Bass - SF-2 vs. RF3 vs. RF-35

KeesGuy

Dean

I understand now! as Audio Flynn says, it is the music you listen, not the squaker. The RF-7's have a hole in the mids (oops, I hope no one takes this as an ugly comment, Im not saying they are bad speakers nor I dont like them nor the owners are crap 3.gif) the frequency graphs I have seen show that. I think is obvious why you like them with that kind of music, is like equalizing without the use of an eq.

Anyway, the Heresy is almost completly flat in all the spectrum, it have a small bump at about 5Khz to about 7Khz, flat otherwise, then a strong roll off that begins at about 16Hz, but their mids are flatter, and to my ears almost "perfect" so to speak.

Audio Flynn

Yes! a sub in a two channel system 2.gif its the only way to enjoy big orchestral works, without the strong bass at and below 30Hz its like hearing the orchestra in an AM small table radio14.gif

Dean,

Do not tell me I stumped you with a one liner !! I think your music will sound fine just not with me in the room 2.gif It really sounds darn good on Heritage if they would learn to record the song at a reasonably constant volume. The mellower passages just beg you to turn them up and then they start blasting there dam picks across the strings and pump those darn distortion contraptions and all at about 20db louder then 2 seconds before !! Its annoying as hell !

Craig

I'm getting chest pains.

Manuel, I would love to see the frequency response plot for the RF-7's and that big hole in the middle! What you are in fact seeing is the small dip in the crossover region where the horn takes over.

If you guys go back and read John Warren's comments in the link I provided, you'll find out why those lenses can't handle my music.

DeanG

A couple of graphs, if I recall it well there were two revies) should be in the forums, maybe a year a go or something like that they were posted.

Its not a great dip, but still is there and substracting around -3dB at those frequencies might explain the differences (well, maybe not all) between RF-7's and Heritage.

As for the link, I can't open it, can you post it again?

"Compared to other components of professional sound systems (omitting free propagation distortion), horn drivers have the worst nonlinear distortion. Some of the drivers distortions can be mitigated by proper mechanical measures. However, distortions caused by nonlinear air compression and propagation are inherent to any horn driver."

Isn't that what all of this is -- just opinions?

While direct radiators suffer from high IMD, the sound in the throat of a lens can bunch up and push out loads of HD. To me, it's just a matter of picking the poison that's the easiest to live with -- with the music you like to listen to. I'm not an advocate of the idea that all good speakers sound great with all material. Some definitely shine with some material, and struggle with others.

I do think where Heritage probably walks all over Reference is in the bass. Horn loading the bass is definitely the way to go, but I think big Heritage would do so much better if Klipsch used a 2" throat, and went with Tractrix lenses. Of couse this is interesting, because this is how their Pro-style products are designed.

To answer Dean and Flynn's questions a ways back:

I have two receivers which I kind of rotate depending on the mood:

1. Nad 7100 - 60 wpc and lots of headroom (like having the remote)

2. A vintage McIntosh 1700 - rated 30 wpc if I remember correctly. (I truly think it sounds better than the NAD with both the Maggies I had and the Klipsch)

I've also thought about to going to tubes maybe in the future with a Jolida integrated, vintage Scott 299 or ???. Anyway, that's then and this is now.

Right now the speaker budget is around $1000. Right between the RF-35 and RF-5. I suppose used Heresy's would be cheaper yet but I'd need a sub no doubt. Curiously, $1000 is also close to a used set of Maggie 1.6's which I still really don't have the ideal room for but really like 2.gif Of course with the 1.6's, I'd likely need a bigger amp. That's enough - I starting to give myself a headache!!14.gif

I used to run the Magnepan 1.5/QRs, and nothing less than a quality 200wpc would get it. Believe it or not, my 1.5s were displaced by the diminutive RB-5s. My son and myself had them sitting side by side, and through the course of the evening the scales started slowly tipping in favor of the RB-5's. By the end of the night, the Maggies were rolled clear out of the way.

There just isn't any substitute for dynamics.

Get the RF-35's -- at least you won't be bored with them in six months, and you can use either amp you have.

"then they start blasting there dam picks across the strings and pump those darn distortion contraptions and all at about 20db louder then 2 seconds before !! Its annoying as hell !"

Sheesh! Sounds like sumthin' my old man would say!2.gif

Though I totally agree, the Heritage shine on mellow material.

Some thrash sounds good some doesn't, depends on the recording.

A re-biased SS amp will sound better than having the transisssstors drifted off everywhere, I found that out last night.

I have not heard the RF-35.

I had heard almost all of the previous Reference line. It should be nice.

The RF-5 and RF-7 "dip" phonomena I have heard demonstrated a few times; it is not nasty but you can find it under comparrisons to other speakers and the right music software.

-------------------

My RB-5s are mated to a Adire Audio Rava sub. It was $ 399. A sealed cabinet front firing 12 that sounds like a M&K for less than half the price.

IMHO Sealed front firing subs are a bit firmer than ported subs.

------------------

It is hard enough fitting the pair of ChorusII in the room; no good place for a sub.

Maybe bass shakers in the couch.2.gif

----------------

On 11/1/2003 10:07:50 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Manuel,

You have been around the block on the forum so you are open to be messed with just a bit.

Sub in 2 channel.

Sacreligious!

-------------------

Dean,

I make Craig listen to weird accoustic stuff before I pay him. It aint wild metal to validate the sound.

The squaker is telling you this music is rough.

Although you may like it.

Since I am local I do not have to pay Craig for my mods sight unseen. If karen does not like it she does not pay.

Amps are fine.

Checks are cheerfully post dated.

I do have a lose 3/4 round molding on one of my windows I noticed.

My son will fiix it; he likes Craig too and he does not even like "Life" cereal.

----------------

I don't see whats wrong with usinmg a subwoofer in a 2 channel set up. I use an RSW-15 with my RF-5's and I think the combination sounds way better than with only the rf-5's. They don't have near enough power and authority to belt out the low pipe organ notes, sure, you can say "how often do you listen to pipe organ music?" I and to that I say not too often, but when I listen to music that is truely amazing, but my system can't play it how it's supposed to sound I just get pissed off!

but back on topic, I haven't heard the RF-35's, but I own the RF-5's which use the same woofers. The cabnits are different (the RF-5 cabnit is tuned a bit lower) but on their own, for most music they have a realistic amount of bass. you won't win any kind of contests, but for jazz and classical especially, it is a perfect amount when the equalizer is set to neutral.

I think my next step will be to try the RF-35's in my home and I'll directly compare them to the SF-2's. I'd do this in the store but they don't carry both lines anymore since the BB deal. The dealer will let me take them over the weekend so possibly that's what I'll do this coming Saturday. If I do - I'll let you know my findings. Wish me luck!!

Thanks again!!