Adire Tumult is at home!!!

fire pinch

So much of emotions that I cant even say how much happy I am! 9.gif I just received a big UPS package this afternoon and I could see on it 68 pounds! 6.gif So I took rapidly a knife, to cut nervously all the top of the package, at the point to cut my fingers! 14.gif Then I saw what was inside the box! 6.gif This is the first time Ive seen WOOD, which is used to make the woofer more protected during the transport! Normally you often see some stuffing materials, like foam particules, "bubble platic" (dont know how to say it!) but this time... no! A wood board screwed on 4 other cylindrical piece of woods which were around the woofer. Am I the only one who have seen this type of packaging? I wonder...

After unpacking the big carton box, I took out the woofer and OHHHHhhh 6.gif what a heavy one! Its weight shocked me compared to the Tempest, literally. And finally, what did I do after... puting the woofer on the enclosure I just made two days ago?? Noooo... and I doubt I will be able to do that before December. I must buy a QSC PLX Pro amp of 2400W to power it, and also, the passive radiators if I choose to make an enclosure with two other 18" holes. But more I think about it, more Im toward a sealed enclosure instead of going to the dark side! 12.gif My first goal with that new woofer was to place it in a small enclosure, way smaller than my Tempest one. More power? No... I was really satisfied of what the Tempest could do, beeing near 120 dB when pushed hard, at not the best location. So its why I think that a sealed Tumult could be good for me. I would have enough bass from a woofer which is able to displace so much air and also, superb transient response. But yeah, this is true... having more bass is still a good thing! 9.gif

For the moment, Im thinking of swapping the Tempest for the Tumult in the Tempest enclosure, just for the heck of it. I know that I wouldnt have more power but I think I would get better bass quality... but I dont know how would be the FR curve in a big enclosure like that, tuned to 18.8 Hz. Will have to find out before trying anything 4.gif

Finally, you know, there are not a lot of Tumult pictures on the web nowadays... so I thought about taking some for you. I took some pictures of that ubber beast with my superb MIND BLOWING 1.3 mpixel Intel PC camera lol! 3.gif The pictures are not excellent but they show you at least some other faces of that monster. They are in a JPG format anyway, so I cant do any miracles heh! If you dont see the pictures, I included them in the zip file attached to this topic...

Here we go 9.gif

Back_1.JPG

Back_2.JPG

Back_3.JPG

Back_4.JPG

Side_1.JPG

Side_2.JPG

Side_3.JPG

Front_1.JPG

Tumult1.zip

Haha! Those woodworking tools ARE sharped up but the amp isnt sharped... 14.gif Im still thinking a lot of what kind of enclosure I will choose for the Tumult. The amp will certainly be bought in one or two weeks. If I choose to go with a sealed box, then I think I will be able to be ready for early December, with a nice review! 2.gif I still would like a lot a PRed Tumult but the resulting size of the enclosure IS BUGGING ME! 7.gif

9.gif hahahaha!!!! You have a HUGE point l'oreille, I know this is very ridiculous. I should be more bashed for this!! 14.gif1.gif It's why I think for the moment to take out the Tempest woofer of the Tempest enclosure and to put the Tumult there, before having the amp. Sounds almost as ridiculous because of only 300W of power, but at least... hmm well, at least the woofer will be used a little 1.gif Im very very curious to know how much power I can get if I do that, with the micro 300W plate amp... certainly above 100 dB, but above 110dB? Im gonna expericence this tomarrow during my "foutre rien" time...

Frankie,

You took a good decison! 1.gif Theorically, you should get more outpout with two AV-15s compared to one Tumult. Because Ive never heard any XBL² subwoofers, and also because I dont really know how to really compare an XBL² sub against another one which doesnt feature any XBL² technology, I wonder how two AV-15 would compare against one Tumult in CLEAN output. Hard to say when you compare two woofers with a totally different motor structure technology. Still, for the cost you pay for two AV-15 + a powerfull amp, you really get a lot for your money, more than a Tumult sub Im sure. How much did you pay for your two AV-15 subs (amp or amps included) ?

YESSS lets start the RICE!!! But seriously, I really think you will win... just imagine, you have you enclosure ready! You just have to buy an amp and the same day all is ready and voilà! 9.gif Even if you receive your amp 3-4 days after I receive mine, I will have to take a chainsaw to cut the wood pannels fastly and to tape all the corners inside the enclosure with adhesive papers for air leaks in order to keep up with you! LOL! 9.gif

Pincette a Feu,

To be fair the Tempest looks like a POS(with all due respect) next to the almighty force of nature that is THE TUMULT.Damn I have to get those Acoustic Visions Pinnacle subs.6.gif9.gif

Long live the Tumult and RIP Tempest 2.gif

Woha imagine my BIG Krell used to drive the Everest 14.gif A knockout ear tearing device

Oréo,

Just give the Tempest the same style of 12 spokes frame than the Tumult, which is by the way like the one found in the AV-15 woofer and it would look like a better performer 2.gif If that was the case, would you consider it? If you say no... damn, its hard to beleive from you 9.gif Its like if Id say no for an SVS Ultra 4.gif I dont know but I find that the Tempest is really a benchmark for any other subwoofers out there for your money. Even more than an AV-15, because you dont need more than a 300-400W amp to be above 115 dB (depends of the room but in general, you can have this) from 20 Hz and up! 1.gif Not that an AV-15 sub with a good amp perform less than a Tempest sub, the AV-15 is just a better woofer. An AV-15 alone offer you more bang for the buck, but when you think about the amp too, this is not the same thing anymore... Please, if you find a better woofer+amp for the money, tell me, Id like to know 1.gif You oreille are too rude with the Tempest, cmon! 1.gif You'd be surprised to know how it can perform... I invite you to come to my house hearing it, your not to far away from me? 3.gif Moreover, Id be very happy to know you in person 9.gif

I have to admit that I'm a su¢ker for a pretty woofer too... and like cast baskets even though I know that there is little chance that they will affect the sound. The tempest is really a driver designed to perform at a very low cost point... all go and no show. Kinda like a "sleeper" muscle car.

The tumult is a "cost is almost no object" driver. The paper cone looks really nice, as metallic cones are a little tooo flashy for me... 4.gif I know I have one.

Rob

Pincette a Feu,

"You'd be surprised to know how it can perform... I invite you to come to my house hearing it, your not to far away from me?"

The invitation is welcome,well do you live in Montreal?If yes then I can drop in for a listen.

I live not too far from vendome metro,if this tells you anything.Anyway looking forward to more info.I'll send you a PM when I get home,at work now!Yes still at work,damn.Build 6 big PC's today!

Michael,

9.gif heh! Thanx a lot for this comment! I wish I could take better quality pictures, but this is all what I can do with my Intel PC Camera 14.gif And for the reason why I bought that Tumult... firstly to have a smaller subwoofer. But also... I cant hide, this is true also that more bass, more headroom is always welcome 3.gif But the Tempest really satisfy me in bass power, and I figured out that later, if I build another one, this is possible to make a smaller enclosure for that woofer, even when ported. The proof that Im satisfied with the Tempest is that I wanna go SEALED for the Tumult this time. Im really sure that this woofer and 2400W of power can displace enough of air to make me satsfied for at least during the time I wait before buying the passive radiators and to make another enclosure 2.gif

Ear,

Hmm I thought you knew where I lived and in fact, Im not NEAR you but not far either 1.gif Im in the Quebec city. I dont know this time, after saying this if you will be more affraid of the distance between us 4.gif