Getting a pair of Chorus II, Amp???

Bob243

It has been quite a while since I have been looking at audio equip. I recently decided to start looking, and the first thing I decided to look for was a new pair of Chorus II speakers, when I found that they were no longer made, I was quite dissappointed. After spending some time looking at current model speakers from quite a few different manufactures, I just couldn't seem to find anything appealing. It seems like everything it "satelite" type setups. As well as the lack of selection in 2 channel audio systems.8.gif By chance, I ran across Audio Classics in Vestel NY and found a pair. Needless to say, I waisted no time arranging a trip there to have a look/listen. The room I listened to them was about 2-3 times the size of the room I am putting the speakers in. It also had concrete floors and solid walls. I am confident these speakers will rock quite well in the room I am putting them in with wood floors.

My music preference includes pretty much everything from Hardcore/Punk to music such as Tori Amos. Including Country, Blues, and even some raver type music.. Whatever the mood fits... Some music I listen too has some pretty heavy bass (NOT RAP) but stuff like Korn, RATM, Sepultra are a few examples, If I am in an odd mood, I will listen to something like Beastie Boys.

When I bring them home (probably the end of next month, since they are on layaway) I will run them with the poweramp section on my Hitachi SR2004 that I dug out of the closet. But I am going to be looking into getting a new (or used) Preamp/Amp/Tuner components.

Now the point of the last three paragraphs.. 2.gif

I am not sure what to go with for a power amp.

Some amps I was considering.... Adcom GFA5800, (2)Adcom GFA555(origional) bridged, (2)NAD 208THX (bridged as well).. If I save up, I can probably be able to walk into a used MC7200 McIntosh, or a Krell KAV250A.

I think the McIntosh MC7200 is absolutely beautiful. Will it deliver the hard hitting bass in some of the music I listed above? Some of the models have an "N" on the end of them(MC7200N) what does that meen?

Any preamp suggestions?

Does anyone have any advice or experiances to offer?

Thanks,

Bob

You probably got overcharged for them, Audio Classics is notoriously high priced. Although seeing as they are nearby and you were able to audition them and view them that is obviously a big plus. Many of the amplifiers that you listed will sound good with the Chorus II's.

----------------

On 9/26/2003 2:48:18 PM Frzninvt wrote:

You probably got overcharged for them, Audio Classics is notoriously high priced. Although seeing as they are nearby and you were able to audition them and view them that is obviously a big plus. Many of the amplifiers that you listed will sound good with the Chorus II's.

----------------

Actually I think they were pretty fair on the price.. I seen 2 pair go on ebay for about $100 cheaper. However, I got to check them out, I won't have to pay for shipping since I drive a p/u, and best of all.... I have never been to a place that hooked up the speakers, turned the equip. on, and said "there it the volume control, enjoy" and then leave the room. They had them listed as a "B" which is "light scratches" I couldn't find one defect on them.. I was very pleased with my service there so far.. I am one of those that would rather spend and extra hundred or two and build a relationship with a specific dealer, rather than order something off the internet from some place that won't exist next year.

The really sad part is, there used to be some really good shops in the area, but all have closed.8.gif .. This is probably about the 2nd closest to my house. The couple shops in Allentown, PA may have them beet by about 10 min. driving time.

I encourage you to read more threads.

Guys with Chorus, Corns , LaScalas and the like once trying tubes; tend to avoid SS amplification.

Your amp considerations are quite impressive; but unless you are trying to fill an airplane hangar with sound...way overpowering.

For the headbanger Dynaco Mark III refurbed would most likey knock your socks off.

of course you take this path with no in store auditions.

All of my 2 channel rig was purchased at different times with no auditions of the exact equipment.

I can understand the concern. Reading the threads, many are very big fans of triodes and this that or the other SS for home theater.

I've not investigated, for lack of cash and time.

On the other hand.

The Forte II at the office sound good driven by a modern Sony mini receiver. It probably has IC amps. The Quartets at home sound good with a 1975 JVC reciever. All discrete components and low power.

Now, I will admit that the big home made horn system I have in my sister's garage (still!) sounds a bit harsh, sometimes, with a 1980 Sony receiver. But consider there is nothing in that "room" which is not metal, wall board or concrete. Plus the metal overhead door. A moveable live end and dead end appliance. Smile.

Now maybe this is a comment on low power amps.

But I'd say there is no reason to rush into a purchase of an amp unless you're sure it will be the cure to an identifiable problem.

I'm a bit puzzled that so many, reporting in good faith, say that there is a night and day difference between one amp and other. It is fair to point out that I've not been there for an A-B test. But they've not been challenged to an A-B-X test either. My fall back is that my low tech vintage amps, with Klipsch speakers do a terrific job, to my ear. Perhaps I "lucked out".

In any event, do experiment to the extent you pocketbook allows. If you can borrow the "super amps" or "super wire", I think that is the best way to go.

Congrats on the purchase. The Chorus II must be terrific.

I visited the store in Binghampton last winter. The Mac stuff is very tempting. The prices may be a bit higher than I can dicker for elsewhere. But they'd be the first place I go for a piece of used gear if I wanted a known dealer. I think you made a good choice.

Gil

Congrats on your upcoming purchase.

I think you will be just fine with running your old gear on them.

If after amonth, it still doesn't satisfy, try a few cheaper options.

I've discovered that many "low-fi" 70's receivers perform well when mated to my Chorus2s.

They generally have a very pleasing sound.

Not nessesarily accurate, but pleasing none-the-less.

In a word...Non-fatiguing.

A few in particular that i've found to work exceptionally well are:

Pioneer SX-770

SX-990

SX-6000

SA-8100

Marantz 2235

Sansui QR-4500

Adcom GFA-545

Realistic STA-2000

Nivico 5003

But above many of these, I've found that the StereoTech 1200 (McIntosh sister branch) gave the most pleasing performance.

It's worth searching around for one. IMHO.

They are pretty nice.

Since your dealing with AudioClassics, you should ask Frank Gow about their availablity.

He might be able to point you in the right direction.

Have fun and enjoy.

Regards,

John.

Some amps I was considering.... Adcom GFA5800, (2)Adcom GFA555(origional) bridged, (2)NAD 208THX (bridged as well).. If I save up, I can probably be able to walk into a used MC7200 McIntosh, or a Krell KAV250A.

I am not against SS. My foray into tubes was to get a sound I enjoyed as a young boy in the 60s and 70s with my parents top of the line Motorola tube HIFI.

I have bought 2 Denon 10-14 year old integrateds in the past couple of years that are quite nice. Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz and others are capable as well.

Both on E Bay for less than $ 100.

It just makes me concerned when I infer someone thinks they need big SS monoblocks or a Krell to get performance from horn speakers.

Chorus IIs sound sweet with 20 watts and less.

Large amounts of cash are not necessary.

For Chorus-II I recommend a NOS Valves rebuild. Between NOS and Audio Flynn you'll get the right recomendation. I use SET, and absolutely love it, but had to do some tweaking to convince the SET to handle the Chorus impedance swings. My Tripath based P6D works well, but it'll be a while before I do another run of those. wouldn't go for any of the commercial pwm amps .. way too much power .. not optimized for efficient speakers (Chorus is one of the mose efficient). As for ss? I wouldn't bother.

leok

I've owned a ton of vintage ss stuff, and two that stand out for being smooth sounding is the Pioneer sx1010 receiver and Marantz 2275 receiver. I'm sure there are many others, also. Good receivers from the seventies tend, IMHO, to be smoother and less fatiging then most modern ss unless you get into a very high price range.

Of course, a good tube amp just has more "magic" in it and will sound fantastic with a good horn.

Dave1.gif

"As for ss? I wouldn't bother."

LEOK,

Ok for the direct approach. I was working to be more subtle.

Spending $ 500 or more on SS amplification for Klipsch speakers is a misapplication of reseources.

I run a 73 pound 5 X 125 Sherwood Newcastle power amp for my HT.

It is basiccally 5 monoblacks strapped together.

It is OK for HT but absolutely not "magical" for 2 channel music listening.

-----------------

For NEWBIES:

When LEOKs humble signature says homebrew amps it means he designs and makes them himself.

I have one of his 8 watt PWM amp designs.

The most mysterious 8 watt stereo amp that weighs in less than 2 pounds.

Allot of magic in a little box.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW use the dealer locator on the main page or current speaker model page, a new dealer is listed in the back mountain area! Don't know anything about them or what besides Klipsch they carry but Trucksville is much closer than Vestal NY.1.gif

----------------

On 10/6/2003 4:32:31 PM dgb wrote:

Dude, you've got to be kidding.

I just emailed them about trading my KG4s for those ChorusII!

I'll race you for em!
:)

----------------

Not kidding 1.gif. But check anyway, right after I got back, they were not listed on the site.. Shortly after(couple days), they had a set listed again... Could very well be another set. Brian told me they do not last very long after they get them in. I just happened to decide to upgrade, and ran across the site..(infact I did a search for McIntosh just to amuse myself) At least they better be another set.. they are almost paid of6.gif I am going to try like heck to pay them off in the next two weeks, so it's not too cold when I am carting them back in my pickup.

----------------

On 9/26/2003 2:48:18 PM Frzninvt wrote:

You probably got overcharged for them, Audio Classics is notoriously high priced.

Just to let you know how high priced they are most of the time, I called about a 6HU6 tuning eye tube for my Mac MX110 today and was told by Audio Classics that they were rare but had plenty at $30/each. I then called another tube place recommended by Win. They had a few laying around for $7 each.

----------------

On 10/6/2003 6:21:26 PM bkrop wrote:

BTW use the dealer locator on the main page or current speaker model page, a new dealer is listed in the back mountain area! Don't know anything about them or what besides Klipsch they carry but Trucksville is much closer than Vestal NY.
1.gif

----------------

How did you find Trucksville? The closest I found was Selinsgrove, which is not much closer than Vestel.. (Not counting Best Buy) I drove through Trucksville every day when my dept (Telephone Co.) was out near the Lake. I don't remember seeing any shops out there. Voitek is in Kingston, but they don't have much, and half of that is in boxes rather than setup as demo.

N/M.. I found it... I will have to stop by there, just to see what they have.