RC-3 center - set to "small" or "large"? Your opinion please

belial

I finally got the RC-3 I had ordered as a replacement for the SC-1 I had previously and did not care for, and I am happy to say there is a definite improvement. I was planning on killing myself if I could not tell a difference. But--now I'm not sure how I should set the bass output for the center on my Yamaha reciever: "small," or "large"? I have my mains running through a KSW 12 subwoofer, and the center set to small, which means of course the bass is output to my mains, and thus the KSW 12.

Since the RC-3 has pretty good bass, should I just set it to "large"? How do the rest of you have your setup configured?

Yes, I will listen to both myself before making a decision, I was just curious to know what more experienced RC-3 owners thought.

I have a crappy Sony sub(I am not bashing Sony...its just an older smaller and lower model). When I set my center and rears to small the bass is very boomy and overpowering. So yes my settings are at Large and it sounds great!

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3

RC-3

Synergy Rear surounds

I have gone back and forth with mine, and have decided that for dialogue, small is the better setting. It sounds a little more clear in the vocal range. On the other hand, if it is an action sequence with more bass output, the large setting sounds a little better. With that in mind, I change my settings based on the type of movie I am watching.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

Thanks to everyone who responded ... I think I'm going to stick with the "small" setting, to let the center concentrate more on the mids and highs and let my woofer handle the rest. Right now though I'm ashamed to say it's actually hard for me to tell the difference when I switch from one to the other.

hi again,

Small Small Small. did I say Small!!!

Actually it depends on the rest of the HT system.

It only matters if your fronts have a lower frequency range or you have a sub ( I know you do have one Smile.gif )

The low's of the center would be redirected to your fronts or sub. Those two last one's can handle the low's much better than the RC-3. Try it. Put your favourite CD on and set your receiver on Pro-logic.

Play than with small - large setting on the center.

You will hear the difference.

It also depends on the cut-off frequency when set to small. Mine is 100 Hz and that is just fine sinds the RC-3 goes under that. So anything less that 100 Hz is redirected to the mains or sub.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

trying both settings is a good way to proceed. i would 'on paper' prefer the ctr set to 'large' in order to promote 'smoothness and uniformity of sound' as the sound travels l,c,r etc. i think the idea of using music is a good one, use something you are familiar with. i have 1 pr. klf 30's, and i have my c-7 ctr set to large. avman.

Wow!

I didn't realize there were so many on both sides of the spectrum here on this issue. Everything I've read points to keeping the center set to small, so you don't overwork the drivers for low bass. It's really a simple concept, if you want to be technically correct.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LD Player

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

if the center ch spkr is 'full range', then it, when properly balanced, should handle the bass signal w/o a problem. another way of looking Eyes.gif at it is: if 'small' sound is desireable, then why do so many of us have HUGE A** speakers?? Confused.gif avman.

this is another of those "tastes great" - "less filling" debates, kinda like the coax vs. optical cable.

frankly, i have never heard much dif as we're only talking the freq range of usually like a 80hz receiver bass mgmt cut-off down to the lower limits of the speaker like 65-75hz (using the rc-3 & c-7 specs).

if u really want low bass from the center, hook a sub into the center channel loop. but for ht, i think most sound engineers in their right mind don't put a lot of low bass in the center channel.

the case for small is if u have a good sub, let it handle the low bass while avoiding any overlap (cancelation, standing waves, muddy or boomy).

case for large is like in 5 channel stereo music one may prefer a fuller sound from the center and/or if they're using the sub for the crossover to avoid the bass overlap between sub & other speaks.

obviously lots of variables involved across both music & HT. w/ my set-up i go center small; no biggy though imho. biggest problem for me is what to set the fronts on, but don't want to get into that one. cwm12.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

• 2 weeks later...

Klipsch RF-3 Main

Klipsch RS-3 Rear

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch KSW-15 Sub

Onkyo 696 Receiver

Panasonic RP91N DVD Player

Toshiba 65H80 HD Rear Projector

Toshiba DST3000 HD STB

I currently have this set-up and I would like to know the best settings for my speakers. Considering I have the KSW-15 should I set them all to small and let the sub do the work?

Are my center and surround speakers officially small?

Thet are definitely larger that satellite speakers the I have had in the past.

Any help would be appreciated

Adjust,listen a few weeks,adjust,listen a few weeks, adjust.The correct setting is what sounds right for you.No one else matters,unless of course she's helping to pay for it! Have fun!

Keith