Vertical Cornwall Questions

greg928gts

I've seen a lot of interest in vertical horn Cornwalls on this forum.

Does anyone listen to these in the upright position? Or are they strictly for laying on their sides?

Is the sound different from the regular ones when they are on their sides?

Is the interest, and apparently higher value because they are rare, old, or is there some other reason they sell for more money?

Greg

I've seen a lot of interest in vertical horn Cornwalls on this forum. Does anyone listen to these in the upright position? Or are they strictly for laying on their sides?

Is the sound different from the regular ones when they are on their sides? Is the interest, and apparently higher value because they are rare, old, or is there some other reason they sell for more money?

================================================

Yes, they may be listened to, in the upright position. If directly in the sweetspot "some" even prefer it too this way. So in answer to your ? no they do not "have to be" on the sides. Then again...90% of people probably do have them on the sides as this would give the best soundfield. On the sides..it sounds the same to an origional Cornwall I (older version)

I think the interest is for several reasons.

1) While we diminished everything to get smaller and smaller in HT situations, we found that big sound, good wide dynamics, and full range (out of a center channel for instance) using a vertical cornwall... Is awesome.

2) That said... Big speakers are making a comeback. Those little.. (Sorry Bose) cubes are ok at the store... But lets be honest a Big soundtrack, on a Big screen, is even better!

3) Last some, while there are arguments... on both sides..., people believe in old world (heritage style) craftmanship where pride of the cabinet, pride in the components, x overs, woofers, mids and highs sound wonderful, just as they were designed to do... working together.

Last I am partial.. I have, and own Cornwalls. I happen to really love them. I will be honest. For those who have not heard them it is a shame.. They are worth all the hype!!

I usually start out my listening sessions in the upright position. Depending on many factors (refreshments, style of music playing, listening partner), I may end up on my side, sure.

fini

Imo they sound best vertical as was the orig cornwall .

I have one of the very first rear ported cornwalls with vertical horns It was made to only stand vertical.This to me sounds amazing even better than my late vertical horns.

The orig K horns had vertical tweeters.

When klipsch did away with the wood mid horn and replaced it with the smaller cast horn they turned the tweeter so it would fit in the cabnet. Had it stayed vertical they would have had to

change the height of the speakers.the Ev t35 was designed for vertical use on it side has always been a compromise.

I think one big reasone they did away with the left and right vertical Cornwall was to reduce cost

having to only make one speaker model not a left and right.

Some or lot of klipsch changes over the years were not always for better sound but better profits.They did have to make a profit to stay in buesness

The reason I ask, is that I will be restoring a pair of cherry Corns this winter, and I love the look of having the cherry veneer show on the front of the speaker with no grilles. Because I will be installing new veneer on the front, I have the option of installing the horns in the vertical position if I choose.

Is this worth doing for the sound quality?

Greg

Greg, the vertical orientation of the horns actually WIDENS the dispersion pattern of the horn, albeit counterintuitive. I also think this is why PWK went with that orientation on the early Klipschorns.

To my ear (not even a Silver standard here), the delta between vertical HF sections and horizontal is pronounced and audible.

----------------

On 10/4/2003 8:27:06 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

Greg, the vertical orientation of the horns actually WIDENS the dispersion pattern of the horn, albeit counterintuitive. I also think this is why PWK went with that orientation on the early Klipschorns.

To my ear (not even a Silver standard here), the delta between vertical HF sections and horizontal is pronounced and audible.
----------------

Greg,

I own '73 verts and '75 horz.

PWK said " there is not a dimes worth of difference between the two". I agree. But.... HT application could alter that and as always, the room could make a difference.

tc

Greg, hey, I'm fine ... Thanks for asking.

I spent the last few days down at the Skip Barber driving school in Lime Rock, CT. It was a gift from the wife and I thought I knew how to drive before getting there. Boy, was I wrong. But two days on the skid pad, autocross and emergency handling situations got me pointed back in the right direction.

I'm ready to face rush hour on 128 with a brand new perspective :)

Back to topic, the tweeters were the only part of the HF section on the very early KHs to be mounted vertically. The midranges were too big and I know one of PWK's design objectives was to make a folded horn speaker that would fit in the average living room. Making it 7' tall would have been a problem for most people :)

I think this comes down to a perception issue ... I believe the vertical orientation has audibly better imaging on the Cornwalls. I've owned both and paid the same for both. The 1985 CW I's I had were newer (obviously) and in better shape than my older CW II's, but having a choice, I went with the older models.

Just my $0.02 1.gif

----------------

On 10/4/2003 9:15:02 PM IB Slammin wrote:

PWK said " there is not a dimes worth of difference between the two". I agree.

----------------

Terry,

Of course, he said that back when a dime was really worth something!

fini

----------------

On 10/5/2003 11:47:03 AM fini wrote:

----------------

On 10/4/2003 9:15:02 PM IB Slammin wrote:

PWK said " there is not a dimes worth of difference between the two". I agree.

----------------

Terry,

Of course, he said that back when a dime was really worth something!

fini

----------------

fini,

Would that be about ten cents today?

tc

seems funny going down memory lane when you could mail a letter fur under a dime..make a phone call for a dime...buy candy for a dime....and white castle hambergers were 24 cents... I am getting old...LOL..

I forgot to say, my future HT project has three vertical Cornwalls for fronts, two horizontal for the rear, and Heresies for the sides.. 7.1 system...

So yes, if I should be clean and upfront about my biases and liking the Cornwalls, now you know why. I love the full range sound seemless across the front Left center and right speakers with the dynamics and full range sound especially with todays better soundtracks.

Fini, my only downside is that regular cable tv, depending on channel, really does not lokk good at all.. (About a 5-6 on a 1-10 scale.) Give me a digital channel or even better a HD Digital channel... (I have the Comcast HD Digital Box) When in focus, at 61", it is incredible. If it is not... Not so forgiving as a regular TV.

Monday night football, ESPN HD or the baseball playoffs in HD are just incredible... Last nights Auburn Tennessee game was for instance a 12 on a 1-10 scale i could see the pours with sweat running down their faces.... incredible.

For now.. Go CUBS, and hopefully I will get lucky to watch them some more!!

Sorry for the short answer but have to go to a meeting. I have posted more detailed info in the other cornwall threads that ran late last week.

I have had both style was NOT better in the case I had. The horiz were '80s and sounded better at low volumes. At higher volumes almost no detectable difference. The vert horns made no noticeable difference. I've had them for many years now.

I know I read different opinions on this, but those are my facts.

I have also said and do believe that the advantages of the vert orientation are limited to the the ability to lay them down. Laying them down I have found does change the sound characteristics. You can get more bass laying them down.

As far as imaging goes, I have REALLY tested the verts vs. horiz. over the years I had both. I ended up keeping the verts because my buddy wanted his '80 horiz. back. So I traded them back after I had them for around 10 years. Neither pair imaged any better than the other. In truth, my heresys image way better than either pair of corns I have had, and still have.

The verts never sounded quite as good, but are still excellent. As I have said before, they are excellent, but not as good as newer corns out there. I would never trade a pair of '80 horiz. for older alnico verts. No No No.

Sorry all you alnico fans. Just telling it like it is at my house.