I'm speaker dumb. HELP!!!

tomasdelsol

Hi, I have to let you know that I am a noob when it comes to sound systems. I know Klipsch are the best speakers you can buy (or so I have been told), but since I have a limited knowledge about speakers, could somebody direct me on a hypothetical purchase. I want to buy a full set of speakers for a surround sound system. Maybe a suggestion of the very best Klipsch has to offer, followed by a second best scenario.

I'm not sure what reciever to get either. Best Buy has a nice one: It is a Yamaha 600-Watt 6.1-Channel Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater Receiver. It sounds like it would do the trick, but I am definately open for suggestions here as well. I want to build my home theater system around a 60" Sony Grand Wega II LCD rear projection hdtv.

Also, would it be worth the money to buy the monster speaker wire and such. I know monster cables are the way to go with video, but I have no experience with audio. Any other suggestions related to these questions are welcome as well. Thanks in advance!

Tommy

It doesn't seem like you're on a tight budget as far as price / size / room.

Still, those are the typical constrains. Suggestions are pretty much a shot in the dark without your input after careful consideration.

Naturally, most of us wouldn't be on this forum unless we had a good appreciation of Klipsch.

It may be that you could take a look at your requirements and tally up components for a Reference system. See product on the main web site. Check a dealer for prices.

On the other hand, many here consider the Heritage line, with K-Horns and Belles would be the very ultimate. This will be very much more expensive unless you go to the used market, and even then, not cheap.

I don't believe in expensive wire. Also I can't give much advice on HT amps.

Gil

Yeah, You're going to have to give us more help with size and budget.

The ultimate Klipsch HT would be WAY past $25,000 for six K-horns, false corners for 2 and a couple of hairy subwoofers. A system that good could not be insulted by using a receiver, so add $10k for electronics. Your room should be BIIG for this system, too, say, 25' x 35' or more.

I'm guessing you have a typical room and budget. We listened to, I think, an RF-35 system with all Rx-35 components and an RW-12 sub when we were in Indy. It really knocks your socks off! It was $3500 for 5.1, or maybe 6.1.

RF-5s and -7s go up in price and RF-15s and -25s go down.

I am a Heritage fan and usually prefer the old designs like the K-horn, Belle, La Scala and Heresy. FYI, 6 Heresy IIs and an RSW-12 should be about $8k and would sound real to the point of being hard to describe.

In approximate order of cost (and sound), I'd look at Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, NAD and B&K receivers. The cost range is from $500 to $5000 here, depending on features.

Look on the Klipsch.com web page for a dealer locator. You will have to travel to a large city to hear the Heritage line. Alternately, some of us may be willing to show off our systems for you. The Reference line will be available in a fair number of quality retailers. The Synergy series (lower priced that what I've discussed) is available at Best Buys, etc.

Thank you guys for the info. I was not aware that speakers can be sooo expensive. At the moment I am simply dreaming. I will be out of school in about a year with a decent paying job, so I plan to start building my system after that. So I'm not exactly sure what the room dimensions will be after I move to a new job. I will definately continue to monitor these forums to learn more about speakers so I can make an informed purchase. Thanks again for taking the time to post your opinions for me!

Tommy

Hello Tommy - UCA student?

I like to chime in on this for a couple of reasons:

First - be sure to audition some and just as you are ready to decide, audition some more. I believe that speakers are your most important decision in setting up a sound system and they have, if chosen correctly, a longer life than any other part of your system. Good money on good Loudspeakers is rarely wasted. You need to be sure that the horn sound is right for you as well.

Second - If klipsch is your choice, your budget may appreciate the used market. Especially if you prefer the three way sound. If you find the two way to your liking, think about having the top reference towers - an outstanding value (IMHO) in the marketplace when compared with other similarly priced speakers.

Third - in all cases, in a different opinion than some here, if the speakers are going to be used with HT stuff as well, even if you get corner horns I suggest a very good quality subwoofer. Failing that for several years, I was tremendously impressed when a good sub was added to my system - one of those 'why didn't I do this in the first place" revelations.

Enough advice for one day...

----------------

On 11/4/2003 2:37:10 AM ricktate wrote:

i see you live in AR. so you should go with Heritage,,,lol....rick

----------------

Rick, I noticed this, too. I also wonder if Klipsch speakers are all over Arkansas, hiding out in ex-employees' (and friends and families of Klipsch employees') houses and barns, like sonic wildflowers, a part of the landscape unnoticed by locals. I think they probably do know what they've got...

fini

Hi,

No, I'm not a UCA student, but my wife is (Physical Therapy). I am attending UAMS Dental Hygiene program. ;-)

I have heard some similar advice to the tune that the sound really makes the biggest HT difference. Since I see this theme seems to ring true, I will surely research this matter more before making a purchase. Thanks for your advice.

tommy

Hi,

I'm sure I would laugh at the joke about the heritage speakers and me being from Arkansas, but I'm not really sure what it means?? I think it may be over my head because I don't really know anything about the heritage line. I do know that Klipsch speakers are made in Hope, AR. I also know an employee at that particular site in Hope, and yes, he has a KILLER HT system!! By the way, I like the "sonic wildflower" touch, very nice. 2.gif

tommy

Hey tommy -

Like many here, I'm very partial to the Klipsch sound and have been for almost 24 years now. Additionally, I'm partial to the Heritage line/sound; however, I really like the sound produced by the RF7. Anyhow...

When you read a post about a "Heritage" speaker, we're referring to that line of speaker that Klipsch originally designed and produced - some of which are still being produced today. The typical Heritage models you will hear us talking about are the Klipschorn, Belle, LaScala, Heresy, and Cornwall. Of these, only the Cornwall (dammit) is no longer in production. The Heritage speakers have a sound that shares some semblance to the Reference line, but IMHO is a unique sound altogether.

Ok...here's my .02 worth about speakers. No two ears hear the same thing. Therefore, it's almost impossible for me (or anyone else for that matter) to tell you what to buy. My advice is to take this period of time in your life to educate yourself about speaker terminology and then listen, listen, listen. After that, listen some more. 1.gif I mean, it just may turn out that there are some speakers whose sound you prefer over Klipsch. Of course, you'll be wrong and we'll ban you forever from this forum. Just kiddin', just kiddin'. 9.gif

As for recievers...you really need to establish a price point you're willing to spend. From there look at the various manufacturers mentioned above. I think you'll find that at a given price point, all the manufacturers have models that are very close in features & performance. One company I'd add to the list is Outlaw Audio. They're an internet only sales company and while I've not personally heard their products, they always seemed to get great reviews. Me? I've got a Denon and am very happy with it.

Good luck. Your journey is just beginning. Just follow the yellow brick road. 1.gif

Tom

Hey man your in luck. I see that you live in Conway, Ar. I work and Audio Express here in Conway and we care the whole line of Klipsch speakers. I would be more than happy to meet with you and let you listen to a could of packages we have set up. We also carry the full line of yamaha recivers. so if you want I can meet with you. call me at 952-7451 and ask for David

Yes,

Homer Simpson drool indeed!!

I visited Audio Express in Conway yesterday and listened to the Klipsch HT in their demo room. WOW! Those babies are impressive. They played the Lion King for a demo. There was a part when a herd of elephants are walking up over a hill, and you could almost actually feel them thundering up the otherside of the hill before they even topped it and came into view! I think they had the RSW 10 (??) playing. They also had the RSW 15 in the room, but I didn't get a chance to feel it! I think I've decided that the RF 7's are the way to go. Now the saving begins, along with justifying to the wife spending thousands of dollars on speakers (not to mention thousands more on an amp and hdtv set!!). 3.gif I'm sure I can sweet talk her though.2.gif