Tumult woofer ordered !!!

fire pinch

As promised in one of my posts, you will be informed and will read probably the first review of this monster on this forum!!! 9.gif It was in my mind since the June month this year and because it was in my mind, it couldnt be NOT built! 3.gif In those summer hot days, I thought about building first the Tempest and to sell it after, I couldnt pass that Tempest woofer. I wanted absolutely to know how this woofer could perform.

The Tumult wont be in a sealed enclosure of course, because I want the extreme most of it in deep bass performance. It will certainly be in a 3 cubic ft box with dual Stryke 18" 1600g passive radiators feeded with a 2400W amp. The results will be extreme bass impact and at the same time very powerfull low end. It wont have the same very audiophile bass quality I would get from an EBS alignment but I think that the Tumult XBL2 motor will well compensate for very low distortion. And I still think that the results in sound quality will be better than most subwoofers out there. Well... we will see when it will be done 2.gif

I expect to have the woofer in about 3 to 4 weeks, its what the dealer said. But with all those Tumults waiting delay which happened during the past months, I expect to have it even later. En résumé, if I could have it before December, I would be happy 1.gif Im not that stressed and hyperactive! 12.gif Of course, this will be a hearth stopping day when I will receive it 9.gif

Lol... you just couldn't resist... 2.gif I hope you hang onto the Tempest long enough to tell us how they compare? you lucky b@$tard...

Adire appear to have caught up with the shipping delay (from what I read on the HTF) so you may be in luck! I've been having a hard time to get in touch with stryke as my driver is missing in action 7.gif ... wouldn't it be ironic if you have to wait for the PRs rather than the driver?

I don't know if you read about the fried Tumults... but I would be carefull feeding it more than the 1600W max as it is per IEC 268-5. Apparently, due to the XBL2 motor, it doesn't distort even as it approaches failure... so several people over-powered it during testing.

Let us know when it shows up...

Rob

ROFL Ear!!!!! I knew you would come up on this tread but I really didnt expect to have a good laugh like that 9.gif9.gif Omg, I even laugh it again while Im writing!!!!!! I guess that Im too tired or your just too God! 1.gif (Of course I am you will say) 2.gif

Formica,

2400W of power shouldnt be a problem at all according to some people in the HTF Forum. Justly, Seth_L feeds his Tumult with 2400W of power without any problems. He even told me that the thermal limit of the Tumult is in fact 1600W during ONE hour and 4800W for a second. But well... I will try to avoid playing test tones during hours If I dont want it to turn into paper weight on my foot lol! And yes, I will try WILL TRY to keep my Tempest until the Tumult sub is done. But ahhh... my poor budget, this would bring me more money back if I sell it! 14.gif I like to have some cash left behind! Fortunately, I have some numbers about its max SPL and SPL linearity (Tempest). That Tumult order shouldnt be surprsing for you... didnt you realize before that I really really wanted it?! 11.gif

By the way, I didnt order yet the Stryke PR's... your message for the PR's seems to be a warning for me, I think that I should considere it and order them ASAP... like tomarrow or in two days when my mind will be ready (I might choose the 2400g instead).

Good choice on drivers! After all, why mess around? We all know what it takes to make a good subwoofer by this time (I hope). You are well on your way now my man. The Tumult will make your Tempest look like a 98-lb. weakling. Hell, the Tumult makes the AV-15 look like a 100-lb.weakling.

After I fried my AV-15 and had it out of the box to replace it with it's successor (the Tumult), I set them side-by-side next to each other to admire/compare them. The AV-15 looks like a Playskool kiddie toy in comparison...

Bon chance mon ami

3.gif

• 1 month later...

Tumult is supposed to come this week!!! Most likely on Friday! YAAAAAAAAA11.gif11.gif9.gif Now Im in a big dilemmmma and I wonder if I will be able to get the 18" PRs before December... Stryke doesnt seem to have them in stock anymore... So Im thinking, why not trying a sealed Tumult for now? But the thing is that Im acustomized to ported subs and I wonder if I will get a good feeling with a sealed Tumult 8.gif If the sub will roll off at 30 Hz, I think that I will not like that. In the other way, my room still boost surprinsingly very deep bass, so this can be a success too...

*Update*: I just saw my FR curves results in the Tempest tread and when two ports are blocked (so like a sealed box), it seems that the bass extend very well and the roll-off point seems almost like not there. But beeing a box that big, when sealed, the Qtc of that Tempest is certainly near 0.5. I had in mind more a Qtc of around 0.65 to 0.7 for the Tumult so the final results will most likely not be that bad after all... Still aaaaah, I would like a PRed sub 11.gif This is just those waiting delays for the PR's that make me anxious!

I'm kinda surprised Adire hasn't offered a compatible 18" PR for the tumult yet?

After all, the driver has plenty of excursion which is crying out for a vented enclosure (PR or port) but wants a cabinet which is too small to fit a reasonable port... leaving the PR as the ideal choice.

lolll!!! This would be so weird to be true 1.gif I really didnt think that I'd have that much replies and view in my Tempest tread if you thought about it when you did your post 1.gif Even with so much efforts from me, I dont think that Im gonna be able to have a tread with so much replies or views... especially not with a Valentine hot dog tread in the subwoofer section of this forum LOL! 9.gif Aaaah but we never know 1.gif I wonder how will hit my next Tumult tread which will show some photos of the woofer, some test results... Anyway, I shouldnt post about the Tumult for a big while because I dont even have my amp yet and my PR's! 14.gif

Im sure that Formica will be able to post about his AV-15 (test results) before I can post mine 1.gif At least, he has his woofer... his PR's too? Just having the PR's would be a big advantage over me for the moment 2.gif

Curious why you'd want to tune a Tumult to 28hz? Which is what the tuning point will be for a pair of 1600g PRs and a 3ft^3 enclosure. If you go to a pair of dual spyder PRs weighted to 3000g then you can tune to 20hz in a 3ft^3 enclosure. To tune to 18hz will require at least a 110L enclosure with the dual spyder 18" PRs weighted to 3000g.

I'm pretty sure the 1600 gram PRs on Stryke's site are single spyder and can't take 3000g (why they are cheaper) nor should they be used with the punishment a Tumult can dish out. The 2500g PRs are dual spyder and can take 3000g, although my preference would be to go up to a 5ft^3 enclosure to keep the weight on the PRs down below 2500g.

You are right Dustin about a 5 cubic ft enclosure, that was a big mistake from me in my first post. I seek for a 4-5 cubic ft enclosure with the 2500 g PRs, to tune the Tumult at about 18 Hz. Im modeling more and more enclosures since a few days and I will come up again here with my final decision. Im stillt thinking again about a sealed box, I have in mind to make a sealed box FIRST, to see how the Tumult would sound like and after, to make a PRed enclosure if I want more deep bass 1.gif The sealed box would have a Qtc of around 0.6 and it would be small, something I would like very much after all (for the size). Moreover, my room boost very well the low frequencies (see how is my Tempest with two ports blocked, in my Tempest tread page 2).

You can add weight to the Stryke PRs. The PRs have a cylinder attached to them and you simply add the appropriate amount of modeling clay and zinc-plated washers to each to get the desired weight. I suggested to Kyle that maybe Zinc washers would br OK for an AV-15, but for a Tumult one might want to invest in some silver or 14K gold plated washers to mush into the modeling clay. Dusty, do you think silver or gold-plated washers might give a better group delay? In any case, zinc washers for a Tumult seemed a little "tacky" to me.

-

Kyle had put two Stryke 18" 2200 gm PRs in my box (which originally housed an AV-15 as opposed to the Tumult), his reason being that "you do not want to go TOO low with this sub"...

When I smoked my AV-15 and decided to go Tumult, Adire recommended to add 600 gms to each PR "to give a better group delay"...which I did.

Hey Dusty, what tune do I have again with 5 c.f. & two 2800 gm PRs? Could you (or somebody who knows how to do it) shoot me a curve for my sub with 1400 watts power?? I would be greatly indebted....2.gif

Thanks,

Jeff S.

You can add weight to the Stryke PRs. The PRs have a cylinder attached to them and you simply add the appropriate amount of modeling clay and zinc-plated washers to each to get the desired weight. I suggested to Kyle that maybe Zinc washers would br OK for an AV-15, but for a Tumult one might want to invest in some silver or 14K gold plated washers to mush into the modeling clay. Dusty, do you think silver or gold-plated washers might give a better group delay? In any case, zinc washers for a Tumult seemed a little "tacky" to me.

-

Kyle had put two Stryke 18" 2200 gm PRs in my box (which originally housed an AV-15 as opposed to the Tumult), his reason being that "you do not want to go TOO low with this sub"...

When I smoked my AV-15 and decided to go Tumult, Adire recommended to add 600 gms to each PR "to give a better group delay"...which I did.

Hey Dusty, what tune do I have again with 5 c.f. & two 2800 gm PRs? Could you (or somebody who knows how to do it) shoot me a curve for my sub with 1400 watts power?? I would be greatly indebted....2.gif

Thanks,

Jeff S.

I know Dustin is right... its because the first time I modeled a 3 to 4 cubic ft Tumult with passive radiators, I just wrote in WinISD 2500g + added mass instead of just writing the added mass if more mass is wanted. So in that time, my enclosures were smaller... I just saw my mistake by modeling with other softwares 1.gif

Today, I modeled some Tumult enclosures. With a Ql of 10 and no fill, I come up with a 4 cubic ft box with two Stryke PR2500 without any more mass. This would give me an anechoic F3 of about 19.5-20.0 Hz. Strangely, the Fb would be about the same, around 19-19.5 Hz. The cube would be about 22.5" (all sides, external dimensions).

A 5 cubic ft box with the same PRs would be so nice too (better group delays), but the box would have to be too much big for my taste. I could add more mass to that 4 cubic ft box, but the price would go up... hmm not by much I guess, I should try that other option 1.gif. I really would like to have something smaller than my big Tempest box 14.gif

*Update*: I think that a 4 cu ft enclosure with 2 Strykes PR2500+500g on each one would be nice if I considere my size requirement and because of a lower tuning, the bass quality would be nearer of a 5 cu ft enclosure this way... Whats your opinion on this Dustin? 1.gif