Inexpensive projector?

Bruinsrme

bruinsrme, I don't know if you are serious or not about that black tape thing, so I'm going to say this anyways. That won't work.

As for the projector, 400:1 CR for a DLP seems very low for HT uses. Also at that price I would be a bit worried about rainbow effect. I know it's been blow WAY out of proportion, but some of the DLPs I have seen have made me physically sick when watching them. I think there are several other projectors that are equally priced that would be much more suited for HT use then this one. Also, I HIGHLY recommend getting a 16x9 projector, expecially if its primary use is for DVDs. I can live with black (okay, really really dark grey) borders on the sides while watching my crappy Cable TV feed. But, on a DVD I would find the black/dark greay borders above and below the image MUCH more distracting. I tried a 4x3 projector alot before I got my 16x9, and i'm REALLY happy with it!

-Dave

I just got the Infocus X1 recently and to me its amazing. I don't see rainbow effects at all and none of my friends can either so I don't know what all the fuss is about. If you buy it before the end of this month you can get it for 750 using the correct discount coupons. If needed I'll find them and send it to you. I would recommend looking into it atleast to see if you are bothered by rainbow effects or not.

I guess I will give a shout out to the InFocus LS 110. It's what I have, and it has one puuuuuuuuurdy image especially with a good screen. I'm telling ya, since I created my DIY Screen Goo screen, it's like I upgraded my projector. It really is amaizing just how much of a difference a good screen can make.

Find a business reason to come out here Scott... Find a training class that is only out here in Oregon. Intel has a million classes we both know it. Use that as an excuse so you can get a free trip out, come over and have a beer and watch a flick with me.1.gif

The Infocus X1 is an interesting unit thanks. Excuse my ignorance, but I suppose you must use them in conjunction with a HT PC of some sorts as I haven't got any SVGA outputs on any of my equipment... ? I very new to projectors... 1.gif

What other ones would you guys suggest for a budget system? ... How about a primer site?

Later...

Rob

Thanks i also stumbled across this on the Projector Central site posted earlier...

"This is handy if you want to use an RCA component video cable you already have to connect an RCA output to the VGA port. However you can accomplish the same thing with the X1 by ordering the adapter as an optional accessory, or buying an RCA to VGA cable and thus eliminating the problem."

So it's actually much simpler than I would have imagined... this has been a short but sooooo informative thread.

I won't be ready for a projector till I get several other projects out of the way... but when I do get around to building my dedicated room, it'll definitely be a projector like the inFocus X1 esp when comparing prices with a RPTV!

Rob