ESSENTIAL JOHN COLTRANE

Allan Songer

No album covers, but here are the ten everyone should own:

1. Live at the Village Vanguard (Impulse)

2. Africa/Brass (Impulse)

3. A Love Supreme (Impulse)

4. Giant Steps (Atlantic)

5. Blue Train (Blue Note)

6. John Coltrane with the Red Garland Trio (Prestige)

7. My Favorite Things (Atlantic)

8. John Coltrane with Duke Ellington (Impulse)

9. Live at Birdland (Impulse)

10. Ascension (Impulse)

Thats what I think anyway.

My Favorite Things is on the list.

Personally, I love ALL of the Prestige stuff--the ones you mentioned plus many, many others like Mating Call with Tadd Dameron and ALL of the Red Garland LPs. Coltrane was just beginning to figure out where he wanted to go--he'd been with Miles a short while and developing at a frightening pace. I included one Prestige date as a leader (the best one I think) on the list and I think they are ALL essential, but they really are not in the same league with the later Impulse recordings.

coltrane.jpg

Yep. Great start.

Here are a few more Coltrane's to add to the list - ALL EXCELLENT:

- Lush Life

- Soultrane

- Traneing In

- Ballads

- Gentle Side of John Coltrane (a good cross section)

- Coltrane's Sound (harmonics)

The regular CDs of this material are REALLY subpar in my view. Please try to find the vinyl or at least a quality remaster. Coltrane's stuff really does not come out well. Something like "The Best of John Coltrane" is sonically VERY disappointing.

As always, this stuff comes to life with good vinyl.

kh

Jazz 101 - bop appreciation

Perhaps it would be of interest to pick a few tracks to discuss Jazz appreciation. Some of this stuff is less accessible than a 3 minute pop song so understanding the interplays and solos may be of interest towards the gaining of more enjoyment.

When one hears some of the long Coltrane "Love Supreme" tracks for example how does one get past perceiving just long strings of "type-writter" drumming on the left speaker and "machine gun bullets" of sax from the right?

My perception is that these threads are about exanding one's horizong and not written with the tone of "if you don't get it, get the hell out".

Thanks to Kelly and Allan for all the great info.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at Elvin Jones' poly-rhythmic extravaganza being called "type writer" drumming. But I get what you mean about trying to understand music you're not familiar with! What I'll do is go break down 1 or 2 classic perfomances that you easily have access to and give you my take, my blow-by-blow of whats going on and see if you agree or disagree with me and then others can chirp in as well. I will NOT get heavily into any kind of theory, as I'm not much of a musician myself and that stuff can get pretty technical and boring as well! I'll post this in the next day or two under the heading "Jazz 101" and we can go from there.

I'm going to listen to my LOVE SUPREME SACD tonight and see if my top of mind "Type Writer" comment is even remotely close12.gif I couldn't think of a word to get my point across.... poly rhythmic sounds better.

I am also going to listen to the Sonny Rollins and other Coltrane songs on the KEN BURNS Jazz box set I have.

Any comments about tracks from these would be appreciated as I will most definately listen along. I'll go buy others if you want to use them as examples instead.

I read the CLASSICAL MUSIC FOR DUMMIES BOOK and it has a CD along with comments on each track with the CD time noted. I found this very interesting.

I also read "Who's Afraid of Classical Music?", "The NPR Guide to Building a Classical CD Collection" and The International Guide to Building a Classical Music Library"...or at least parts of these books as they are reference guides. I was thinking of reading the IDIOTS GUIDE TO JAZZ and I've seen a few others.

Earlier this week I was at a local music store that sells used CD's and vinyl. I came across a used copy of Coltrane's "Lush Life" on CD. It was a remaster, and apparently used a remastering process with a JVC K20 at the heart of it....whatever that is (as you can tell, I'm not technically inclined). However, for $7.00, I thought I've give it a try. It really sounds wonderful, played back on my NAD T-550 CD/DVD player. Very smooth, vibrant and present. Some background hiss, which the manufacturer attributed to the source recording. But otherwise, excellent, and a great performance.

• 11 months later...

love da Trane and the suggestions, but please post under CD's and DVD's section, If under suggestion of the week, you'll be in line for Mr. Thebes t-shirt extravaganza.

btw, how do you guys get album covers downloaded, I take it you're not photographing them as I see no ring wear. I simply adore album cover artwork, one of the many things we lost with the advent of CD and yuch MP3's. I've actually heard professional disc jockey's at weddings using computers for mixing and the grossest, grittiest mp3 downloads you've every heard. At dance floor sound levels, makes me want to get out the E.A.R.s. knowwhatimean!

I wasn't around when this thread got started so I'm glad to see it. Thanks to the jazz affaciandos here I am now the proud owner of Pete Kelly's Blues and just picked up Peter Gunn a 24 bit remaster from RCA Victor. Also have acquired Eastern Standard Time's "Second Hand". Looks like I have some Coltrane in my future.

And it has to be played LOUD!!! I mean REALLY REALLY LOUD! The last time I listened to Ascension was about 6 months ago on a Sunday afternoon. I was all alone in the house and sat there with about 7 beers in me after doing 5-6 hours of intense physical labor. I had the Cornwalls CRANKING and was COMPLETELY into the music (the interplay between Coltrane and Pharoh Sanders can be really breathtaking at times) when my neighbor yelled into an open window "can you PLEASE turn that sh!t DOWN?!?!?!". I felt 16 again for just one minute . . . .

The original post may be old, but for me, the sound of Coltrane's playing never is. Lately, I've been on an extended Coltrane binge, playing a different John Coltrane LP, as leader or group member, almost daily for the last month plus. I have not counted, but Miles is probably the only Jazz artist that is more represented on my shelves. I own all but one or two LPs mentioned. Let me throw in a few additional selections from my Coltrane collection that I also think are worth owning.

Monk & Coltrane, Riverside

The Last Trane, Prestige

Coltrane plays the blues, Atlantic

Ole', Atlantic

Crescent, Impulse

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, Impulse

Happy Friday everyone!

Klipsch out.

fini, you're right, Jazz Casual was the first television series devoted entirely to blues and jazz, the John Coltrane piece was originally recorded at KQED Studios in San Francisco, California on November 1, 1963 and first broadcast February 18, 1964 on the National Educational Television Network. The music alone in this session is worth seeking, witnessing the manner in which it was played will leave a lasting impression.. Other artist titles from this series can be found at amazon.com, a short bio on Ralph Gleason below,

Ralph Gleason only lived to be 58 but he had a very productive career. After graduating from Columbia University in 1938, Gleason was the founder and editor of Jazz Information, one of the first jazz magazines. He was originally a partisan for dixieland and New Orleans jazz but always kept an open mind. Gleason was a regular contributor to Down Beat (1948-61) and the San Francisco Chronicle (1950-75). He also wrote for a variety of magazines including Stereo Review and Jazz. Gleason was the editor of a 1958 book Jam Session: An Anthology of Jazz, helped found the Monterey Jazz Festival with Jimmy Lyons and was the host of the Jazz Casual television show (videos of which exist) in the 1960s. Gleason (who wrote many liner notes through the years) was always interested in popular music and he surprised many by not only founding Rolling Stone in 1967 but becoming its editor and embracing creative rock. However his passion for jazz never lessened and Ralph Gleason (who was a vice president of Fantasy Records during 1970-75) came out with a jazz book (Celebrating the Duke) shortly before his premature death. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

Well that was quick. Hit an estate sale this weekend. The departed had mostly classical but look I picked up:

Coltrane "A Love Supreme" 2 cd SACD by Impulse

Coltrane "Legacy" a four cd set by Verve

Miles Davis and John Coltrane The Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1959 6 cd set put out by Sony

And for you lovers of frugality cost ws $24

My jazz collection has now just about doubled.