OT: King Crimson-- Love em or hate em?

arthurs

In the Court of the Crimson King was one of the big time "theme" albums of the early '70s. It is kinda "jazz" and psychodelia (Sp?, drain bamage from listening to it too much. Smile.) As Bob G. said of the Moody Blues, some of this stuff got over reaching. OTOH, it has its charms especially against the undemanding standards of some recent music.

I read that the original master tape of CotCK was lost. So maybe what we get on CD was a good transfer from a piece of vinyl. Pretty impressive but you can hear some noise in quiet passages. Maybe it is tape noise faithfully reproduced on the vinyl and then CD. This is all speculation.

People say good things about Larks Tongue in Aspic. I'll have to buy it soon.

It may be that the membership of the band changed over the years and thus recent stuff is quite different.

Gil

Robert Fripp is a genius. Crazy, but a genius none the less. Adrian Belew falls in the same category. Theyre very talented and have created some pretty interesting music over the years. Both are considered as being a musicians musician. Theyre out there for those of us who are Out there if you get my drift.9.gif In the Court of the Crimson King with Greg Lake and Ian McDonald on keyboards and sax. Wow! Now thats going way back. Great stuff though.

Arthur

They are one of my ALL TIME favorite bands.

Put me down for LOVE THEM.

I too have found most people love them or hate them. Most of my friends who love them are musicians themselves and can appreciate the levil of tallent that is in this band.

I also love the other music put out by the current and past members of the band. I love everything Adrian Belew has put out - Well most of what he has done anyway. Tony Levin - A BASS GOD. In 2000 or 2001 another project group he is in Bozzio, Levin and Stevens put out a CD called Situation Dangerous that has a sound I would describe of taking a '70's power trio making a modern sound. It is excelent. Bill Bruford - "When in doubt ROLL" - anything he does is gold to my ears. His current Earthworks band's jazzish sound is great.

There live DVD from a late 90's concert is great and a must have for any Crimson lover. I can't remember the name, think its Deja VROOM maybe. Besides having a GREAT DTS track, the first track on side one has 7 angles. Angle one is standard concert film. Angle 2-7 selects a band member and keeps camera focus as well as puts there sound on the center channel. Nice use of technology.

There comming to Chicago in a week or so, will probably be there.

JM

The first thing I ever heard on a stereo (as opposed to a record player) was Brain Salad Surgury when I was a freshman in college. That was what me started on this whole audio thing. Next album I bought was Tarkus. Wan't until years later I bought CotCK and then only because I new it was the band Greg Lake had been in prior to ELP. Found out CotCK was grandaddy of Tarkus - lot of lyrics lifted unmodified... check out Epitap...

The wall on which the prophets wrote

Is cracking at the seams.

Upon the instruments of death

The sunlight brightly gleams.

When every man is torn apart

With nightmares and with dreams,

Will no one lay the laurel wreath

As silence drowns the screams.

Between the iron gates of fate,

The seeds of time were sown,

And watered by the deeds of those

Who know and who are known;

Knowledge is a deadly friend

When no one sets the rules.

The fate of all mankind I see

Is in the hands of fools.

Confusion will be my epitaph.

As I crawl a cracked and broken path

If we make it we can all sit back -

And laugh.

But I fear tomorrow Ill be crying,

Yes I fear tomorrow Ill be crying.

CotCK immediately replaced all ELP albums as my favorite. Still listen to it occationally, and here we are nearly 30 years later.

The CD version of "Court" I have is on Caroline (CAR 1502-2), which appears to be a subsidiary of Virgin Records. According to the liner notes, this "30th" Anniversary Edition" is a 24 bit remaster by Simon Heyworth, Robert Fripp and David Singleton, done on 8/3/99. This was an import, though I got it at Border's. Other 24 bit re-masters from Caroline include (or included - don't know if Caroline is still available) "In the Wake of Poseidon," "Lizard," and "Islands." Caroline also has a bunch of other KC titles, presumably not re-mastered. I haven't tried it, but the notes give a web site address as www.caroline.com/caroline/crimson.

As to the music - well, for me KC is a guilty pleasure. It's arty, overblown, and pretentious - but on occasion nothing else will quite do. And in these days of cookie-cutter groups, it's somehow refreshing to hear a band that doesn't sound like anyone else. They sound just fine on my Forte's.

I like KC quite a bit, probably have a dozen CD/LP.

Red is my favorite, then Larks Tounge In Aspic and Starless and Bible Black. In the Court and Wake of Posieden are good, but a little too "sixties" if you know what I mean. The Larks Tounge lineup is the classic King Crimson for me, Fripp, Wetton and Buford. (David Cross too) with the Fripp, Belew, Levin, Buford lineup a very close second (Discipline, 3 of A Perfect pair).

KC is the Anti-Yes. Yes generally was very upbeat, very joyus songs whereas KC is very dark, heavy and oppressive.

But, Genesis is still my favorite "Prog" band by quite a margin.

Love them. One of my favorites...

Absent lovers..the 84 live concert released in 98 I believe...awesome.

The trio of Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair....great.

Going to see them Nov 7th here in STL at a great little venue called the Pageant.

"..And if Warhol's a genius

What am I?

A spec of dirt, on the wing of a fly.

Hurtling to earth, through a hole in the sky..."