A virus or what?

Clipped and Shorn

I agree that it probably isn't a virus, but I don't think it is really a cookie issue either - but a flaw with IE. After long periods without reboot, I will get the eBay "thanks for looking counter" when trying to 'GO' to some site using the 'Address' bar. I believe one of IE history cache files get out of sync. Rebooting seems to fix the issue, but I ALSO just so happen to clean out the 'Adware' crap using 'spybot' at the same time. The problem goes away, but I really think the 'reboot' is what does the trick.

----------------

On 9/16/2003 12:46:37 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 9/16/2003 9:45:17 AM T2K wrote:

Sounds like a worm has eaten your cookies.

----------------

But don't worry: you can buy more cookies with your cache.

fini

----------------

Just watch out for the rotton ones.

OK, I figured it out sort of. I use Internet Explorer. There is a line of "bookmarks" at the top of the main page. I never even noticed them before. There are only four of them and they seem to be randomly chosen from my potential list of hundreds of bookmarks. One of them is "Items matching (altec dividing networks)". I haven't used that bookmark for quite some time so I do not know why this particular bookmark is up there. Anyway, this bookmark is directly above the word "FORUM" when the main Klipsch page is displayed. I thought I was clicking on "FORUM" but must have accidentally hit this bookmark the other day. In any case those Altec 604E are beautiful, and at one time I might have been tempted. Anyone out there ever heard a pair of these. I understand they can sound pretty nice.

C&S

C&S,

Mine are the "Big red" studio monitors with "mastering lab" crossovers. I've owned Khorns, Jbl L300 Summit, L200, L65 Jubals and the Altec are my favorites (I like the Jbl olympus too) .

They are such a smooth sounding speakers with great imaging (for their size) and the best bass reproduction I've ever heard. There are speakers that go lower and higher but the Altecs just sound so balanced and right.

post-5419-13819249164042_thumb.jpg

C&S,

I am in the process of installing a pair of 2245s (18) in the bottom of my 828 cabinets. Sealing the upper portion for a horn loaded mid (515 B). Did you horn load your 515 or just do a BR box.? How low are you using your 515s? What frequency did you tune the 515 box to?

Jim N

Guy.

Wow, those are really neat. What is the volume of those cabinets? Compared to my 8 foot tall coffins, they seem so elegant and efficient. How do you get great bass response with such a small cabinet? It must all be in those "numbers" and equations....

Jim,

My cabinets are kind of eccentric. Mark Deneen helped me with the software calculations. It is a simple BR cabinet with the Altec 416B on the bottom end. The cabinets are tuned to 24hz (theoretically). This came out to need a net 19+ cubic foot volume {for the 416s, and would have been even more, theoretically, for the 515C and this was definitely not recommended for other specific reasons of engineering}. The 515C is inside its own small islolated cabinet within the larger box and is used above 150-200 hz. With the use of the active crossover I am able to compare the sound of midrange from the 515 and the same overlapping range with 511B Horns. Admittedly there is built in redundancy in my system and that was my intended experiment. It is kind of fun to have all these options built in. I am tending to favor the sound from the 515C over the 511B (802-8G) in some of the same frequency range, not that this would be surprising. The 515 is a very beautiful thing. The JBL tweeters (2404H) also add greatly to the equation and again offer a certain amount of redundancy to the 511B. This system allows for a lot of tweaking and expermentation which I have enjoyed. It was intentionally extravagant. For the moment it is zeroed in to an optimum, but I do find when I get obsessive about tweazing out the best sound (to my ears at that moment) for a particular recording, I will go back to the crossover and start tweaking to bring out certain instruments which I want stronger in the overall sound. I think some of my obsessions have to do with being a percussionist at heart and wanting a certain drama from the lowest bass and the sizzling sizzle at the top. I am a connoisseur of cowbell nuances. (Now there is a sentence you don't see too often).

I do possess a pair of Altec 828 cabinets as well but I have not done anything with them yet. It will be interesting and instructive for me to hear the difference in bass response between the BR and Horn loaded bass.

C&S