Oh boy Oh boy - ITS HERE!!

skonopa

Yes, my B&K Reference 200.7 amp is finally here, and boy is she a beauty! OMG, does it sound sweet! I cannot belive the shear clarity and smoothness of the sound. It does seem to have a neutral to warm sound, you guys are right - it just seemed the B&K was made for my Klipsch! It just seemed my Klipsch just opened right up and let all the music out! I cannot believe how effortlessly it seems to drive those speakers. I can definitly tell the bass has much more authority and punch (certainly helped by the REL). This weekend, I'll have to try a movie (Lets, see, Lord of the Rings:The Two Towers, or The Matrix: Reloaded?) BTW, I am using my Denon AVR3802 as a pre/pro, plus I still have one set of the surrounds hooked up to it (the RS-7s, which are now designated the 'B' surrounds. Got the RF-5s hooked up as the 'A' surrounds through the B&K)

Lets go on a photo tour, shall we: 9.gif

box1.jpg

Ahh yes, 1 B&K Reference 200.7 amp + 3 pairs of Monster M850i cables = audio goodness! Yep, the top of the line when it comes to B&K 9.gif Actually, two of the pairs are M350i, which the dealer is letting me borrow until the missing two pairs of M850i finally come in.)

unpacking.jpg

Unpacking the beast.

unpacked.jpg

Finally got that damn thing unpacked! The friggan thing wieghts nearly 80 pounds, so it is not exactly easy to get it out of the box

rear-panel.jpg

The rear panel. Seven channels at 200 watts/channel. It even has balanced inputs. Any advantage to using those when I upgrade the pre/pro in the future?

in-rack.jpg

Here is its new home, snuggly in the lower part of my big wall unit (Ohhh, look at that! It is even THX Ultra certified - well, ain't that soooo speeeiiiaacial! 9.gif )

snake-den.jpg

Just what I need! More cables to add to the "snake-den" behind my wall-unit (I really need to do something about that. 6.gif)

Granted, it may not be Krell or even Bryston, but hey, with my champagn dreams and beer budget, I'll be more than happy to settle for a Corvette instead of a Ferrari.

Also to add: You should've heard the comments I was gettting from nearly the entire staff at the local Tweeter when I came in to pick that up. "Dude, I so envy you!" "Man, you gotta be lovin' it!", and so forth. There were all just oogling over it. I'll have to invite them over to hear my setup 10.gif. Hell, they only have the 200.5 (the 5-channel version) on the floor hooked up to some Martin-Logans! I am sorry, but this thing hooked up to my Klipsch, in my opinion, sounds better than the Martin-Logans - yes, even the big $4,000/pair ones.

That is one sweet amp. B&K's do run warm, but it looks like there's enough clearance above it. When I bought my Parasound, I was amazed at how much more headroom my Yamaha 2095 had. I used it that way for about a year until I found a deal on a B&K Ref30. I was impressed again with my system with this new set-up. B&K makes some fine equipment. Congrats.

Looks great, nice purchase. Snakes den, yikes. I hope you never have to move that thing. My wife wants new carpet in the theater room. She has no idea does she? My system uses a Yamaha RXV-992 as a base unit and all the speakers run off separate amps so it looks similiar but not as bad as yours.

----------------

On 11/14/2003 7:45:08 AM Flason wrote:

That is one sweet amp. B&K's do run warm, but it looks like there's enough clearance above it.

----------------

The manual recommends at least 6 inches of clearance above the the unit. That is certainly more than 6 inches 1.gif. I lowered that shelf down to its lowest position to make sure I had plenty of room and clearance for the amp.

----------------

On 11/14/2003 8:45:06 AM tillmbil wrote:

Looks great, nice purchase. Snakes den, yikes. I hope you never have to move that thing.

----------------

Yeah, I know 14.gif The problem is that room is in desperate need of a good repainting and that carpet is in desperate need of a good thorough steam cleaning (at least one of my good friends here has a really nice carpet steam cleaning machine that he'll let me borrow). The thought of having to take all that down to do so is not something I am looking forward to, but it is a project that I am going to attempt in the spring time, after the skiing season is over.

Not only that, but that wall unit I have everything mounted in weights a friggan ton in of itself, let alone with all that equipment and TV in it. You should've seen the fun we had trying to move that thing out of my apartment when I moved out. Ended up having to take it completely apart to move it. 14.gif What a major PITA! Maybe when I go repaint the room, it'll also be a good time to consider getting some nice new racks for everything, especially since I'd like to eventually get a big-screen HDTV, and one won't fit in that wall unit anyway.

I spent more then a few sleepless nights trying to decide between that amp and the McIntosh six channel amp that I bought. I wish we could compare them.

Funny, well not really, but I too need new carpet. It should have been replaced years ago, but I don't want to move everything out of the room.

Guest Anonymous

Steve,

Man oh man, I'm so happy for you, B & K works wonder with klipsch, and I know!!! I use the B&K 507 AVR 7 X 170 WPC and I love it. May you have noththing but happiness and great listening pleasure9.gif If you want you r sub to rock make sure you set all your speaker on smale with the lfe. Happy movies fabulous music hello headroom hear the dbs, feel the music have a great time!!!!

Smilin

----------------

On 11/14/2003 2:10:27 PM Q-Man wrote:

I spent more then a few sleepless nights trying to decide between that amp and the McIntosh six channel amp that I bought. I wish we could compare them.

----------------

I would love to hear this amp on all those K-Horns and LaScalas you got there! Same here, I wish we could compare them, I'd have always wanted to hear some McIntosh gear. Unless, you are anywhere near the D.C. or Richmond, VA areas, I don't think it'll be happen anytime soon, unfortunatly.

----------------

On 11/14/2003 2:20:22 PM smilin wrote:

Steve,

May you have noththing but happiness and great listening pleasure
9.gif
If you want you r sub to rock make sure you set all your speaker on smale with the lfe. Happy movies fabulous music hello headroom hear the dbs, feel the music have a great time!!!!

Smilin

----------------

Hey, same goes for you! If people are getting envious of this amp, hell, how do they think I feel about your new SVS B4-Plus subwoofer! A PB2-Ultra will be in my near future! BTW, did you get that thing yet? It seems our friend EasyListener got his new TV and is quite happy with it. Is anybody getting a complete set of speakers? Between us, that'll make for one hell of a setup 9.gif.

----------------

On 11/14/2003 3:38:24 PM easylistener wrote:

Looks great and I bet it sounds even better yet. ENJOY.

----------------

Oh yeah - I still cannot get over the shear clarity, detail, and smoothness of the sound, not to mention the very "alive" and dynamic feel I get out of the Klipsch themselves. If there are any brightness in the Klipsch, I certainly cannot tell it here - it just has such a wonderful sound that is hard to really describe!

Hey, enjoy that new TV you got also! I bet that probably looks as good as this thing sounds! 9.gif

congrats skonopa, i have been running b&k for 5-6 months now, and every day brings new detail, new everything. it is absoutly great gear, by far the best i have listened to, but to understand that you have to have 1 in house, you will listen to all of your music with new appreciation, if you can go the b&k pre as well, it will take you to the next step, the denon is now your weak link12.gif

----------------

On 11/16/2003 11:19:20 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

Congrat's on the great amp, what were you using to power the Klipsch before this?

----------------

A Denon AVR3802 receiver. It is now being used as a pre/pro, although it is still powering a second set of Surrounds (the RS-7s, which are being used as te 'B' surrounds).

Steven,

What are you doing tomorrow morning at about 10:00? Skip work and come up to Baltimore. Larry and I will be playing with my gear and hooking up my new (used) SACD to the Mac/Marantz/Altecs after I drop my wife off at work.

I would have let you know sooner but I just found out today.

It's only a couple hours drive in the middle of rush hour.14.gif