SONY STRDA4ES ?????

banjoman

I'm going to purchase a A/V receiver for a home theater. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I want the best receiver for my money.I have a Sony card that builds up points when you use it and I have enough points to spend about $500.00 on the receiver. I also want to purchase the Klipsch RF 25 set. Any feedback on either ?????

sony is good at a discount(free) but otherwise there are many other much better machines to buy. yammy denon onkyo h&k, all superior, sony is just boom box sounding from my experience, and there is currently another thread discussing this very topic, with the same remarks, if i remember correctly my first machine was a sony, upgraded as soon as money permitted, audition audition audition, dont worry about savings, it is the ear you have to make happy in the long run, having klipsch isnt all that cool if all you do is sit around saying "that just dosent sound right"12.gif

----------------

On 9/14/2003 4:29:21 AM marksdad wrote:

sony is good at a discount(free) but otherwise there are many other much better machines to buy. yammy denon onkyo h&k, all superior, sony is just boom box sounding from my experience, and there is currently another thread discussing this very topic, with the same remarks, if i remember correctly my first machine was a sony, upgraded as soon as money permitted, audition audition audition, dont worry about savings, it is the ear you have to make happy in the long run, having klipsch isnt all that cool if all you do is sit around saying "that just dosent sound right"
12.gif

----------------

Geez Marksdad! Which sony did you own? For movies my sony is an excellent unit as I said. Did you own an ES?

Okay, trying to stay around the same price range give me some brands and model numbers you think would be better. Also how much quality difference would I see between the RF- 25 's and the bookshelf speakers? What sub would go best with this system? I was thinking about the KSW -10 or 15.

Thaks for the help...

----------------

On 9/14/2003 3:34:21 PM banjoman wrote:

Okay, trying to stay around the same price range give me some brands and model numbers you think would be better. Also how much quality difference would I see between the RF- 25 's and the bookshelf speakers? What sub would go best with this system? I was thinking about the KSW -10 or 15.

Thaks for the help...

----------------

Onecall.com was selling refurb'd HK AVR325's for $400 but I think they don't have any more. They pop up every now and then so you might want to keep an eye out. Another outstanding deal right now is the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX for $500 from ecost.com. This receiver stands out from the rest because of the MCACC feature.

banjoman, I just bought my STR-DA7ES which is almost the same model as 4ES (except a 2 way remote which I love, and 10 watts more per speaker). Anyway, I think 4ES will be great "if" you can find it. They are replaced by new ES lines. I had really tough time finding my 7ES, and ultimately got it from Tweeter for open box. Most ppl complain that the trap door with the optical inputs are whimpy, and the speakers connectors are a little cramped. But, all in all, I think it's a great buy and an awsome machine !

I pair my 7ES with Klipsch RF-35 systems. I can't say about the 25, you will have to audition yourself. I listened to the 15, they were ok till I listened to the 25. Then, the 25 were great till I heard the 35, LOL. Then, I told the rep "that's it!", I didn't wanna audition the RF5 or RF7 (which they don't even stock at GoodGuys) since they are way out of my budget.

Good luck !

I have owned several Sony receivers and for their cost, they were very good receivers. Many people buy the lower end of a manufacturers line and then bad mouth the entire line without trying them all. Some people buy Rotel and find later that that brand is not as high end as they had been sold.

Just as with everything else in life, you sometimes get what you pay for. I would also advise checking out the Denon line. Also, you might e-mail Steve (avman) regarding the HK line. He works at a dealership in Nuawlens,La and can give you some very good first hand advice.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome aboard Jay!

Keith

----------------

On 9/14/2003 3:34:21 PM banjoman wrote:

Thaks for the help...

----------------

Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX rocks. I really like this AVR.

I would make sure I get the warranty for the SONY if you go that route.

I think because the Repair facility used to be inside Sony West Headquarters in San Jose, I got this thing drilled in my head that a sony product will die within three years. Sorry... there was always a line at the repair center. The memories... the horrors. My SONY 2 channel and 4 channel amps for my car died in 23 months and my DVD player died right at 3 years. My Wega TVs tuner died in 16 months. My mother's VCR dies in less then three years. The only SONY product that I owned that did not die in less then three years is the DV-3000, one of the first DVD players out there. That guy is a champ, 6 years and going..

All the other electronics I owned had lasted at least 6 years. My JVC TV and VCR and mini bookshelf system is still working problems free after 7 years.

AS for your second part of you question, go RW line. DO not do KSW 10 or 15. Too Boomy. RW-10 or RW-12 should fill your needs and will sound much better then KSW line. KSW line is great if you want to shake the windows, but if you want sound and not noise, go RW line. RSW line is even better but watch the $$$.

Also RF line does sound deeper then their RB counterparts. Which is better depends on your listening tastes. Both are quality.. its up to you.

thanks T2K !

and yeah-sony makes some of the best video products, and i have one of THE BEST a/v receivers EVER made,by ANYONE,and that includes sony es.so if i were to base my experience w/my 777ES receiver and extrapolate that to include ALL sony es, and sony products in general, i would be dissapointed that ALL sony products weren't as GOOD as my 777es...

anyway,if you are interested in audio gear by harman/kardon,yamaha'natural sound'rxv series,integra by onkyo,or standard-line sony receivers,send me a message and maybe i can make a recommendation of some you can buy in your neighborhood.

avman.