Two Way Speaker

bonedoc

Two way is not, automatically, worse than three way. if that were the case than we would all want four way, or five or ten way speakers.

It is quite possible to design a speaker using only two drivers to cover the intended frequency range. many would suggest that fewer drivers, fewer crossover points, etc. can make for better sound from a given speaker do to the simplicity of the crossover circuit.

Just as the number of watts an amp can put out is not the best way to judge the quality of sound produced by an amp, the number of drivers or crossover points is not the best way to predict the sound quality of a given speaker.

tony

Sal----Yeah, but there's a right way (expensive)and a wrong way(cheap)to do a 2-way with a direct-radiating woofer and a compression driver and horn. The RFs are doing it the wrong way.

The right way is to crossover in the 500-1000hz range but that calls for a higher quality compression driver and larger horn than the RFs use. The RFs cross high and so can use a cheaper driver and smaller horn.

That's if you want to do a serious horn speaker which the RFs are not. I figure them as primarily direct-radiators with a horn tweeter and loading the tweeter so has far less beneficial effect than loading the mids, that's why horn enthusiasts prefer to hear the midrange as well as the highs horn-loaded.

I'm not saying the RFs aren't good speakers, I'm saying they're not good horn speakers.

So it's cheaper to make a Heresy (three drivers), than a set of RF-35's (three drivers). And of course, stamped baskets, paper LF drivers, and plastic diaphragms -- are cheaper to make than anodized woofers with cast baskets, and titanium HF drivers.

----------------

On 11/15/2003 10:22:09 PM TBrennan wrote:

To save money of course. Running the woofs up to 2000+hz is considerabley cheaper than using a dedicated midrange driver and horn. It won't sound as good of course.

----------------

Yep,it won't sound as good as a $50k set of two way but the rf's are much more refined than some others.

me too. took off Thurs not feeling good after the trip to Co., went to work Fri and got really sick Fri night. Been down all day today, temp up around 102. But the wife and son were gone a lot today so cranked up the new KHorns and listened to my favorite tunes. I'm hearing a lot of stuff I never heard before in the tracks, but a lot of it is in frequencys above what the bass horn handles, so it's kind of curious, after all, the mid and hi stuff isn't really any different from my LaScala's. <-- I must be sick to write a run-on sentence like that. :)

My nice 222C took a dive so I dragged out the HF-81, put some tubes in it and let it wail. That thing is just amazing. It kicks some serious butt on the big horns. I'm having a hard time remembering what exactly the Scott does better. :)

I dunno man, this is nice.

Tom

----------------

On 11/15/2003 11:19:39 PM NOSValves wrote:

Deano,

The heresy sure won't sound flat
2.gif

Craig

----------------

Care to explain this? My Heresys measure very flat with an in room response at the listening seat. They also sound incredible.

Here's the graphs I made. The last one is my Heresys after a few simple tweeks. They were measured using warble tones and Rat Shack analog meter.

http://www.geocities.com/the_hurdy_gurdyman/Moreupdates.html

Dave

1.gif

"The heresy sure won't sound flat."

Dave, this is just a running joke between Craig and myself. The midrange with the Reference series is done with the cones, and Craig and many others feel it "lacking" over the horn loaded midrange in the Heritage stuff.

Of course, everyone else is wrong -- and I'm right.9.gif

RF-7 isn't the top of the Klipsch line, the KHorn is. There's also the Belle, LaScala, and Heresy, all of which are 3-way. Too bad they don't still make something like the Chorus or Cornwall for people for whom the LaScala is a bit large.

2-way speakers are a different approach. I find the RF-7 top end to be very clean (no mid/tweter crossover), and they certainly have plenty of low bass. I find the lower midrange to be weak, so instruments that excel there (like piano and cello) sound a bit hollow.

Like all the Klipsch speakers I've owned (Forte-II, Chorus-II, RF-7) crossover component upgrade is worth the cost and effort.

As to TBrennan's comment on cost cutting .. maybe. Klipsch does offer 3-ways, designed just as he described. Does that mean every speaker Klipsch makes have to be just as he describes? probably not.

leo