Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 9/15/2003 1:24:14 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 9/15/2003 1:07:26 PM m00n wrote:

Gary, where are you living now?

----------------

I'm in Ellicott City, about 15 miles south of Baltimore. I just found the last generator in the state of MD so I'm off to go pick it up. A new toy!
9.gif

----------------

There ya go! I positive spin on things. Isn't it funny the truth in the old saying "The only difference between the men and the boys is the price of the toys". There is sooooo much truth to that saying.

If you guys are interested, our supercomputers are monitoring Isabel as we speak. This is realtime, and, based upon current data, one can predict where it will hit. This is known as the WRF model and it is VERY accurate. Anyway, here is the link....

http://rain.mmm.ucar.edu/mm5

Once there....

- click on the down arrow under "Model Selection:" and select

"120 10km Hurr WRF", then click "scaled"

- Next, click on the down arrow under "Forecast hour:" and select

"48 h" (or anything greater) and then click on button next to

"Animations". This will take you to the next screen.

- Finally, once you have landed on the next screen, click on the

arrow under "To loop output, select a field:" and select "precip/slp".

At this point the computers will show you the realtime animated tracking data. This is exactly the same information that we are forwarding to the

National Hurricane Center. It's pretty cool!!

I just got my generators running and tested just in case. Rhode Island is a on the eastern edge of the predicted path but, it's better to be prepared than suprised. We've been without power for more than a week from less powerful storms.

We live on the first hill inland from the bay.(elev 50') So we will be safe there. but to get out of my area, there are three miles of tree lined roads and overhead wires.

Rick

Hey Steven -

Like avman, I too have seen my share of hurricanes. In 1965 my parents moved to a little town on the Mississippi Gulf Coast called Pass Christian (they still live there) and bought a home some three blocks off the beach. In 1969 we got to see what it was like to be in the eye of a hurricane when Camille hit the coast packing 180+ mph winds. I literally remember it like it was yesterday seeings how we stayed through the storm. I'm praying for you and all the other folks be they on this list or otherwise.

As for me...a sigh of relief seeings how I'm suppose to be closing on our new house (yeah, yeah, I know...I need to post new photos of the HT room. I will soon) at the end of this month. For a while there it looked like Savannah might be in trouble.

As for predicting these things, I have a theory. Where ever the Weather Channel sends Jim Cantore, you can bet things ain't gonna be good.

Good luck all.

Tom

Moon-

It really is an interesting job. In fact, I feel very fortunate to work here. I really do. As for Isabel, what's even more interesting is how some of the data is being collected. We work with such agencies as NOAA (The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), NASA and of course the National Hurricane Center. For research, each agency has their own fleet of aircraft such as a C130 to gather data. In Isabel's case, WW II P3's, formerly known as "Sub Hunter's", are used to actually fly into the hurricane and collect this information. Not above or around the hurricane, but actually "in the hurricane"!!!. Of course now these older P3's are called "hurricane hunters". Under normal circumstances, one can usually hitch a ride on one of the research planes and travel to some fairly exotic and remote places. But Isabel is definately a ride I wouldn't want to be on!!!

Just got it home. Craftsman 10hp, 5600 watts RMS, 8600 watts peak.9.gif Now I just need to get this 200lb gorilla out of the back seat of my car! This has to be the last one in the area. 5 people called looking for one during the 2 minutes I was there taking care of the paperwork. $700. Not too bad for that size unit from what I've seen. The one I was looking at before was 7000 watts for $1,100. I should be able to use the fridge, tv, sump pump and a few lights with no trouble (probably more). I think I'll unplug the tubes though. Not going to take any chances. I just need a ground spike and grounding strap from Home Depot tonight and I'm in business.1.gif

----------------

On 9/15/2003 2:55:42 PM johnellis wrote:

WW II P3's, formerly known as "Sub Hunter's", are used to actually fly into the hurricane and collect this information. Not above or around the hurricane, but actually "in the hurricane"!!!.

----------------

Can you imagine the pucker factor? Bet you couldn't slide a BB up that pilots butt.

Being from New Orleans....hurricanes are nothing to mess with and if you are not at least 20-30 feet above sea level...then leave and find high ground.......

Tornados....are also spawned from hurricanes so no real place to hide but far away .....

If staying home...check out sites like WWLTV.com local New Orleans Tv station...they will have a section surviving a hirricane and what you need......

Good Luck

----------------

On 9/15/2003 3:52:44 PM TheEAR wrote:

S. Konopa,

Let me enchant your Klipsch gear...AHMMMMM AHMMMMM KLIPSCHUS TORNADUS LOUDUS

----------------

Hey, that give me an idea! Hey Gary! We both should crank our systems up to full blast! Probably generate enough SPL to cause the hurricane to break up (or at the very least, it'll run away the other direction yapping like a little dog with its tail tucked between it's hind legs! 9.gif). How dare something to challenge the power of the almighty Klipsch - even a hurricane!

Seriously, Like Gary already mentioned, I also thank you for the well-wishes and the prayers. Right after I submit, I will be hitting the stores and stocking up on some food and supplies. I am also going to pick up a digital camera and take pictures of everything in the house and burn to CD-R and make at least 3 copies to store around (one at work.)

I have nothing vital that I want to keep powered, except maybe the fridge, so I don't plan on getting a generator. I'll get a couple bags of ice and store them in the freezer - I could put in a cooler if necessary to store things that need to be cold (that will at least buy me a couple days). Also, if necessary, I'll just live off of PB&J sandwiches for a couple days - they are pretty non-perishable. Also, I'll use the BBQ to cook things (obviously not during the storm itself, but who knows how long the power could be out afterwards). I can also always go up to my parents, who are farther inland and up in the mountains (better give them a call this evening!). Failing that, I'll go up to Massanutten and stay at the ski-patrol barracks.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 1:24:14 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 9/15/2003 1:07:26 PM m00n wrote:

Gary, where are you living now?

----------------

I'm in Ellicott City, about 15 miles south of Baltimore. I just found the last generator in the state of MD so I'm off to go pick it up. A new toy!
9.gif

----------------

Dont forget to post pictures of yer new toy in the toys thread!!!.....gc