AVIA CALIBRATE DVD??

love_hertz

Yeah I have it. It's a good DVD, has some very good newbie stuff on it. It's not all just test tones what not.

The one area where I am not very clear on with this DVD, is what you are supposed to do with all the bass management stuff. They have some tests that don't make much since to me such as lfe and front, lfe and center, lfe and right, lfe and the surrounds. Plus all the warble tones and sweeps... What are you supposed to be doing there?

Anyone care to elaborate on this?

Oh and yes, get a radio shack SPL. There are more expensive ones but this is more than adaquate for what you need now.

hey luvHz!

ya can pick up da phone ya know2.gif

i have two setup dvd's, avia is one of them,sound and vision the other. they really help to make sure you have the audio and video dialed in!

YES, get an ANALOG spl meter from radio shack, even w/my years of experience, i found that i was 'off' as far as level adjustment goes.(maybe off in other ways, but we won't go there3.gif )

use 'slow' response setting and read 'a' vs. 'c' weighting, one takes bass into account.

hope this helps, call me if you wish.

avman.

Regarding the RadioShack ANALOG SPL meter: It seems that RS might have stopped selling this. It is no longer listed on their website, and I cannot find one (or even the digital one) in any of my local RS stores.

Does anybody know of another source for one of these?!?

I just got started in all this HT stuff. Purchased the AVIA dvd and set up my 51" RPTV and sound using the RS sound meter and test patterns. Big difference in the picture and no way could I set up sound w/o the meter. I'd watch the meter move around and couldn't tell any difference in soundlevel. OA results in sound and picture were outstanding. Highly recommended.Being new to all this I'd be interested in hearing some feedback on some of the equipment below. I'm very happy with everything now, especially my Klipsch speakers since I took back the (ahem...) BOSE AM12 system (thank god for their 90 day return policy).

NUDUDE

Hitachi Ultravision 51S700 51" RPHDTV w/tuner 16:9

Sony STRDE695 6.1 Receiver

Panasonic DVD-F85S 5-Disc DVD, DVD-A/DVD-RAM/R,CD-R/RW,MP3,WMA,JPEG

Klipsh RF15(2), SC-1, SS-1(2), KSW10

VCR Panasonic

Surge Prot Monster HTS800

Connections: MonsterBass 300, MonsterVideo3 Comp.Video,RCA Optical cables(2), Speakers 16GA Twisted pairs, Analog Audio cables for DVD-A

Spectron DTV2000 Amplified Antenna (for free HDTV)

Sony Playstation2

Lovehertz:

'Video Essentials' (Joe Kane Productions) just released a brand new version of their calibration DVD called 'Digital Video Essentials' (DVD for NTSC). It was released September 9, 2003. It contains the very latest information of any of the calibrations disks I've seen and includes High-definition anamorphic widescreen setup. I just received a copy last Friday that I had ordered through Amazon.com for $17.49. Although the AVIA disk is good, it was released in 1999 and it is more expensive ($37.46). The old Video Essentials was originally released in 1997. I have not had the chance to try my new disk out yet. I'll let you know what I think of it. The reviews I have read say that the Digital Video Essentials DVD tends to have more video setup stuff and the AVIA DVD tends to lean more towards Audio-setup stuff, although both DVDs do cover both topics. So, you will have to decide which you prefer. One last note, 'Digital Video Essentials' is also available in D-VHS tape format for the calibration of 720p and 1080i HDTV theaters. They are understandibly more costly at $89.99. I may get one to calibrate my projector for my JVC D-VHS deck. I hope this information helps you. Best of luck!

-Picky 2.gif

Welp, I just messed around with the new DVE DVD last Saturday for about an hour on my Sharpvision projector. I must admit, I was a bit confused, but it may be because I was ill that day and had a hard time concentrating on the dialog on the disk. There are a lot of test patterns on the disk and it will take me a while to discover which projector controls corellate to which adjustments for the various patterns. Please remember: When it comes to projector calibration, I am a rookie. I will be giving it another shot this weekend as I am feeling much better now. I will report back my findings. My initial feelings are that the disk is worth the money I spent (under $20 at Amazon) and it is packed full of techical information, relative to both sound and video. It's well worth a look. Despite the small amount of adjusting I did (contrast, brightness, color level and color balance) the picture looks a lot better and more realistic than it did with the factory settings. The blacks are now "blacker". Sorry folks, I wish I could be of more help at this time....but, I'll give it another go and write up my findings.

-Picky 2.gif

one of the best adjustments you can make to a video display(front projectors in particular)is to adjust the bias and gain settings for red/blue/green.

this applies to lcd pj's, i'm not sure about other displays.

this allows for color fidelity and the best contrast ratio.

it requires a 'black-to-white' pattern for the three colors(r/g/b).

detail in the image is also greatly improved.

still haven't got the d-vhs setup tape for hd, but i will follow-up.

avman.