For projectors in that price range check out the Infocus X1, Panasonic L300U, Sanyo Z1, Sony HS10, Dell 3200MP and I think you can get a Nec HT1000 for a street price under the amount you mentioned. All of these are great projectors with different features and functions to meet your needs. I recommend you post a few questions at avsforum.com in the "Digital Projectors - Under $5000 USD MSRP" section. You can also check out projectorcentral.com but take their reviews with a grain of salt because they are not as good as they used to be, great for specs though. Good luck.

Forget about Ultimate and most of the stores. They don't stock or even really know about the sub $5k units 'cause there isn't enough profit margin in them. CO1 has lots of good suggestions. Plus, many of those models are now being replaced with newer versions at about the same price, so you either get more for the same money, or get the current version at a clearance price. It's a great time to be in the market.

However, you may have to just buy one on faith, without even seeing the picture quality, because of a lack of decent local demo sites (Fry's Electronics - fugedabowdit!!). That's why you'll want a good dealer you can send it back to if you have to.

DD

I just saw one of these last weekend. Great picture, if you aren't right on top of it. The salesman said it used one bulb, and replacement would run about $250, cheap. It was a pretty expensive TV, though.

How are projectors in a less-than-dark room? My "HT" is in a family room, and is only real dark at night. Also, family members are messing around in the kitchen, doing homework/projects in the dining room, all ajoining the family room. Are projectors not an option, here?

fini

----------------

On 9/10/2003 3:49:30 PM dougdrake wrote:

Skip the monitors and get a front projector. For the cost of DLP TeeVee you could do very nicely with a projector. And, you can scale the size of the display if your viewing distance increases!!

DD

----------------

I don't always agree. As Fini pointed out, what if you are using it in a well trafficed area where the lighting conditions may not be the best. From what I have seen, for alot of general TV watching and the like, a decent RPTV, such as that Samsung (which I did get to look at BTW), would be really nice. Now, I would love to personally get a projector myself to put into a dedicated HT setup, but in my current setup, in which I also watch alot of reguler TV in not the best lighting, it just simply won't work and a decent RPTV would be a better option.

Question to the orginal poster - what do you plan on using your setup for? ARe you going to be watching alot of TV and such or just planning on watching DVDs? Is this a dedicated HT setup or is this room also a living/family room where the kids may be playing and doing homework and such. If this is going to be a dedicated theater for watching DVD and the occasional TV, then a projector should be a serious consideration, and some fine models in your price range have already been suggested. If this is not a dedicated theater and alot of TV will be watched, then I would consider the Samsung DLP (or perhaps another model) You would do good to check the aformentioned AVS forum as you would probably get more information.

----------------

On 9/10/2003 2:46:42 PM HT Rookie wrote:

Hi all, it's me again, looking for some more help. After careful reviewing, listening and watching, I have decided not to go with the Mitsubishi 55" w/ the intergrated HDTV tuner. Instead, I have falling in love with the Samsung DLP, everything I have seen about it and all of the review have raved about it. I was wondering if anyone on this board has any of the DLP models and what they thought about it. For those that do not have it, but have seen it, let me know what you think. I have a room that is 15 feet long and 11 feet wide. After taking measurements, I am estimateing that I will be sitting about 8 feet from the TV, so I am thinking about the 46" or 50" screen

Thx

----------------

8 feet is too short of a distance for a front projector,the Samsung dlp is a great set.

I bought a DLP5065 at BB. I kept it for one weekend and brought it back. I was seeing flickering squares in my sleep. I went with a Hitachi 57S500 from CC. About half the price and a better picture. I am very happy with it. Very good expansion modes. Try looking at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?s=e7a86c99bbe106fcb00dd27b8792f8b9

for a lot of great info.

Rick

"8 feet is too short of a distance for a front projector,the Samsung dlp is a great set."

As mentioned, there are reasons why you might not choose to get a projector, but an 8 foot viewing distance, IMO, is not one of them. Using the 1.5x screen width rule of thumb, with the right projector you could have a 5' wide screen, which would give you a 69" diagonal picture in 16:9 format. Your room is plenty deep to accomodate the throw distance.

I just wanted to point this out as an option - it may not fit in your circumstances.

DD

i also would say that 8ft. is fine for front pj, just don't go too big w/the picture.

i setup a vpl-hs10 at 71"diagonal 16:9 screen size crossways in a rv. you can get 3ft. from the picture (with a good source) and it still looks nice. the primary viewing distance is about 6-7ft.

if you go w/ANY kind of dlp, be sure you can return it as some people have problems w/rainbows/headache/eyestrain, and you won't know until you've tried it for a couple of days or so.

avman.

• 6 years later...

We provide LCD Projector Lamps and DLP Television Bulbs. The brand : Akai, Bluesky, Clarity &Margay,Gateway,HITACHI,KOLIN,LOEWE ARTICOS,

MITSUBISHI,OPTOMA ,PHILIPS,SAGEM,SHARP,TOSHIBA,VIVITEK,WILDCAT,BARCO,CHRISTIE,ENVISIONTEC,GEMSTAR,JVC,LG/ZENITH,

MAGNOVOX,OLEVIA,PANASONIC,RCA,THOMSON,SAMSUNG,SONY,VIZIO,ETC. we can provide original bulb and replacement bulb.

If you want , please contact me. our web http://www.inmoul.com . Quality pledge.

Jerome Yang

extrablue.yang@gmail.com

MSN:yangjie821206@hotmail.com