JAZZ Recommendations: SONNY ROLLINS

mobile homeless

Newks%20time.jpgRollins%20whats%20new.jpgEast%20Broadway%20Run%20Downjpg.jpg

Newk's Time - Blue Note 1957

What's New - RCA Victor 1962

East Broadway Run Down - Impulse 1966

Some wonderful Rollins titles have been recommended and I'm blessed to have several of them. I'm adding the three releases above which arent mentioned too often. I feel they are well worth checking out. With careful hunting and a keen eye (if you prefer the vinyl), they can often be found for bargain prices, or the CD route for an instant purchase.

Sonny%20Side%20Up.jpg

Sonny Side Up - Verve 1957

The Sonny Side Up LP is recommended because Rollins was one of the two great tenors on this release. Dizzy Gillespie is the leader of the 1957 Verve release. It is a personal favorite of mine as it showcases the talents of Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, Gillespie and a great rhythm section too. MY Desert Island Pick!

None of these should prove disappointing.

The "East Broadway Run Down" is actually available on 180g vinyl via Impulse. It's a tricky Rollins selection because some of the tracks appear to sound as if he is bored and almost blindly repeating a phrase (actually one long sample in particular). Still, it has some good stuff on it and is available as a reissue one 180g. Strangely enough, I havent really liked the sonic quality of these 180g releases that much. They have been "ok" and surely worth the $13 or so but I dont find them very alluring sonically.

Good additions though, Shapeshifter. I was thinking of narrowing down the picks to a top three to sample in the next recs so people wouldnt feel overwhelmed. Still, it's helpful to see samples like this if perusing the used bins and the turn up. Unfortunately, used bins hold so much junk, it's a tough call. I am lucky to come away with 1 out of 1000.

kh

Yea, Rollins does seem a bit lost or uninspired through most of the East Broadway Run Down title track, but Hubbard and the rest of the rhythm section hold it together for the most part. The remainder of the album is tight and very good.

I'm fortunate that it usually costs me more time than money to find a good original or second release title like the ones identified. I certainly agree that highly prized originals, in very good condition at bargin prices are a less likely find. Far more Pyrite than Gold!

Good to see music threads again.

Well,

Yesterday I've won a copy of "The bridge" on ebay (thanks Allan).

I went downtown to Academy Records and bought the "a night at the village vanguard". It is the new Direct Metal Mastering by Blue Note, but it does sound a little compressed.

Also bought:

1. "Paul Desmond and friends" Warner bros W1356,1960 mono recording with Jim Hall, Percy Heath and Connie Kay.

2. Teddy Edwards with Les McCann LTD "Its about time", Pacific Jazz PJ-6.

3. Gerry Mulligan Quartet "Paris concert", World Pacific records

PJ-1210. Great concert that was recorded in 1954.

4. Gerry Mulligan Quartet featuring Chet Baker, PJ-1207.

5. Gerry Mulligan Quartet, Verve, V6-8466.

6. Duke Ellington "Newport 1958" with Gerry Mulligan, Columbia CS 8072, 6 eye.

7. Ella Fitzgerald sings the Gershwin song book vol.1, Verve, mgv-4013.

Thanks for all those wonderful jazz threads.

Guy

----------------

On 9/25/2003 2:06:29 PM Allan Songer wrote:

The white label Riverside LPs are all worth a TON of money--you can get a perfect deep-groove blue label (pressed about 6 months later, probably) "Sound of Sonny" for about $50 if you look around. I have never even seen a white label copy of this LP so the "freaks" are bidding it up to the stratosphere because they HAVE TO HAVE IT.

Last year I sold a "New York, 23" copy of Sonny Rollins Vol. 2 on Blue Note for an incredible sum on ebay and kept my "47 W. 63rd NYC" copy which was in MUCH better shape (again, probably pressed only months later). I did it, of course, to buy an insanely expesive "Blowin' in from Chicago" (Blue Note 1549). Collecting records is like being addicted to drugs and it's really a rather small community--there are probably less than 500 of us who give a rat's *** about this stuff.. . . .

----------------

When you say white label Riverside you dont mean this do you?

scan0075.jpg?dc=4675440783702295655

I am not normally that lucky - I picked this record up for about ten bucks...