OFF TOPIC - God help us!

skonopa

According to this latest storm track, it is predicted that Hurricane Isabel will be going right up through this area. I have seen what Hurrican Fran had did to this area (mostly the large amount of flooding), and I do have pictures of it. This is a much more powerful storm than Fran is. Needless to say, I am very concerned. It is still a little early in the week, but it is expect ed that he storm will hit this area around Thursday. Time to hit the store and stock up on some food and water.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

garymd....

You gotta realize, he is a young buck. Daring, adventureous! I am sure he will be fine. There has has to be lots of safe areas for him to ride it out.

Me? I am a little older, wiser, a chicken turd and would get the hell outta dodge. 9.gif

Sknopoa, good luck buddy! If I were you, I would seriously consider taking my gear out and finding a secure location for it. If that hurricane hits at the current high category 4 that it is... Well... It'ss going to be one hell of a whollup. What was Andrew what devistated Florida some years back? Was that a 4 or 5? I don't recall...

30.gif Here's to hoping she turns around and spares the East Coast!

Hope it goes back out to sea. As someone who has gone through 3 hurricanes buy your self a power generator. During Hurricane Alecia we were without power for 5 days and I was 90 miles from the coast. Galveston was without power from 7-10 days. And this was a category 3. When tropical depression Allison came through power was out for about 3 days in some parts of Houston all because of rain. Of course 24" of it tends to affect power when it is distributed underground. Bottled water,spam,propane,batteries are a few items you need.Good luck.

These NWS guys really hate to be wrong, check out the probabilities. I think I'll take down my patio umbrella and buy some extra beer.

WTNT73 KNHC 151429

SPFAT3

HURRICANE ISABEL PROBABILITIES NUMBER 38

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

11 AM AST MON SEP 15 2003

PROBABILITIES FOR GUIDANCE IN HURRICANE PROTECTION

PLANNING BY GOVERNMENT AND DISASTER OFFICIALS

AT 11 AM AST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF ISABEL WAS LOCATED NEAR

LATITUDE 25.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 69.4 WEST

CHANCES OF CENTER OF THE HURRICANE PASSING WITHIN 65 NAUTICAL MILES

OF LISTED LOCATIONS THROUGH 8AM AST THU SEP 18 2003

LOCATION A B C D E LOCATION A B C D E

27.0N 71.2W 52 X X X 52 WILMINGTON NC X X 1 12 13

28.2N 72.0W 29 4 1 X 34 MOREHEAD CITY NC X X 1 14 15

30.0N 73.0W X 17 6 1 24 CAPE HATTERAS NC X X 1 14 15

BERMUDA X X X 2 2 NORFOLK VA X X X 13 13

SAVANNAH GA X X X 4 4 OCEAN CITY MD X X X 10 10

CHARLESTON SC X X X 7 7 ATLANTIC CITY NJ X X X 6 6

MYRTLE BEACH SC X X X 11 11 NEW YORK CITY NY X X X 3 3

COLUMN DEFINITION PROBABILITIES IN PERCENT

A IS PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 8AM TUE

FOLLOWING ARE ADDITIONAL PROBABILITIES

B FROM 8AM TUE TO 8PM TUE

C FROM 8PM TUE TO 8AM WED

D FROM 8AM WED TO 8AM THU

E IS TOTAL PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 8AM THU

X MEANS LESS THAN ONE PERCENT

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

----------------

On 9/15/2003 9:34:08 AM skonopa wrote:

According to this latest
, it is predicted that Hurricane Isabel will be going right up through this area. I have seen what Hurrican Fran had did to this area (mostly the large amount of flooding), and I do have pictures of it. This is a much more powerful storm than Fran is. Needless to say, I am very concerned. It is still a little early in the week, but it is expect ed that he storm will hit this area around Thursday. Time to hit the store and stock up on some food and water.

----------------

Here in California, with constant reminders of earthquakes, I always have backup food and water. Good to remember always have fresh batteries and water. We also have gas burners with canned gas so we can still cook in case utilities get shut off and stores are closed. Everybody should always keep 3-4 days of rations in supply just in case. I wonder how many people suffered needlessly like in the big blackout being unprepared? Cost isn't a real factor because water is not that expensive and dry goods are usually cheap.

Take care and be prepared.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 10:34:53 AM m00n wrote:

garymd....

You gotta realize, he is a young buck. Daring, adventureous! I am sure he will be fine. There has has to be lots of safe areas for him to ride it out.

----------------

Moon,

Knowing my son he'll be as far from those safe havens as possible.

When Hurricane Agnus hit in the early 70s, my sister and I and 2 friends were at the movies (Swiss Family Robinson and 101 Dalmations double feature). My father came to pick us up in his VW bug and it floated away in the flood. He spent the night helping the police get people to safety while we, and about 20 others spent the night at the movie theater manager's house. About 6 years later, I was telling this story to some friends in high school and it turned out one of them was there with us that night at the manager's house. Small world.

I am going to be hitting the store right after work and stock up on some supplies. This image is the latest and greatest. According to that image, Fredericksburg is directly in the path, but we are a bit inland (just above the edge of the solid white "bubble"):

Fortunatly, I am quite a bit ways away from the river, so I am not to concerned about the flooding. However, I am concerned about the wind as well as the very likely loss of power.

150858W5.gif

That doesn't look too good for me either! I almost bought a generator earlier this year. Now I wish I had! My wife has meds she needs to keep cold and we live in a 40 yr old neighborhood with overhead power lines that go out a lot. Maybe a trip to Sears at lunch today to check out what's in stock.

i have been thru more hurricanes than i can remember.

my biggest concern for you is the apparent amount of inland/coastal water that is around there.

while I have never evacuated in the wake of a coming hurricane, that DEFINITELY works.

if you are in an area that may flood to a life-threatning level,GET OUT!!

if it may only make roads impassable, stock up on non perishable food and plenty of water,batteries for flashlights and radios,etc.

also board-up your windows or use storm shutters if you have them.tornados may also be spawned by these storms, and you know what they can do.

a generator would be nice, to keep frozen food frozen, and for your radio/tv communications.charge up your cell phone if you have one.bring in/secure ANY stuff you have around your house that may become an airborne missle(you'd be surprised what can take flight).if you have pets, provide shelter for them as well,and if you leave take them with you.

God bless you and those who this storm may affect.

sincerely,

avman.

Greetings:

The both of you and your families have my best and prayers.

I called the Chaplain and our Minister, you'll all be included.

If you decide that yore going to stick it out and you can't find 4x8 sheets for the windows, at least tape them with a heavy masking tape to cut down the number of splinters. If you have the 4x8s toe nail in 4 corners plus the rest of the nails.

Alcohol can always take the glue off later.

Stay in a closed room, lying down, if there's no flooding in your house.

And above all, we on the Forum can help find equipment. Make sure you take care of yourselves and famiies.

For generaters, most home stores, or if you have a Grainger's, not many think of them. You don't need a whole house right now, enough for refrigerator, sump pump, two or three rooms of a light source. And if a wire is down, never assume that because it's not sparking it's dead.

For all on the East Coast in the path, our thoughts prayers and a part of ourselves and those that protect US are with you.

Gary call the phone and electric company re Catherine's meds and needs ahead of time. Some take an emergency list. Also contact the Volunteer Ambulance nearest you for same.

With your son, at least there are buildings that are built to surpass code on college campuses. He'll be ordered in, if need be.

If you have questions on his status and can't get through, call me.

Bless all

Win dodger

We in Massachusetts are somewhat relieved at the new path but we are still keeping a watchful eye on the eye.

As we know these things can change their minds in seconds and head off in a new direction.

I wish all those affected do not suffer from the wrath of mother natures power.

Make sure you take plenty of pictures with the most recent copy of a new paper in the pictures. this cann act as a timestamp of the prestrorm condition to the post.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 10:53:15 AM bkrop wrote:

Gary: where were you living during Agnus?

Gary and Skonopa: Good luck!

----------------

During Agnus I lived in Silver Spring, MD (where I grew up). It's only 12 miles from where I live now and about 25 miles south of Baltimore - between DC and Baltimore.

That was the worst I can remember hitting our area in my lifetime.

When "Emily" hit about 10 years ago, we were vacationing at the "Outer Banks" in N.C. and were evacuated. We spent 3 days at the Greenville Hyatt (1/2 price hurricanes at the bar) before going back to the beach for our last 2 days which were beautiful and calm.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and well-wishes. Same go out to all of you. Now I just need to find a generator. If my sump-pump isn't working and I can't plug in my submersible pump, my basement will surely flood.