Advice for speakers

dgb

Almost landed a pair of Forte II for a great price, but have decided to wait and explore more options and save some more green, especially after reading all the great reviews on this site. Anyhow, give what I have, my space, budget and tastes, I'm fielding all opinions. :) I don't have a Klipsch dealer within 2.5 hours of my house (other than Best Buy). One north has heritage, one south has RF. Figures.

Old, new, used, any models are being condisered.

Price: $600-$1200 probably, depending on my patience.

Amp: Nak Ta-2a STASIS (amp only). 5w class A, 50w class a/b discrete circuitry (whatever that is, but I think it's good 2.gif). Presently runs KG4s at very loud volumes with little effort.

Pre: Carver C-1. No complaints so far, tons of inputs and ability run two amps.

Speaker: KG4. 3' from back wall, about 4' apart (Carver claims this is close to an ideal set up for the preamp). Room is 12 x 16, with throw carptes over vinyl covered concrete. They sound very good to me still, just lack somewhat in the midrange, and I'm kind of intersted in hearing what the new hi, mid tweets can do. Had em since they were new in 1990. Eyeing, Fortes II, Chorus II, RFs, KLFs, or Heresey II + sub. Reccomendations, especially with the power at hand. thx

I just picked up a pair of 1979 walnut khorns for $1200. My room is quite a bit smaller than yours but they seem to do OK in there.

If you want to stop all the future upgrading just grab a pair of Khorns and be done with it. I had herseys, cornwalls and now finally khorns.

Post a wanted ad in your newspaper ..."wanted klipsch speakers" and see what happens. That's basically what I did and it worked great.

Hello:

I have read of Busa's quest for excellence. Reading his post and recommendation - listen to what he says.

With me, I have two (2) pair of Cornwall IIs and am happy.

The thread? Klipsch, you won't go wrong. Watch AudiogoN, eBay, or take an ad - you'll find what pleases you.

Win dodger

Did you mention room size? Yep, with $1200 I would hold out for Cornwalls. They sound right up your alley. You did not mention music tastes. If its Rock, Blues or something similiar the Cornwalls are definitely the right way to go. I have Forte II's and they are great for around $400, but the Cornwalls are a bigger sound. Any Heritage line will work with your room size and amps.

Good hunting.

The room isn't as "big" as the dimensions really. The corners jut out about 2 feet in either direction (allowing a nice space behind the speaker, but not really allowing corner placement) and there is doorway almost smack in the corner, and I can't really place the speakers at the other end of the room since the stairs are there and it's a walkway into another room. Let's see if I can do this with dashers. :)

Room

/ /

-- --

SL SR Door

/

/

/

/

/

SEAT

walkway

STAIRS

Kinda funky.

SL SR are present speaker set ups.

Hello:

Seeing your layout, unless you build false corners for K-Horns, I echo Bill's advice.

The Cornwalls will do what you want and probably more. No corner placement needed.

It will be most likely a rush to find them and get the deposit or full payment down.

Enjoy,

Win dodger

Your Nakamichi amp is of excellent quality and sound. I also owned a C-1 preamp for 17 years without any failure...good choice. I would assume that Cornwalls, Fortes, and Chorus loudspeakers would all be great choices for your present system IMHO. I listen mostly to classical music (including pipe organ compositions), acoustic jazz and blues, and classic rock...all at high volume, and my Cornwalls are great for my musical choices.

Just my two cents worth...

It's exactly 4 feet from wall to SL, 4 feet to SR and 4 feet to the other wall.

I'm probably 8 feet from the speakers in the seat. Trust me, this is the ideal speaker placement for the room, I've been all over it. Too close to the corners really screws up the bass since one wall is concrete and the other is paneling on a wood frame. The imaging is also best from this set up. SO, this is why LaScalia's, Khorns, and probably even Cornwalls will be too big. The wife and I decided we are going to get this house set up the way we want it rather than move to a different house, so we'll be here for a long time. Another reason I was looking at the RF and KLF series is due to their slender nature. Forte Quartet and Chorus should also be fine. The upside is I get to totally redo my sound room soon.

Too bad tangents must suck, there's a pair of 500s not too far from me. Second pair of Tangents in a week.

The upside is I get to totally redo my sound room at some point.

----------------

On 10/22/2003 10:18:26 PM tillmbil wrote:

How far apart are the Sl and Sr? with a room that deep you need some side to side separation.
----------------

It's exactly 4 feet from wall to SL, 4 feet to SR and 4 feet to the other wall.

I'm probably 8 feet from the speakers in the seat. Trust me, this is the ideal speaker placement for the room, I've been all over it. Too close to the corners really screws up the bass since one wall is concrete and the other is paneling on a wood frame. The imaging is also best from this set up. SO, this is why LaScalia's, Khorns, and probably even Cornwalls will be too big. The wife and I decided we are going to get this house set up the way we want it rather than move to a different house, so we'll be here for a long time. Another reason I was looking at the RF and KLF series is due to their slender nature. Forte Quartet and Chorus should also be fine. The upside is I get to totally redo my sound room soon.

Too bad tangents must suck, there's a pair of 500s not too far from me. Second pair of Tangents in a week.

The upside is I get to totally redo my sound room at some point.

----------------

On 10/22/2003 10:18:26 PM tillmbil wrote:

How far apart are the Sl and Sr? with a room that deep you need some side to side separation.
----------------

Probably not buying til after CHristmas. Between that and some new furniture purchases I think the wife would rather me hold off for a while. Now why she'd rather a chouch than a kick *** pair of speakers I'll never know.
:)
Women.

----------------

On 10/22/2003 10:22:01 PM tillmbil wrote:

There is a Forum member selling a pair of Cornwalls for $750. They can easily be shipped for $250-350.
----------------

Forte also likes corners for the passive radiator. The right side may be soft on bass unless there is a door that can be closed. Generally, any Klipsch speaker with a rear facing bass device (port or radiator) will produce more powerful bass in a corner. I've found corners to be required for RF-7, Forte-II, and Chorus-II.

Foreward facing port is a safer bet.

leok

I have KG4s which have a rear firing radiator. They seem to do fine away from the corner. They have plenty of breathing room behind them.

----------------

On 10/23/2003 11:42:20 AM leok wrote:

Forte also likes corners for the passive radiator. The right side may be soft on bass unless there is a door that can be closed. Generally, any Klipsch speaker with a rear facing bass device (port or radiator) will produce more powerful bass in a corner. I've found corners to be required for RF-7, Forte-II, and Chorus-II.

Foreward facing port is a safer bet.

leok
----------------