Altec Lansing Santiago

garymd

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guy. He says the grills are pretty dried out, otherwise very nice condition. I guess I'll find out how they sound tomorrow. Hopefully.

I'm not going to count my chickens yet but you'll get a good chuckle when I tell you how I'm possibly paying for them. I'll keep that to myself for now.

Does anyone know how the bass on the santiagos will compare to the heresys?

Right now I'm multitasking:

Posting on the forum

Watching the Cubbies

Listening to "Man Of LaMancha"

With loudness "on," which I rarely use on the MX110, the soundtrack sounds really great on the heresys.

Damn. Fla just tied it up.7.gif

Gary----Much better bass than Hereseys; deeper, louder, less distortion. Less efficient than a Heresy, the Santiago used Altec's new at the time sealed box 15" woofer. This driver gave up some efficiency compared to the Altec 416 but went deeper. The woofer was also used in the Barcelona, basically the same speaker as the Santiago but with a 500hz crossover instead of 800. The woofer was also used in some studio monitors.

Bass on these will be more Cornwall like, much more botom than Hersey

The altec 15's are well know for there sound ,some feel they are some of the best 15's made.

I have some old Altec 604b,s and they are a great speaker,bass should be very close in the

Santiago.

----------------

On 10/10/2003 8:48:38 PM garymd wrote:

Thanks Guy. He says the grills are pretty dried out, otherwise very nice condition. I guess I'll find out how they sound tomorrow. Hopefully.

I'm not going to count my chickens yet but you'll get a good chuckle when I tell you how I'm possibly paying for them. I'll keep that to myself for now.

----------------

I think it's quaint that you're paying for the speakers with farm animals, Gary! It's so "Little House on the Prairie!"

fini

----------------

On 10/11/2003 9:39:26 AM Bill H. wrote:

Gary, I hope your wife likes them,

though looking at the specs on these, it's scary how much better the newer speakers,i.e. klipsch were and are now..........

60 watts continued max power?.................jmho.

----------------

Bill,

Yeah, 60 watts seems low and they aren't very efficient. I believe it's the sealed enclosure. I still have my 320 watt kenwood in the basement just in case.2.gif I'm sure the mc240 has more than enough juice to make these scream.

No call yet though. I hope he's just a late sleeper.

Mark,

I was thinking the same but thought I'd let it go. It was just a number for comparison purposes anyway I think.

While I have you here, I'm a mild mannered kind of guy as you know but HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU GET A 6HU6 TUBE INTO AN MX110!!!!!!! I just spent 1/2 hour screwing with it and ultimitely ruining the tube. Fortunately they're only $7 but you need to be frickin Houdini to get it in without screwing something up.

I give up. I'll pay someone to do it next time. I'm not a happy camper right now. Plus this guy hasn't called yet.7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif

I did staighten the pins after the first round and managed to get the tube in place. It is the tuning eye and has to be lined up perfectly. The tube must be inserted, then the plug put on. If the tube is all the way in, there's not enough room to plug it in. It's hard to explain. Not much room to do any of this however. I thought I finally had it then when I tested it, only 1/2 of the eye was working plus I had to re-align the tuner. I guess it was a learning experience if nothing else. I didn't do any damage luckily but it was frustrating to say the least.

This was my first attempt at anything semi-difficult. I guess it just takes practice.

Well, it looks as though I will be the owner of these speakers but not for a few days. The current owner had a death in the family and will be away for a few days but assured me we had a deal.

He will be the proud owner of a pair of BO$E AM5s for his new apartment as trade.

I really hate to part with the BO$E as they were a gift I recieved about 15 years ago.2.gif Of course they are in mint condition since they haven't been used in 14 1/2 years.3.gif

Not farm animals Fini, but you see the similarity. They kind of sound like farm animals.6.gif Actually, the seller is pretty excited about getting his new apartment speakers. I saved him a trip to the mall and about $1,000.1.gif