Sakuma-san amplifiers

Guy Landau

kiyomizu 4p55.jpg

No, but I'm a tad concerned...have the Japanese audiophiles ever seen Moondogs or Pantheons?

I mean, c'mon now...look at this thing! It may sound sweet, but it's a Frankenstein monster. Looks like parts of an old Heathkit and a Pilot screwed together!14.gif

post-11084-13819249237818_thumb.jpg

The Japanese were WAAAAY ahead of the USA in getting SET back into the fray. Remember, some of the VERY first amps EVERY made were single-ended triode amps. The Japanese were actually what kept Cary Audio afloat as they bought almost ALL his first 300se monoblocks back in 89-91 (Dennis Had was really the first US manufacturer to attempt SET on a large scale). AGain, they were at least a good 10 years ahead of the USA in realization of the amazing potenial of the single-ended triode into ultra high efficiency horns. And the Japanese have built some beautiful amps though the average consumer doesnt see too many here. Audio Note is just one...

kh

845_STC4212 SET.jpg

I'm glad the Japanese kept SET alive and I'm greatful for that. My only issue is with the looks, although I'm not familiar with any other SET manufacturers in the Land of the Rising Sun...they may look better.

This cabinet is much better, but the utilitarian look just doesn't appeal to me, not to mention the odd paint scheme. The brass plaque with Bach's name on it intrigues me, though.

Bet that 4212 makes a great space heater in those tiny Japanese apartments during their cold winters!

post-11084-13819249238078_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 9/23/2003 8:23:51 AM Guy Landau wrote:

These are not mass production amps. Sakuma publishes his schematics for free and you can build and finish them to suit your taste.

Jeff,

How about building one?
2.gif

----------------

I never really consider it as:

a) they are much too costly to build. The IT must be of the outmost quality in order not to screw up the sound. And 300B driving 300B is starting to be a bit expensive.

B) I can't say I am really hot about Sakuma approach, i.e. DHT driving DHT through IT coupling. I can't say why exactly, it's just a gut feeling based on my imagination of the enthusiasts about this topology. I always imagine them as a bunch of annoying Ernests listening critically to Patricia Barber albums in ugly listening rooms. It's not based on anything rational as you can see.

----------------

On 9/23/2003 2:30:55 PM painful reality wrote:

I never really consider it as:

a) they are much too costly to build. The IT must be of the outmost quality in order not to screw up the sound. And 300B driving 300B is starting to be a bit expensive.

B)
I can't say I am really hot about Sakuma approach, i.e. DHT driving DHT through IT coupling. I can't say why exactly, it's just a gut feeling based on my imagination of the enthusiasts about this topology. I always imagine them as a bunch of annoying Ernests listening critically to Patricia Barber albums in ugly listening rooms. It's not based on anything rational as you can see.

----------------

Jeff,

You are right. The Tamura IT transformers are not in the same qaulity as their output trannies and have a very limited bandwidth. The one that Sakuma uses are out of prodction (or only specially made for him) and the ones that he recommends are kinda compromise. I bet that the Tango IT can be used to better effect. My friend tried to get their specifications and Tamura gently tried to avoid giving them to him, but eventually did. He will be using Tango's IT and I'll receive an update as soon as he'll finish building his amps (but it may take few months).

----------------

On 9/23/2003 2:59:27 PM Guy Landau wrote:

You are right. The Tamura IT transformers are not in the same qaulity as their output trannies and have a very limited bandwidth. The one that Sakuma uses are out of prodction (or only specially made for him) and the ones that he recommends are kinda compromise. I bet that the Tango IT can be used to better effect. My friend tried to get their specifications and Tamura gently tried to avoid giving them to him, but eventually did. He will be using Tango's IT and I'll receive an update as soon as he'll finish building his amps (but it may take few months).

----------------

The mu-metal IT from Lundahl (I forgot the number) is suppose to be really good to, probably much cheaper than the Tangos. Your friend might look at this winder too.

Allan! Darn, I had a crush on her!

----------------

On 9/23/2003 5:21:16 PM Are Friends Electric wrote:

Geezus crackers, don't try this at home, not even you Jeff, click image for full story on Sakuma-inspired il Monstro..

The Sakuma site itself is interesting, especially
. Quite a different approach to audio arts than what you might read in Stereophile.

----------------

Don't worry... it's a bit far away in my to do list. The preamp hooked on this beast must be in the "champ" category.