Academy sells on ebay for $635.00 why?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was trying to buy the academy center channel on ebay today, i was hooked in to auctionsniper and when the bidding got to 600 plus i immediatly rebid up to over 700.oo

i than started to think, i paid 800 for 2 cornwall delivered, 700 for 2 chorus delivered, 400 for heresy I delivered and 400 for heresy II delivered...i must be crazy to pay this much for a academy center channel...what do you think..as i already have my heresy I's hooked into my front center and the heresy II's 1 for side i for rear center(am i nuts to spend this much?) i canceled my bid and thought, let the sucker buy it, for less than 200 more i can buy another pair of cornwall, or approx. sme price another pair of cjhorus and it would blow the academy away....am i right in this thought process?

also by buying another pair, i could use just 1 in fron, and 1 in back

thanks in advance smilin9.gif10.gif6.gif price to high

klipsh rocks my night/makes my day better too

You have applied sound logic, I totally agree. Yur best bet is to try and locate an Academy elsewhere other than eBay or Audiogon. It is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I use a La Scala for a center and have no desire for an Academy, I did use a KV-4 prior to the La Scala and it was nice, but its not a La Scala.

I managed to get a black one on eBay for $400, which is in fact the lowest I've seen since I started watching. I have to say it matches the sensitivity and timbre of the Fortes very well. I'm quite happy with it. But would I have spent more? Not without trying something like an RC center (or a pair of Heresys) first.

Unfortunately, the demand on eBay is going to drive up the price elsewhere. (BTW, note that the winning bidder bid *over* $635 yesterday and stood up to all the last-minute snipe attempts today. Your $700 bid might not have won!)

So given that they command this much $$, why isn't Klipsch making them? I'd love to switch to Oak for $400.

----------------

On 10/29/2003 2:11:38 PM DMF wrote:

----------------

I'll trade you my oak academy for you black academy + $400.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

Actually, the plan is:

1) Buy oak Academy for $400

2) Sell black Academy on eBay

3) Profit!!!

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

Scooterbug you want to make me a couple those speakers? ill pay for the effort. thanks steve smilin

plus i can ship you parts if you need!!!

let me KNOW thanks9.gif10.gif

Huskie,

Yes I built the enclosure myself as have other on this BB. This was not as easy as I thought when I first started to consider the project. I put about 30 hours of design time in just making sure I had the correct volume based on the drivers I was using, type of material, and crossover. Making sure I would end up with a pleasing sound was a challange. It would be nice to think one could just build a rectangular box and have it work right. My goal was to build a center that would compliment the sound quality and SPL of my La Scala's. Since I really don't have room for a center La Scala this was the route I choose. Attached is one of the photo's before drivers where installed. It also provides a good look at some of the internal bracing.

Scooterdog

post-8797-138192499285_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 10/29/2003 3:56:06 PM smilin wrote:

Scooterbug you want to make me a couple those speakers? ill pay for the effort. thanks steve smilin

plus i can ship you parts if you need!!!

----------------

If you'd honestly like an Academy made, don (digjr) was looking if anyone was interested in having one made in the to build an Academy thread. From what i've seen, he is an excellent woodworker...

Rob

I second that (Don - Digjr) can certainly build you an Academy to exacting specs. He has built scaled down Belle's and Khorn's so an Academy probably won't even be a challenge for him. The parts and components for the Academy alone from Klipsch run into the $360+ range and he said he could put one together for between $450-$500 and he can finish it in the veneer of your choice. Bottom line is you would have a brand spanking new Academy for less than a used one sells for on eBay. I am sure he could build you a 3-way center as well but he will need some assistance in the configuration of the crossover. He does beautiful work without a doubt, very skilled with wood!