What are some of your favorite movie soundtracks?

Not a big soundtrack fan per se, but I am surprised no one mentioned O Brother Where Art Thou? which (seemingly) singlehandedly rekindled interest in bluegrass music, and inexplicably made a star out of the elderly Ralph Stanley. The Stanley Brothers' recording of "Rank Strangers" to me absolutely defines bluegrass to me, BTW.

I'd agree with 2001, except the sound quality of the MGM soundtrack was quite lousy (the original LP as well as a CD reissue I have). Find an RCA Red Seal of Reiner's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" instead. :-)

Having watched part of " Clockwork Orange" last night, I might also nominate that great Kubrick movie's soundtrack as well. I recall (assume?) that Walter (later, Wendy) Carlos did the "switched-on" versions of the classics in it.

Kubrick's ability to mesh music with his movies was unparalleled IMO. I remember that someone (Bernard Hermann?) composed an entire score for 2001 which Kubrick used as a working score until late in production, than axed for the inspired choice of music that appeared in the final film. The "original score" was released on record some years ago and was supposedly quite good. I couldn't find it in a quick perusal at allmusic.com, though.

OK... three more things, and I'll stop.

1) The original 2001 score was composed by Alex North. See:

http://www.mfiles.co.uk/Reviews/alex-norths-2001-a-space-odyssey.htm

2) Actually I have the "O Brother" soundtrack on vinyl as well. Saw it at Newbury Comics right after I finished building a Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp and thought it'd be nice to have a brand new record to test it with :-)

3) I am tempted to agree about the Tommy soundtrack. While the movie was ridiculosly self-indulgent (on Ken Russel's part, I assume), parts of the soundtrack I actually like quite a bit. Also, I am just curious if anyone here has any opinions about the somewhat earlier version of Tommy with the London Symphony and various soloists. I like parts of that, too...

ciao!

Vampyros Lesbos-The Vampires' Sound Incorporation

Baraka-Michael Stearns & various

Last Temptation Of Christ-Peter Gabriel

Twin Peaks-Angelo Badalamenti

Mulholland Drive-Angelo Badalamenti

The Straight Story-Angelo Badalamenti

Requiem For A Dream-Kronos Quartet

Paris, Texas-Ry Cooder

Chronos-Michael Stearns

Stalker(music inspired by the movie)-Lustmord/Robert Rich