can't wait to get my HF-81 back

Daddy Dee

Gotta agree with Ryan on the cap answer.

There's a whole world of info on caps out on the web, it takes time to digest. And of course with everything audio, there's snake oil, too.

I try not to take chances with old electrolytics that have sat for a long time. Even if they function for a while, under a good load they can blow and you can kiss some expensive downstream components goodbye.

Caps are much smaller now. In some of the lower uf values you can find film caps small enough to fit as substitutes for electrolytics. I subbed some out on a Marantz 2220b (along with fast diodes) and the improvement was dramatic.

I might replace the mylars, too, but that's just me. Every rebuild kit I've seen for old stuff (i.e. Fisherdoc) includes new ones at least for coupling and other high voltage spots.

Never substitute a lower voltage rating, though it's okay to go up. Sometimes I've doubled the voltage rating AND the uf value in a circuit with a physically smaller modern cap. ERO makes a 1uf 63v film cap that is as small as the 1uf 16v electrolytics you'll find in a '70s Marantz.

----------------

On 11/2/2003 10:19:56 AM DeanG wrote:

Hey, Ohio is only a hop-skip-and jump away from just about anywhere. The more people in the room the better. My RF-7's are probably going to sound like tin in that cathedral.

----------------

Dean,

I had the RF3II's, I can say your 7's will not sound thin. You'll hear some tight rockin slammin bass over the Heritage el natural rolling nature. Both sound good to my ears.

Tom

Hey Ryan,

The HH Scott website discusses how some of their kits were "factory wired" as opposed to requiring complete assembly. Others did require complete assembly. That's why I asked that question. I have also seen it mentioned in various places I have found Scott kits for sale. Sellers will specifically say that it was a "factory wired" kit. Maybe it's all BS. I wasn't even a twinkle in the old man's eyes in the 50s, so I wouldn't know.

OK, you can keep all your kits for yourself I guess. I hope you get to assemble them on some rainy day. Enjoy.8.gif