Off Topic: Spelling Errors!

Woodog

ok.. I'll admit it, I hate spelling errors, but then I read this. Now I dno't crae qitue as mcuh.

Birllaint Obsrevatoin...

Aoccdrnig to extnesvie rseeacrh conudcetd at Oxofrd Uinervtisy in Enlgnad, it deosn't raelly mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be in a toatl mses and you usulaly can sitll raed it wouthit much porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Jsut thnik a momnet abuot all the tmie you and I watesed laernnig how to splel wrods croreclty!

ok... I must be really uptight... I just realized 'iprmoetn' is misspelled.

Forrest (obviously too much time on my hands)

----------------

On 9/18/2003 8:52:59 AM Woodog wrote:

ok.. I'll admit it, I hate spelling errors, but then I read this. Now I dno't crae qitue as mcuh.

Birllaint Obsrevatoin...

Aoccdrnig to extnesvie rseeacrh conudcetd at Oxofrd Uinervtisy in Enlgnad, it deosn't raelly mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be in a toatl mses and you usulaly can sitll raed it wouthit much porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Jsut thnik a momnet abuot all the tmie you and I watesed laernnig how to splel wrods croreclty!

----------------

It siims to mi that thi both thi vowils and thi consonants woiold also mattir. Mioch of thi ixampli yoio gavi ridiocis word to thiir phonitic translations. Withoiot thi vowils and thi consonants, it is hard to diciphir how thi words soiond.

It seems to me that the both the vowels and the consonants would also matter. Much of the example you gave reduces word to their phonetic translations. Without the vowels and the consonants, it is hard to decipher how the words sound.

2.gif

Well I don't know whether this is the whole story. Having context must help.

In distinction, consider the anagram puzzle called "Jumbles" in the newspaper. It always seem difficult to me. In some of them the first and last letter must be in the proper position; or is that the secret to why it is difficult?

Bset,

Walilm

(The non lexicdys)

----------------

On 9/18/2003 3:23:14 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Well I don't know whether this is the whole story. Having context must help.

In distinction, consider the anagram puzzle called "Jumbles" in the newspaper. It always seems difficult to me. In some of them the first and last letter must be in the proper position; or is that the secret to why it is difficult?

Bset,

Walilm

(The non lexicdys)

----------------

Ok.. I PROMISE I won't post another thing about this. I'd much rather be listening to or playing music.. but one of my friends (and a rock'n'roller with me back in the day), who has a much more facile mind than my own... sent this to me via email. I do hope 'cut and paste' works well. fascinating stuff.

forrest

Stuart Massey wrote:

Ok, I whipped up a randomizer and put my message through it. See if you can read it...

--------- begin randomized message ----------

Bcesaue tihs sntcneee flwools the rlues olutnied in the origianl msagsee, eorvnyee ouhgt to eoetcnnur llitte trbloue irepnetirntg it. Hveweor, I ianmgie evoernye wlil fnid it dfifciult. Why?

Frsit of all, of the ntieny-trhee wdors in the oirgnail mgassee uendr ctdoniraisoen, fftiy-ehgit are of fuor lreetts or lses. Eihter tehy're ipsmbosile to jumlbe or thier jblunimg is tviiral. Aethnor eelven are fvie lretets lnog, wchih menas you olny hvae to ubnljmue there leretts - a fialry esay tsak.

Aeonthr tihng I nticoe abuot tihs is taht the leertts in bteewen the frsit and the lsat are not in cpeletolmy radonm oredr. In fcat, the cnsntoaons are uulslay in the rgiht odrer. Of the ttirhy-fvie wrods taht are fvie or mroe lertets lnog, olny egiht hvae cotnonnass swpaepd. Tshoe are (two cnnstooans) "erevy", "place", "whole" and "waetesd", all of wchih I tihnk are rteahr dlifufict to raed wehn not in ceonxtt; and (mroe tahn two cnotnsnaos) "rraeesch", "Aoriccdng", "iprmentot" (mleslpsied), and "Urivitensy", all of wihch are a ltlite eeaisr to raed bacseue the eelirar cntansonos are slitl erlay in the wrod, the ltear cnnaosonts are sitll letar in the wrod, and the vwoels are in the rihgt oderr.

--------- end randomized message ----------

--------- begin un-randomized message ----------

Because this sentence follows the rules outlined in the original message, everyone ought to encounter little trouble interpreting it. However, I imagine everyone will find it difficult. Why?

First of all, of the ninety-three words in the original message under consideration, fifty-eight are of four letters or less. Either they're impossible to jumble or their jumbling is trivial. Another eleven are five letters long, which means you only have to unjumble three letters - a fairly easy task.

Another thing I notice about this is that the letters in between the first and the last are not in completely random order. In fact, the consonants are usually in the right order. Of the thirty-five words that are five or more letters long, only eight have consonants swapped. Those are (two consonants) "ervey", "pclae", "wlohe" and "watesed", all of which I think are rather difficult to read when not in context; and (more than two consonants) "rseeacrh", "Aoccdrnig", "iprmoetnt" (misspelled), and "Uinervtisy", all of which are a little easier to read because the earlier consonants are still early in the word, the later consonants are still later in the word, and the vowels are in the right order.

--------- end un-randomized message ----------

Epilogue: It's notable that the jumbled versions of the longer words with swapped consonants that I cite are harder to read when randomly re-jumbled.

This very, very interesting to me.

Your buddy is quite correct. Three or four anagrams are easy. Then it gets more difficult as word length goes up. But we do recognize simple transpositions.

It is a bit of an aside, but do let me recommend "The Code Book" by Simon Sing. It is about cryptology. The Romans to computers. Included in there is the the story of decoding of the Inigma code, Hyeroglyphics (sp?) and Linear B. Astounding little reads in their own right. Plus the Navaho code talkers of WWII. A good, paperback Christmas gift for any one who is difficult to buy for.

Part of our abililty to decode and tolerate mispellings may come about because of the fact that so many words in English are mis spelled from the phoentics. There is often the e and i combinantion.which moves around, perhaps because of a German issue. Is it Steinway or Stienway. Frankenstein or Frankenstien. A small joke exploited in Young Frankenstein.

I'm not sure about spatial relations either. For example. In spelling, someone may say that they don't see a difference between a d and b. On the other hand, in a spacial relations test, they are told they are the same and just flipped around. A different view of the same object.

I am often fooled by a decal on the reverse side of a glass door. It says, "Push" on the other side. My first impression, because of good spacial relations, is to read that it says Push. and I do. Then, I feel stupid.

Gil