Penny Saver Find!!!

garymd

As I scanned through my weekly pennysaver yesterday, I came across an ad "Monster Speakers - 2, Altec Lansing coffee table size with 18" horn and 15" woofer, $100/both." I immediately called of course and the guy lives 5 minutes from me and his name is also Gary. They are of course the Valencias. He bought them in '89.

He was shocked that anyone was interested but unfortunatly I was the 2nd call. The first guy gets a chance today at 5:00, otherwise they're mine. My guess is the first guy will be there on time with cash in hand. If not, I'll let you know how they sound with the scott. I wish I could just outbid the other guy but he may be thinking the same.

Wish me luck!

Can anybody produce a picture of these?

Gary, me thinks a three car garage is what you really need. Plenty of room in those things for stereo equipment. I will have to take a picture of my garage stereo components for you one day to show you were I store my "not ready for the house yet" supply.

No Bill. Still waiting to hear. He made it clear that I should stop calling. I guess I was becoming annoying.

I don't know what the efficiency rating on the valencias are. I suppose if I end up owning them I will do a lot more research. I'm trying not to get my hopes up however. There's probably less then a 10% chance I'll be the lucky buyer at $100. The 1st caller (beat me by 2 minutes) will no doubt show up.

Hello:

Make sure your watch is set to exact time. If you have an affiliation you possibly can get through your OEC, if not, the weather channel uses the time from the observatory.

You can get the number for the observatory clock from the United Staes general info number. Then set your watch and watch.

Win

----------------

On 10/10/2003 1:14:02 PM tillmbil wrote:

Good luck. Do not worry about the MC240, if it comes it comes. I have been watching E-Bay and Audiogon anyway. Maybe someone here has one they need to trade out. I seem to remember either Win or Allan had a few.

----------------

Bill,

The 240 is ready. The one person ahead of me has until Tuesday to decide if he wants it. They will call me by Tuesday COB to let me know of his decision. By Wednesday morning it may be yours. I'll email you Tuesday to let you know which of my Swiss bank accounts you need to wire money into.

2.gif

Nice audio setup. WAF=ZERO, sometimes its more fun that way, nice toys.

Gary, thanks for the heads up. I have an itch that I have to scratch, you know what I mean?

Swiss bank account??? I'll send a check from my closed account. Actually I use money orders, they are WAF proof.

Gary good luck man!

Reminds me of a penny saver find I had a few months back. The ad said something about Altec horn speakers for $125. It was really vague. I called him and he told me I was the 2nd caller. He said these were very big, grey in color and had "voice of the theater" stickers on the sides. He got them from a movie theater that had closed a few years back.

I drove the 2 miles to his house, met him, he opened the garage door and I saw them sitting in the middle of the floor. I was like ...WOW those ARE BIG ...as I tried to hold my joy inside! He said one horn didn't work so he priced them low.

I had a beer with him, paid him, he helped me load them in my truck and off I went!

The horn didn't work because the wire had simply come unplugged! I tired these things with every amp I had and still couldn't get the honking midrange to an acceptable level. It was like someone yelling in my ear with a bullhorn. No bass, little treble and MUCHO MIDRANGE. Definately PA speakers not made for my small 13x10 room. They turned out to be not exactly what I was looking for. For all the A-7 hype I had heard I was HUGELY disappointed. Yuck. 8.gif Here they are now.

P4140005.JPG

post-7446-138192497406_thumb.jpg

I may get these afterall. They are not valencias. They are santiagos. They may need grills but otherwise in good condition.

Can anyone tell me about these? I didn't find much except pictures on the web. They look similar to the valencias.

Thanks!!!