OFF TOPIC - God help us!

skonopa

----------------

On 9/16/2003 4:29:54 PM reel 2 reel wrote:

Believe it, or not, Today at work one of those salesguys that come to your jobsite selling equipment like air compressors and generators came to our site today...He had two generators that put out 5900 watts diesel.. and a price tag of only ....get this...$2,600 that's right 2,600 dollars can you believe that...He was in the wrong place at the wrong time...Sorry bout his luck 2600 dollars ..right!!!!can get 3 of those at home d**** for that price ..runs on regular gas too!!!!....gc

----------------

There was a craftsman 10,000 watt compressor for $2600 where I bought mine. I don't need that much juice, besides, it weighed about 500lbs!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 9/16/2003 10:16:01 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

It's making me nervous too Steven, I think I'm only like a 45min drive from Fredricksburg.

----------------

You ought to come down here - I'll have to show you my Reference 7 setup. I would not mind giving your KLF-20's a listen (where they the '30's - cannot remember - you need to get your rig updated on the soundwise.org site - than again, so do I - now that I got a good digital camera, I can get some better pictures and get Justin to update that).

----------------

On 9/17/2003 10:47:54 PM MichaelShaffer wrote:

Wow they said Fredricksburg could reach 9 feet on the flood guage, hope Mary Washington isn't near the river, my brother is going to school there.

----------------

Mary Washington College is a good ways up from the river, so there is no need to worry about that getting flooded out.

Well, looking out to the south-east, I can see some of the clouds starting to come in from the hurricane - will be interesting over the next couple of days. I am pretty much prepared.

Take a look at this: http://www.sncsurf.com/

There are also some webcams on this page. Tomorrow should be intense for these areas. No doubt the cameras will be off-line, but it could be worth a look.

another: http://www.wrightsville.com/bchcam.htm

My family spent the evening bringing in all the plants, etc. from around the yard and securing all the lawn furniture, etc.

could be a marathon skip-bo or railroad dominoes evening.

zip: 21044

later.

It is about quarter to 1 in the morning - it is completely overcast and the wind has started to pick up a bit. Looks like we are going to be in for a ride 6.gif. I'll let you all know how things are going here during the course of this (provided I have power). I'll most likely even take pictures (now that I got this fancy new digital camera 1.gif).

Hey, I hope you all are hanging in tight out there. Now is your last change, send all your gear to me. I will keep it safe for you. 2.gif9.gif

Seriously though. Good luck my friends. I hope the damage is none to minimal at worst.

Is there anyone on this board who lives directly in it's path, where it's going to hit landfall? Or within 30 miles or so?

Klipschfoot! Thanks for posting that webcam, I hope like hell it can hang on! I will be watching it live from the west coast if it does. Right now I can see it's a little windy out... Not much light though.

----------------

On 9/17/2003 12:28:30 AM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 9/16/2003 10:16:01 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

It's making me nervous too Steven, I think I'm only like a 45min drive from Fredricksburg.

----------------

You ought to come down here - I'll have to show you my Reference 7 setup. I would not mind giving your KLF-20's a listen (where they the '30's - cannot remember - you need to get your rig updated on the soundwise.org site - than again, so do I - now that I got a good digital camera, I can get some better pictures and get Justin to update that).

----------------

I'll have to do that some time... and it's KLF20's. I've been working on some DIY subs and I've been waiting for them to be completed before I send new pics to Justin(also waiting for a certain tv stand to come in stock). I actually just got the DIY subs hooked up late today(too late to crank them) but I've been busy preparing my house and helping some friends prepare their houses for the hurricaine.

It's about 1:00AM(EST) and I was out about 2 hours ago and it seemed like normal night with just a slight breeze. I've lived here all my life and nothing like this has ever come so I don't really know what to expect. I also plan on taking before pictures in the morning(for insurance purposes) and after if anything happens. I'm also gonna make sure the video camera is charged up but I don't have a firewire connection in my computer to transfer the video. I might just buy one and upload it to my webspace if I get anything good. I think I'll be spending tomorrow night in my basement away from all windows.

I just took this pic w/my camera, check out the size of my subs with yours truly standing next to them for size reference. Oh yeah, I stand a monsterous 5'6" so that gives you a better idea of how big the subs are. They're functional but not finished.

Picture_1232%20%28Small%29.JPG

post-7551-1381924914049_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 9/17/2003 11:58:03 PM m00n wrote:

Is there anyone on this board who lives directly in it's path, where it's going to hit landfall? Or within 30 miles or so?

----------------

The eye of it is suppossed to be to the west of here(DC area), which means the NW part of the hurricane will pass over here. Unfortunately, the news is saying that's going to be the strongest part of it. Hopefully it will die down enough after traveling on land for a while that no major destruction is done here.

Frankie. How did you come to the dimensions of your new tubs? Was is just some arbitrary size you decided on or did you calculate the size based on some formula and all that? What size drivers and what are you pushing them with?

BTW, you're not trying to overcomensate for the lack of something are you. 11.gif2.gif9.gif

----------------

On 9/18/2003 12:47:19 AM m00n wrote:

Frankie. How did you come to the dimensions of your new tubs? Was is just some arbitrary size you decided on or did you calculate the size based on some formula and all that? What size drivers and what are you pushing them with?

----------------

I came up with my desired frequency response curve in WINISD. After I got the internal volume and port size, I just calculated how much space the driver, endcaps, and ports would take up in the inside the enclosure did the math to adjust it accordingly. There's no polyfill right now and the internal volume is 7.5ft^3 tuned to 19.4hz according to WINISD, but I'm going to verify what it is myself later. I also have 9 20oz bags of polyfill to play with, I'm going to add 1lb at a time and keep measuring to see the effects. I'm going to add until it's no longer effective. I've been taking pictures of the build process and when I'm completely done with them I'll make a simple website. I'll also document my polyfill experiments since there doesn't really seem to be much to go on besides one article from Tom Nousaine.

Specs:

- Stryke AV15 in each enclosure

- 18" sonotube stands 69" high with 4.5" legs(still going to add a .75" base and .75" grill)

- 7.5ft^3 tuned to 19.4hz(no polyfill and unverified tuning)

- 1 8" port in each enclosure.......see pic #1, pic #2

- 750 watts to each from a Samson S1500

----------------

On 9/18/2003 12:47:19 AM m00n wrote:

BTW, you're not trying to overcomensate for the lack of something are you.
11.gif2.gif9.gif

----------------

My fiancee doesn't think I'm compensating for anything
9.gif12.gif

Actually I'm compensating for the lack of low end bass I've been missing with my two DIY sealed subs I was using (2.8ft^3 Stryke AV15 and 2ft^3 original SVS CS woofer).